Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

Im thinking about picking up an SC superlight at the end of summer. I am going to be upgrading from...yes..you guessed it, a trek 8000ht. I have read about this bike for years and it has been my dream ride since i started getting serious into mtb'ing. I understand this is one solid bike.

But since im going to be dropping a lot of cash i want to know alll the nitpicky things about it.

btw- im 160lbs, and will be casually racing/ doing trail riding with 2-3 foot drops.

So what you saying?

cheers
Aaron

·
Registered
395 Posts
I love mine!

I love my Superlight! It is an '02 model and I have had ZERO problems with it. You have to watch the drops though. I have been told by 2 different dealers and SC tech support, that it can not handle repeated drops over 2.5'. It is definitely a x-country frame. I do a lot of 1'-2' drops with no problems though. Give it some basic maintenance and don't get too crazy on it, and it will last forever.
If you really want larger drops, maybe you should look at the Heckler. It is basically just a beefier SL with more travel.

·
Registered
981 Posts
No quirks really to the Superlight. I enjoyed mine when I rode on back in 2002.

The only nit picky item I was concerned about was how the rear der hanger is part of the swingarm, so it's not replaceable. I never had a problem though, but it was something I was concerned about because I snapped rear der hangers on my other bikes. In the end, the quirk just was a figment of my paranoia and having to much spare time ;) because the rear der hanger was solid and I never had a problem with it. ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
yea that permanent dropout has me scared sh!tless
Ha funny because your signature is about Murphy's Law. It's appropriate that you are concerned because if there is a chance of the rear dear snapping, it will happen ;) Just kidding ;)

Back to bikes. I reread your post and you mentioned that the SL has been your dream bike for years, since you've been mtn biking you say. I think you owe it to yourself to look at other frames out there. Alot has changed in suspension design since the glory days of the Superlight. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice bike but if you are dropping that kind of dough, you should know what else is out there.

Check out the Blur frame if you would like to stay in the Santa Cruz family.

With all that said, I think that if you were to get a single pivot XC bike, the Superlight would be it, probably the best refinement of the single pivot XC bike.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The blur is a bit too racy for me. I originally liked the superlight because it was not quite a full blown race bike as it had 4" rear sus. yet it could still perform well.

Its a tough niche im in. I want something like an adventure bike, but i still want to race. I was also looking at the ellsworth truth. But thats nearly twice the price :(

4 inches is a must on the back...

·
Not sure what to type?
567 Posts
Can't beat a Heckler...

trekracer8000 said:
yea that permanent dropout has me scared sh!tless. Im gonna look up the warranties for a bit...

Has anyone suffered a broken SC dropout?
Why not go with a Heckler. You can set it up light if you want and it has a replacable dropout too. The bonus is they are virtually indistructabe.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
hey all,

Im thinking about picking up an SC superlight at the end of summer. I am going to be upgrading from...yes..you guessed it, a trek 8000ht. I have read about this bike for years and it has been my dream ride since i started getting serious into mtb'ing. I understand this is one solid bike.

But since im going to be dropping a lot of cash i want to know alll the nitpicky things about it.

btw- im 160lbs, and will be casually racing/ doing trail riding with 2-3 foot drops.

So what you saying?

cheers
Aaron
Superlight is a great first XC full suspension bike. It is a lightened version of an 80's downhill design (the original Heckler). It firms up when pedaling and braking for a similar handling feel as a hard tail and relaxes the suspension when coasting. It has forgiving handling, not as quick as some others, and it's very stable at higher speeds. It's a proven pro level XC winning racer too although that was about 4 years ago.

- ray

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
The blur is a bit too racy for me. I originally liked the superlight because it was not quite a full blown race bike as it had 4" rear sus. yet it could still perform well.

Its a tough niche im in. I want something like an adventure bike, but i still want to race. I was also looking at the ellsworth truth. But thats nearly twice the price :(

4 inches is a must on the back...
I think the Superlight is more racy that the Blur. I rode a Superlight for two years and loved it, however, I would research other bikes before getting the SL. There are other choices.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
The 5inches on the heckler is a bit too much for me.

Any suggestions for a good 4inch travel frame that is around the same price as the SL 1000$
See if you can track down a Turner Burner - hard to beat for the price. I saw an unused one in the Classifieds for $750 the other day. You might want to call around Supergo see if they have any frames left in their stores.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
I rode my Superlight for a little over two years and I enjoyed every ride and race I had with it. It never let me down. I had that bike in Moab, Pisgah and all over the place in WV. It is a very predictable bike which was my favorite thing about it. It climbed great and handled the rough stuff even better. Right now I am actually debating if I am going to sell the frame or keep it and build it back up later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A friend of mine is currently looking at this bike as a potential purchase.

Just wanted to make sure you saw that Colorado Cyclist has them for $1,500:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...FNBR=275&CRPCGNBR=275&CI=1,223,275&TextMode=0

Not sure what component levels you are looking for, but this XT/LX mix looks pretty good for the price!

Please post if you have found an even better deal so I can pass the word on to my friend OK?

Ride On! - JC

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
The 5inches on the heckler is a bit too much for me.

Any suggestions for a good 4inch travel frame that is around the same price as the SL 1000$
Well not sure what you're looking for exactly in terms of weight and what components you're looking to use, but I'll throw the Trance frameset in as a suggesstion. I think it's around $1,000 and built up nicely is around the 25-26lb category. Reviews of the Maestro suspension design have been rave and in getting a Trance myslef I would have to say it really does work well.

There's also the new TREK Fuel EX line-up with 4" travel and a little beefier than the traditional Fuels.

As suggested a Turner would be a good choice, and Iyou could get a Burner for under a grand.

·
Registered
267 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
hey all,

So what you saying?

cheers
Aaron
Get one!
I have a 2000 frame with a 2004 rear triangle. It's a really great all-around XC bike. I race it almost every weekend during racing season and train on it during the week. We ride really technical terrain out here and it handles it like a champ. My buddy rides a Truth and he's never faster than I am on my Superlight. It's extremely predictable and like others have said, it's very solid on the fast downhills, too. Plus you can build it up really light if you decide you want to race it. Oh, also - I had a derailleur break on me during a race and it got sucked into my rear wheel, thereby bending the derailleur hanger slightly. My LBS simply bent it back and it's 100% good to go.

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
Two things:

1) JC Hammer - Damn that colorado cyclist deal is a lot of bike for the money!!!
2) TrekRacer - Similar bikes, Haro Werx 5 or Shift R7. harobikes.com
3) My Bullit had a der hanger on the swingarm, in three years it bent back several times, never broke.

OK three things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.