Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
beater
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a while, building my dream bike in my head. Anyway, it occurred to me recently that I don't remember seeing anyone mention Santa Cruz. I have a vague memory that Rob Roskopp is well over 6 feet tall. Rumors of a Santa Cruz 29er? Is 29er riding too removed from the SC philosophy? Thoughts?

I'll admit up front that I could easily be wrong. What I remember about Rob is mostly from reading Trasher when I was an 8th-grade skateboarder. That's been a while.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Not Stupid

evasive said:
I've been lurking here for a while, building my dream bike in my head. Anyway, it occurred to me recently that I don't remember seeing anyone mention Santa Cruz. I have a vague memory that Rob Roskopp is well over 6 feet tall. Rumors of a Santa Cruz 29er? Is 29er riding too removed from the SC philosophy? Thoughts?

I'll admit up front that I could easily be wrong. What I remember about Rob is mostly from reading Trasher when I was an 8th-grade skateboarder. That's been a while.
However the word on the street is that it is not going to happen :(

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
I posted a thread back in January asking for interest in a 29er SC http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=75153&highlight=santa+blur

Response was pretty good so I emailed SC. Here's the response:

I'm afraid there is not much of a chance at this time.
It would be a fun project, but right now we have a bunch of other new/future
projects going, and still have our hands full keeping up with demand with
our current line-up, so trying to squeeze a lower volume 29" model in there
would be pretty difficult. Sorry!

Thanks for the interest, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Scott Turner
Santa Cruz Bicycles
Santa Cruz, California
[email protected]
www.santacruzbicycles.com

Doesn't sound real promising to me. A little more mainstream acceptance and who knows. I'm happy to stick with the builders we have now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Bullit is all ready a 29er

That's right boys,
Bullit chainstays are 17" , and can accept the big wheels. I've been riding this set-up as an experiment for about 3 months now. So far, so good. I'm pleased with all aspects save the weight. Bathroom scale has it at 37# or so. Pretty heavy, but so am I. My son managed to post some pics in the Members gallery under my login. Santa Cruz all ready has the 29er !
Check it out,
57 clydesdale

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ya, that's it

Mahalo Bigwheel,
I had a really hard time posting my pictures, but my teenager got it done. Had to have the cross brace on the fork modified to fit the big wheels, Bigwheel ! It's all good though. So far. My wife said that if I got another new bike, that it'd better come with a place to sleep. So after some thought, creative thinking and research on the faq thread the 29er Bullit was born. I 'm satisfied for now... Thanks again for pulling up the photo.
Aloha Ka'kou,
Leonard

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
pseudo intellectual said:
You've got some crazy bottom bracket clearance on that thing. Must be 15 - 16" above terra firma.
BB is almost the same height as the hubs. Doesn't that defet one of tha advantages of running 29 inch wheels, the higher hubs of a 29 inch wheel relative to the same height BB make it more difficult to endo? Maybe he is one of those rare Endomaniacs.

Two words for the rider of that bike: Tuck and Roll.

·
mtbr memeber
578 Posts
Quasi said:
BB is almost the same height as the hubs. Doesn't that defet one of tha advantages of running 29 inch wheels, the higher hubs of a 29 inch wheel relative to the same height BB make it more difficult to endo? Maybe he is one of those rare Endomaniacs.

Two words for the rider of that bike: Tuck and Roll.
Some sag will take a bit of the height away...

·
Registered
78 Posts
15 1/2 bb height

Yep, get plenty bb clearance. I haven't been otb yet, but the fall off this bike is a fall from a height!. It's an XL frame, and because of the normally high bb on the Bullit (now ultra high)the seat is set @45" from the ground! It's been all fun so far. This is a truly clyde worthy 29er.
Ride on,
Leonard

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
One concern...

...is that a modified, three-piece lower, Z1 on there?

You stated you had the brake arch modified to accomodate the larger wheel. Did you also truncate the stroke so that the tire doesn't hit the crown under full compression?

I like the creativity, just don't want to see another 29er rider get fubar'ed by a fierce endo.

Sean

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
57clydesdale said:
Thanks again for pulling up the photo.
Aloha Ka'kou,
Leonard
Mahalo Leonard,

Always willing to help a bigwheeled bro out. Especially one that has the initiative to do with what they have available and damn the fact that it "shouldn't" work!

Aloha Ka'kou back at you,

Bob
CB

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's true, it's true...

Appreciate the concern. And yes, the tire does in fact top out* on the crown on occasion. Usually happens when coming out of a fast drop into a fast steep up section. I've been fortunate so far and am aware of the situations that will cause that. The sound of the tire knobs grating on the crown is my signal to start getting back on the saddle fast! No harm, no foul,so far. Set up is still just an experiment and is working well. Going downhill,I am definitely having to use brakes alot more with the bigger wheels. More speed more of the time. Could get expensive with the Hope pads costing $20. a set. 29er wheels keep rolling...
Ride on,
Leonard

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good thing that...

my bike skills are better than my computing skills. Even if only slightly.

Howzit Bob,
Thanks again for the assist. Don't know why the sizing came out that way on my photos? Anyway, we went riding on Sunday and it was GOOD. Mahalo Nui loa.

Leonard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.