Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2020 Nomad and it's way different from what I'm used to. I plan on using this for mainly bike park laps and some enduro style riding at my local trails. Can anyone with a SC Nomad V4 list what Fork / Shock they are using and any recommend settings (volume reducers, air pressure, coil size, ect) need to get this sorted fast as we have some trips to Highland & Mountain Creek coming up soon.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1. Get one of our links.
2. Run a 230 x 65 shock.
3. Shred park.

In all seriousness though 15% sag on the fork and 30% on the rear while seated is what we recommend starting at regardless of link. The SC recommended spring rates are low if you're running coil. With air 1-3 volume reducers. We'd recommend running a 50 lb heavier spring than what their site says. Rebound and compression damping always takes time to dial in. Just make sure the rebound is fast enough that it doesn't pack up through chunder, but not so fast that it feels like a pogo stick. The recommended damping settings from the manufacturer are usually a good starting point.

I weight 150 lbs. Here's my setup for reference:
- 230 x 65 Super Deluxe coil with 500 lb spring (I also have a Super Deluxe air that I run at 160 psi with a gnar dog) I have rebound four clicks from full fast and LSC 6 clicks from closed.
- 200 mm RS Boxxer WC up front 125 psi (ran a 180 mm 36 in the past but the bike park makes it develop the CSU creak way too quick) similar damping and rebound settings to rear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just got my 2020 Nomad and it's way different from what I'm used to. I plan on using this for mainly bike park laps and some enduro style riding at my local trails. Can anyone with a SC Nomad V4 list what Fork / Shock they are using and any recommend settings (volume reducers, air pressure, coil size, ect) need to get this sorted fast as we have some trips to Highland & Mountain Creek coming up soon.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
When you say it feels different, what are you comparing it to?

·
Registered
145 Posts
@CC, does your link change the whole leverage ratio, or just give extended travel? What is the benefit of running this link besides extra travel and longer shock?
It changes the leverage ratio to be more progressive on top of increasing travel. With the longer shock it essentially behaves like the last 190 mm of the V10's travel, but it's still able to climb like the stock set up does. The small bump sensitivity is significantly better and there's more mid stroke support and bottom out resistance.

Blue Colorfulness Yellow Text Slope

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Get one of our links.
2. Run a 230 x 65 shock.
3. Shred park.

In all seriousness though 15% sag on the fork and 30% on the rear while seated is what we recommend starting at regardless of link. The SC recommended spring rates are low if you're running coil. With air 1-3 volume reducers. We'd recommend running a 50 lb heavier spring than what their site says. Rebound and compression damping always takes time to dial in. Just make sure the rebound is fast enough that it doesn't pack up through chunder, but not so fast that it feels like a pogo stick. The recommended damping settings from the manufacturer are usually a good starting point.

I weight 150 lbs. Here's my setup for reference:
- 230 x 65 Super Deluxe coil with 500 lb spring (I also have a Super Deluxe air that I run at 160 psi with a gnar dog) I have rebound four clicks from full fast and LSC 6 clicks from closed.
- 200 mm RS Boxxer WC up front 125 psi (ran a 180 mm 36 in the past but the bike park makes it develop the CSU creak way too quick) similar damping and rebound settings to rear.
Thanks for all the info. I was actually looking at your link, how does the leverage ratio differ between a 60 vs 65 shock. Does running the link affect the SC warranty?
Also does SC install any volume spacers in the Super Deluxe Air from the factory?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I was actually looking at your link, how does the leverage ratio differ between a 60 vs 65 shock. Does running the link affect the SC warranty?
Also does SC install any volume spacers in the Super Deluxe Air from the factory?
Thanks again.
The stock Super Deluxe doesn't come with any volume reducers from the factory. I found with the stock link it was spending too much time low in its travel so I put the gnar dog in.

With the 65 mm stroke shock there's a little added progression past the 60 mm stroke mark. The main thing the longer stroke buys you is the ability to run a little more sag if you want to or a little extra cushion for larger hits. For bike park riding the 190 mm set up is phenomenal. Honestly I just run it that way all the time though. With the proper shock tune the extra travel does not make it seem like too much bike relative to the stock set up.

As for warranty we've heard conflicting things. One of our customers talked to Santa Cruz and they said they were told the link didn't affect the warranty unless it was the cause of the failure. On the other hand we've heard someone say that it would void the warranty right away. Our takeaway from this is that it depends on the day you talk to them. And of course the stock link could always find its way back onto the bike...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stock Super Deluxe doesn't come with any volume reducers from the factory. I found with the stock link it was spending too much time low in its travel so I put the gnar dog in.

With the 65 mm stroke shock there's a little added progression past the 60 mm stroke mark. The main thing the longer stroke buys you is the ability to run a little more sag if you want to or a little extra cushion for larger hits. For bike park riding the 190 mm set up is phenomenal. Honestly I just run it that way all the time though. With the proper shock tune the extra travel does not make it seem like too much bike relative to the stock set up.

As for warranty we've heard conflicting things. One of our customers talked to Santa Cruz and they said they were told the link didn't affect the warranty unless it was the cause of the failure. On the other hand we've heard someone say that it would void the warranty right away. Our takeaway from this is that it depends on the day you talk to them. And of course the stock link could always find its way back onto the bike...
If you run the longer shock does it lower the BB? Both my last bikes had a coil in the rear and think that might be what I need to do on this one. Also i'm around 5'8" and on a medium frame with the stock 50mm stem, what size frame and stem do you have for your height?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you run the longer shock does it lower the BB? Both my last bikes had a coil in the rear and think that might be what I need to do on this one. Also i'm around 5'8" and on a medium frame with the stock 50mm stem, what size frame and stem do you have for your height?
Once you've been on a coil rear for a while it's hard to go back to air.

Have you tried cycling the shock a good few times while you're adding air with the air pump still attached to equalize the pressure? I hear this mentioned a lot with the super deluxe air

·
Registered
145 Posts
The link with both the 60 and 65 mm shock has the same BB height as the Nomad does in its high setting. We did this to maintain pedaling performance and ensure not tire clearance issues with the longer shock.

I'm also 5'8" and riding a medium with a 50 mm stem. Provided it's on a dual crown so the cockpit is a little different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The link with both the 60 and 65 mm shock has the same BB height as the Nomad does in its high setting. We did this to maintain pedaling performance and ensure not tire clearance issues with the longer shock.

I'm also 5'8" and riding a medium with a 50 mm stem. Provided it's on a dual crown so the cockpit is a little different.
Can a 60 shock be run in the low setting without any clearance issues and would the BB height be the same as the stock link?
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Coming of a Nomad v2 and a Cove STD both of which have shorter front ends.
Not sure if that's it. Currently have a 50mm stem maybe a 35mm would help.
Give yourself some time to adapt to the longer reach and maybe run the stem a little higher than you used to (something not uncommon with more reach). I went from a v2 to a 4 and run my stem about 10mm higher (used to run 10mm with zero rise, now using 20). I may test 25-30mm higher again in steeper terrain but I didn't like the way it made my steering feel. Either way it's going to take a little time to adapt to new generation geometry, riding off the back of the bike isn't really needed but old habits are hard and then you never feel like you can get back far enough. Sounds like what your experiencing too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can a 60 shock be run in the low setting without any clearance issues and would the BB height be the same as the stock link?
Thanks again for all the help.
The BB height will be the same as the stock link. We did away with the flip chip actually. For one because it didn't get used much and secondly because any lower and extra fat tires would have clearance issues at bottom out with the 65 shock. The link is designed with a very specific shock mounting location in mind for optimal performance so you wouldn't want to move it anyway or the leverage ratio curve would be less desirable.

When I was running the 36 I had a 40 mm stem on it. The reason I switched to a 50 was because the offset on a Boxxer works better with a 50. The shorter stem felt quite normal so the shorter stem certainly is a good option.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On Santa Cruz website, under shock setup, it describes setting rear shock sag between 25-33% while standing evenly on the pedals. Is this correct? I’ve always set rear sag to about 30% while seated. If set standing evenly centered on the pedals @30% sag, that would be approximately 40+% while seated. So which method is preferable? I realize sag is just a starting point and should ultimately be set by feel and rider preference, but is the Nomad supposed to be sagged at 40+% seated???

·
Registered
145 Posts
On Santa Cruz website, under shock setup, it describes setting rear shock sag between 25-33% while standing evenly on the pedals. Is this correct? I've always set rear sag to about 30% while seated. If set standing evenly centered on the pedals @30% sag, that would be approximately 40+% while seated. So which method is preferable? I realize sag is just a starting point and should ultimately be set by feel and rider preference, but is the Nomad supposed to be sagged at 40+% seated???
We do seated because it's the most consistent in terms of weight you actually put on the rear vs the front. 30% while seated usually feels more or less spot on. If you're seated and the Nomad is at 40% sag it just feels way too low and pedals awkwardly. Their recommended spring rates on their site really are way too low. I started there when I had the stock link on and immediately could tell I needed to go up 100 lbs in spring rate at least. This was with a DHX2. Rockshox is a little stiffer, but still the recommended was too low.

If anyone is interested here's a spreadsheet I made for calculating a better starting point for the Nomad's spring rate. https://claroworks-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/p/jimmy/EWu07wClkJ9Amb3MJ3VZlMsBtTGHQlh7kpAB6sxfPn0sng?e=uX7EPX. This is with the stock link. Info about our rates for our link are on our site, but there's also a spreadsheet for that too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am about 200# R2R. With a Fox DHX2 and stock link what size spring should I get? Santa Cruz website says 500-550. On my V2 Nomad I run a 500# spring with a Fox DHX RC4 with the Push link and it is spot on. Should I stay with a 500# spring for my N4, or go up to 550#? I want about 30% sag, and a nice plush ride DH, but still some poppiness.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am about 200# R2R. With a Fox DHX2 and stock link what size spring should I get? Santa Cruz website says 500-550. On my V2 Nomad I run a 500# spring with a Fox DHX RC4 with the Push link and it is spot on. Should I stay with a 500# spring for my N4, or go up to 550#? I want about 30% sag, and a nice plush ride DH, but still some poppiness.
I would go up to a 550 spring at least, but since you already have the 500 does hurt to try it. That said at 40 lbs lighter than you geared up I run a 500 spring even with the stock link. If you ride the 500 take it easy at first because I suspect you'll blow through the travel easily. The ideal spring rate for you based off my math would be 585 so a 550 would give a slightly plusher feel and the 500 would be ultra plush but maybe too easy to use all the travel. The other thing to take into consideration is ride height while seated. If you run too soft of a spring pedaling will become awkward because the rear will sag way more than the front and kind of tip the bike backwards. It's easy to tell if a spring is too light because the front will feel too raked out while pedaling seated.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.