Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
tastes like chicken
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find a thread on this so I thought I would post it.

Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz, FOX and Barry Swenson Builder is presenting the Santa Cruz Mountain bike festival in Aptos, CA April 5-6 (this weekend)

Details here: Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival | April 5-6, 2014 in Aptos, California.

There will be a lot of stuff that mountain bikers love like great food, beer, lots of bike demos from the biggest bike companies like Specialized, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot, Trek, Niner, Marin, etc... There are shuttle rides into the Demo forest so grab a new bike and take it into the forest for a few hours.

There will be kids events, live music, dirt jump competition and demo with the Aptos post office folks and a big air bag for your stage diving pleasure.

The weather is looking great for this weekend and it should be a blast.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
This was a hoot last year! Do you still need some volunteer help?

PSA: They have a free bike valet (cool, huh?). And if you're there late in the day and have to drive back over the hill, but don't want to deal with the Hwy. 17 parking lot, then Soquel-San Jose Rd. to Summit to Old Santa Cruz Hwy. is your ticket to freedom.

·
tastes like chicken
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Details on parking and bike valet

This was a hoot last year! Do you still need some volunteer help?
Definitely!! From the MBoSC list "...we're still recruiting volunteers to help out with set up and tear down, and a whole slew of things in between. Contact [email protected] if you can help."

Set up is on Friday so if you folks have flex hours and are in the Aptos area then please come down to help us build out the festival.

PSA: They have a free bike valet. And if you're there late in the day and have to drive back over the hill, but don't want to deal with the Hwy. 17 parking lot, then Soquel-San Jose Rd. to Summit to Old Hwy. 17 is your ticket to freedom.
Thanks for the PSA. People Power Santa Cruz will be providing free bike valet parking. You may want park away from the festival, bring a townie or road bike to the festival and then pick out an awesome demo bike to ride around.

Here is a link to the secret Festival parking map:

http://goo.gl/Z1fO3p

<br /><small>View <a href="https://www.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&msid=217779298875716645833.0004d928fef2d4b82e3d1&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=36.977015,-121.90125&spn=0.016456,0.027466&z=15&iwloc=0004da22d4c63484bf3ce&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">SCMBF 2014 Parking</a> in a larger map</small>

Some messaging about parking I drafted up:

"We are encouraging folks to bring a bike (doesn't have to be a good one) to get to the venue after you park away from the festival. We have free bike valet parking at the Festival and you can demo a new bike from the multitude of demo vendors on site."

"If you are driving from out of town, we encourage you take the Rio Del Mar exit, drive north along the Soquel Ave frontage road and find a place to park. Also, consider parking at Seacliff State Beach, pay the park day use fee (about $10) and ride up Center Ave to Spreckles Drive to Soquel Drive to the festival.

We will have festival parking signs that show the places to park in the neighborhood. Please honor all parking conditions and restrictions. The residents and businesses of Aptos have allowed this festival in their neighborhood for many years. They have been gracious hosts and have worked with us on parking solutions so please be considerate and respectful."

Hope to see you all there! I'll probably be working in the MBoSC booth all weekend talking about the SDSF Flow Trail, Scotts Valley pump track, and the opportunities at Coast Dairies/CEMEX.

The team is engaged doing the final arrangements and we will start to prep the site tomorrow. Should be a fun weekend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So excited its the 5th Anniversary of the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival!

If you haven't been to the festival in past years you have missed out. The festival is celebrating it's 5th Anniversary! Their will be over 14 demo trucks from multiple bike companies and service vehicles from FOX and SRAM.

If you want to perfect your bike skills are get some great coaching check out the Clinics by Sweetline's and All Ride this year.

Last but not least the awesome After Party Sponsored by Smith Optics featuring Coffee Zombie Collective and yummy beer from Discretion Brewery. Smith Optics will be matching all beer sales during the party from 3pm to 6pm which funds will go back to our local trails.

This is a fundraising community event which proceeds go back to local bike projects in Santa Cruz County. Check the website out to see all the fun activities for this years festival!

Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz, FOX and Barry Swenson Builder is presenting the Santa Cruz Mountain bike festival in Aptos, CA April 5-6 (this weekend)

Details here: Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival | April 5-6, 2014 in Aptos, California.

There will be a lot of stuff that mountain bikers love like great food, beer, lots of bike demos from the biggest bike companies like Specialized, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot, Trek, Niner, Marin, etc... There are shuttle rides into the Demo forest so grab a new bike and take it into the forest for a few hours.

There will be kids events, live music, dirt jump competition and demo with the Aptos post office folks and a big air bag for your stage diving pleasure.

The weather is looking great for this weekend and it should be a blast.[/QUOTE]

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
There is an automatic sign-up website for volunteers. Deets:

"We're using VolunteerSpot (the leading online signup and reminder tool) to organize our upcoming activity.

Please sign up for Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival - here's how it works in 3 easy steps:

1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: Invitation ? VolunteerSpot
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots - VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.

Thanks so much for your help!"

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I want to volunteer but my one daughters has Gymnastics Nationals Saturday and the other is playing her first ever soccer game Sunday. Dang it....gonna be hard to miss those but I would LOVE to volunteer again. It was so fun and met tons of rad folks and got a free saddle.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
Good luck to your girls Squash! That's awesome!

·
roadie
744 Posts
the little squashes are gonna squash it. good luck!

i'm gonna be out taking photos sunday. might be able to swing by saturday

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'll be bike-less Fri afternoon -> Sunday due to anniversary weekend. Second year in a row where the festival is trumped by other things.

If back early enough Sunday (wife mumbled something about wanting to come home earlier than later), then I will attempt to take a swing down that way. I was figuring we wouldn't be back until late evening.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
This is a great event, I will be there on Sunday riding with the family up Nicene Marks and then hang out in the expo and take some photos and eat some grub (BBQ!)

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
Go get some! We stopped by yesterday after our ride at UC+Wilder and parked our bikes with the valet. There was lots of car parking just after passing through Aptos.

Our first priority was food! We got the pulled pork sandwich w/ coleslaw and meat pizza. Delicious.. Topped it off with a vanilla milkshake.

Lots of demos of high-end bikes and vendor stalls. We went around a couple times. Got a raffle ticket and the GF bought a cool skirt. Got free massages. Pump tracks were packed with riders. I think the pump track has gotten a lot bigger since I was last there.

Watched kids hucking their meat on the Post Office jumps. Always amazing when I'm watching. Saw one of them shear his thru-axle tabs landing after a jump! Got up right after so he wasn't hurt.

The weather is looking great for this weekend and it should be a blast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts