Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on a 2010 Pivot mach 4 frame purchase, OE for $1600.

I have a Santa Cruz superlight built up with XT and XTR components ( an 100 mm Fox RLC fork) and ride conservative XC (I'm 50) in the Bend Oregon trails. Don't race but love to climb for excercise. I demo-ed a 5.7 and was very impressed with the ride, but no M4 was available to try.

I can swap out my build onto a 2010 Mach 4 frame. Is this a worthwhile move or should I save my money for an newer version of the M5 or M5.7. Again I doubt I'll ever be an agressive rider but the 5.7 did roll over the rock nicely.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Since you have a fox 100mm fork and seem happy with it, I'd recommend sticking with the M4. New parts will add up quick on the 5.7. New fork, then new thru axle wheels, new stem and handlebars etc. The mach 4 will be more of a direct replacement and a huge upgrade.

I kinda wish I went Mach 4 instead of 5. Don't really need the travel and all my friends ride short travel XC. (Mach 5 keeps up just fine or is faster though! ).

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

·
Paterfamilias
805 Posts
Tim,

Let's just be clear, when you say OE, does that mean On Ebay?

I agree with Joshdurston. You will climb better, and certain you will have more control on descents and technical trails. Single Track will be a dream.

Enjoy the ride when you get it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Tim, for what its worth since you demo'd & liked th mach 5.7 . . .

I have a Blur xc carbon with a 120mm fork that I'm prob gonna sell because i end up riding my mach 5 all the time. Its just so nice, comfortable, crisp, snappy for the amt of travel.

I too do xc riding, nothing crazy and love the safety of more travel that is just as efficient as a xc race bike. I'm much faster on the mach 5 then I have been on any other bike.

You can prob get a good deal on a mach 5 too if you were looking to save a few bucks.

Best of luck,
Cathy

·
Registered
215 Posts
You'll love the Mach 4. I ride and race a 2010 Mach 4, it has a very clean and crisp feel. It descends as well as it climbs, I'm running a 120mm fork and it's basically point and shoot. The DW link has the best performance of the full suspension bikes I've ridden hands down. The bike acclerates like a bullet and I've yet to feel it squat under the load created by pedaling yet it gives nicely on the bumps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My wife upgraded from a SL to a M4. She's been enjoying the M4 and says that it climbs and descends better than the SL. She tried a Mojo, but just didn't like the way it felt. She liked the more responsive nature of the shorter travel bikes apparently. It'd be hard to go wrong with either bike and I sure like my Mojo, but I would think you'd be happy with the way the M4 rides as well as the extra money in your pocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.