Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening guys,

There was something about the rear fox coil on my Kona Coiler (think it was the cheapest coil fox do) which seemed plusher and more progressive than my Hecklers Float RP23.

I'm toying with a couple of ideas,

1. Get my RP23 pushed - don't know a great deal about this but see it mentioned a lot on here
2. DHX 5 air - though don't know if this will be a massive improvement with it still being air
3. DHX 5 coil
4. DHX 3 coil
5. Other brand?

Want some advise based on personal feedback from Heckler owners :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
IMO I would stay away from the DHX Air. I swapped one for my float rp23 and it was horrible, at least for my style of riding (xc/trail). I still need my Heckler to pedal and climb good and the DHX air was killing me. I switched back to my float rp23 and noticed a big difference. I'm sure in certain riding applications the dhx air is good on the Heckler but if you are still wanting to pedal a lot and climb I would stay away from it. I never ran a coil shock but they are supposed to match up quite well with the Heckler. If you still want to experiment with the dhx air I'll sell you mine. It's a 2009 dhx air 5.0 with only a handful of rides on it.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Once you realize that air shocks aren't plush or progressive on a Heckler it is time to put on a coil. Even tuned by Push the air shock will not be as plush and the air spring will never work as well on this frame. Speaking from experience and out of personal preference of course ;)

Out of the choices listed I would go with the DHX5 coil. Maybe down the line you could send that to Push for an upgrade to the Factory kit with HS/LS compression adjust.

Currently I am running either an Avalanche tuned 5th or an X-Fusion Vector HLR coil on my Heckler. The 5th ain't all bad, but the x-fusion puts it to shame for trail riding.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nonsense. Try the 2010 RP23 first, then try and tell me that Airshocks aren't plush or progressive. That damn shock is the best thing I've tried in a long, LONG time. Made a HUGE difference on my Blur 4x over the older RP3.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Heckler is a different beast than a VPP. VPP can get by on very light damping. The heckler on the other hand thrives on heavier damping. With an air shock and light damping the heckler leaves you with little choice. It is either pump up the pressure so high that the small bump sucks or run it low and deal with the thing riding at 1/2-3/4 way through travel on a flat trail. That is the nature of it. With a modern coil shock those issues fade away. Maybe the boost valve RP23 with stiffer damping can help. I wouldn't bother though. The OP is looking for plush and progressive. On a heckler plush+progressive = Coil ;)

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Us guys like shiny new toys though and forking out the best part of £300 for the same thing i've already got now, be it the 2010 model is hard to justify LOL :)

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend £90 and push my current 2008 RP23?

What size shock am I looking for too - measurement wise, when pricing up a coil? and any ideas on spring rate? i'm 79 kilo / 174 lbs.

SC website reckons 400/450

TF tuned etc is saying 600!

my Kona Coiler had a 700 on it :-S

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So it seems the SC site is more accurate about coil lbs. I suppose different suspension designs react different to coil lbs?

My coiler would compress the 700lbs coil vertically on a faux bar style system, where heckler more horizontal on a completely different axis and mechanism? hence being ok with 300 lbs less coil?

or am i talking rubbish LOL :madman: :D

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I hated the RP23 on the Heckler. Felt like my old Pro-flex Animal :lol: The DHX coil was beautiful. I ran it with no propedal and about 1/3rd sag and loved the bike. It was one of the DHX without the bottom out adjustment and I think if I had it, I would have turned up the bottom out.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I run a DHX 5 coil on my Heckler (current gen), air was never a consideration, they simply aren't as good IMHO (but haven't tried one recently, either). I'm 200 plus gear and prefer the 400 over the SC recommended 450; I also tried a 350 for kicks, too soft. Keep in mind the ratings aren't necessarily accurate either, they vary a bit from rating for each spring, many seem to think on the conservative side (altho you'd have to test one to really find out, really not worth it).

I ran the tftuned numbers, came up for your 79kg (you enter your lbs as kgs?) a 336 recommendation at 33% sag, 358 at 28%. I see the current chart at SC shows the DHX RC4 coil recommendations, a bit different from what I remember when the chart was for the DHX 5 coil, pretty sure the 200 rating was just 450 for example, but not positive which others might be different.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.