Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After doing some research I've pretty much settled on buying a Turner Burner or a Santa Cruz Superlight. However, I would prefer the SL, but im worried about flex. I am 165lbs and will be racing and doing some trail riding with 1- 2 foot drops at speed. Will the SL be too flexy for me?

Cheers
Aaron

·
Registered
125 Posts
flexy in the rear triangle? I never feel it. I do 2-6' table jumps off my superlight and I can't feel a thing (200#'s) in the rear triangle. My front fork is a totally different matter however, I land rear wheel first because if I land flat it tends to bottom (POS ancient leaky SID-100 don't want to talk about it)

Sure it's not a super heavy duty design, but I'm certainly not feeling any flexing going on.

I don't think I'd go any bigger than 6' or so. Plus I hate shinburgers, lol.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
215lbs here and am absolutely loving my SL since buying her a couple of months ago.
I believe that this bike is a huge improvement over my previous NRS.
I do not feel any flex when I am riding.
It just feels solid, fast and ready to climb.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,338 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
Hey all,

After doing some research I've pretty much settled on buying a Turner Burner or a Santa Cruz Superlight. However, I would prefer the SL, but im worried about flex. I am 165lbs and will be racing and doing some trail riding with 1- 2 foot drops at speed. Will the SL be too flexy for me?

Cheers
Aaron
Yes, there is some flex in the rear triangle, but I'm 185 and I rode mine for 3 years and I did not find the flex to be an issue. I noticed it a little bit when I was pushing a high gear on a steep section, the sort of situation when I was mashing so hard I needed to pull up on the handle bar. I never noticed it on rough downhill sections or on drops. For a light xc frame, the Superlight will take an incredible amount of abuse, and I think part of the reason is that it flexes instead of breaking.

I do not think that at 165 flex will be an issue for you.

Kapusta

·
603 Posts
Go with the SL

I've been bashin' my superlight around Colorado for 3 seaons now, and she is still holding up well. The first week I had it I completely shattered the POS headset that it came with...big rock, rider error! I have been very impressed with it's overall durability / realibility, she climbs like a champ. I'm 180# and I can notice a tiny amount a rear flex, but thats an old frame and it has never caused my FOX float to have problems, so it can't be that much flex. The only rear complaint I have for the SL (this would also apply to the Burner) is the single piviot design contributing to the rear brake jack in rough decents. I've only heard good things about the Turners, but I would recomend the SL over the Burner. You could always save up and bet a BLUR!

Porch

I want a Nomad or a Moment...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.