Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Matt Klymson's triumphant return to Vancouver was celebrated with a North Shore mini-Hell Ride last Sunday.

Matt is still smiling on the ascent:

The smiles slowly disappear as we get high ... 3,000 ft high to be exact:

Posing with the proverbial Gift Hoss at the CBC Trailhead

Things get off to a rocky start as Matt discovers that even an American-made $5,000 mountain bike can suffer from the "dabbing problems" that plague those cheap foreign imports (yes folks, it really is the bike):

Soon we are enjoying a sunny day deep in the forest

As we complete CBC and move onto corkscrew, confidence starts to ooze from unarmoured parts of the body

And then its onto Ned's. Here is Matt on Bottletop (see altitude profile below):

With one mountain down, its one more to go - we go up Lynn Valley, onto Mountain Highway for another 2600+ feet of downhill, starting at 7th Secret:

and ending up on Griffin. Here's the damage - 40 miles, 6,000+ feet ascending, 5+ hours pedalling on a freeride/DH bike (about 90% offroad) and a, like, gazillion North Shore trails:

Here's the time profile:

Here's a little present for all you kids out there doing cardiac training - remember - use the descents to recover:

Here's the ride we're going to try to do next time (the same as the one here but with 30 miles - Burnaby Mountain - or so added it):

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Sweet ride. Didn't realize you guys had nearly 3000ft climbs in that area. That's one huge climb. Looks a little drier than what I expected. You guys in a drought? :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's weird. Unless I'm making a mistake, you guys climbed as fast as you descended. I mean comparing the distance profile to the time profile. Do you have a speed profile too?
Je ne comprend pas.

·
No. Just No.
5,359 Posts
Maiden voyage

Hey Duncan, here's the pics of me on Air Supply and Walk in the Clouds? ;)

Duncan can descend faster than he climbs. Me on the other hand...

Actually, the downward segments had a couple of armour on/off breaks, lots of "what trail now?" stops, time for me to pause and look over the edge of just about every obstacle to see what was over the other side (first time for me on some of the trails), a bunch of "Let me try that again" sections, etc.

As always, Duncan was an excellent guide who made sure we had a pretty wicked outing. I was pretty sketchy to start not having been on the Shore in a while, but started to warm up to my usual baseline later in the ride. The VP Free SC hooked me up with is a really, really nice machine.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rocky said:
That's weird. Unless I'm making a mistake, you guys climbed as fast as you descended. I mean comparing the distance profile to the time profile. Do you have a speed profile too?
Je ne comprend pas.
I noticed that too and quick recheck of the plots suggested that the data is right .... but its not that surprising. The descents are not straightaways. The descent is technical singletrack, with tight switchbacks, boulders, logs, vertical drops, ladder bridges, log rides, as well as some pedalling uphill out of gullies. Also, I've estimated calorie outputs (from number of heartbeats) from one of these descents (7th secret, the second one), and I actually burn as many calories going flat out on the 2,500 ft descent as on the 2,500 ft climb. You can't see it in this one, because I'm recovering by periodically stopping to make sure Matt is still behind me (it was his first ride there).

I can think of at least one North Shore ride (CBC->Corkscrew->Pingu->Pangor->Boogieman->Empress) where the technical 3,000 ft ride down can easily take longer than the ride up (for me at least).

I'll see if I can dig out the speed profile (data has been exported from Polar to Excel). D.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LeeL said:
What no Cypress? Sorry I missed out on this one duncan. I love the graphs and the profiles
Come on the next one! You will have to carry a backpack full of rocks so you don't get too far ahead. D.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Sweet ride. Didn't realize you guys had nearly 3000ft climbs in that area. That's one huge climb. Looks a little drier than what I expected. You guys in a drought? :D
Yes ... lots of climbing around here. The beauty is that we start at sea-level, so no altitude issues to speak of. Its been a hot, dry summer here .... D.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Duncan! said:
Come on the next one! You will have to carry a backpack full of rocks so you don't get too far ahead. D.
Would you guys be interested in a Saturday epic style ride? Squamish or North Van or whatever? I have a set of trails in your backyard where we can do loops that you probably don't know.

btw when I did the 7th Secret Race - the top finishers solo were doing about 20 minutes up and 25 minutes down. I was 22 up and 28 down. 7th is a pretty slow trail though

·
No. Just No.
5,359 Posts
I'm in for Saturday epic

LeeL said:
Would you guys be interested in a Saturday epic style ride? Squamish or North Van or whatever? I have a set of trails in your backyard where we can do loops that you probably don't know.

btw when I did the 7th Secret Race - the top finishers solo were doing about 20 minutes up and 25 minutes down. I was 22 up and 28 down. 7th is a pretty slow trail though
Family will be out of town, so I have entire day free on Saturday. Was leaning towards Squamish or ferry to Roberts Creek (I've been trying to recruit some people to come along for a few days now) but I'm open to suggestions. Looking over the weather forecast it seems likely the trails around these parts will be pretty soggy by Saturday though.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Circlip said:
Family will be out of town, so I have entire day free on Saturday. Was leaning towards Squamish or ferry to Roberts Creek (I've been trying to recruit some people to come along for a few days now) but I'm open to suggestions. Looking over the weather forecast it seems likely the trails around these parts will be pretty soggy by Saturday though.
Duncan? I can play tour guide in the Sunshine coast if you want?

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LeeL said:
Duncan? I can play tour guide in the Sunshine coast if you want?
I might be able to wrangle Saturday off and go to the sunshine coast. (XC bikes?). I'll keep you posted. I'd like to see the trails you mentioned that come out onto my street. Just watch out for bears! D.<- Cleaning bear sh!t off the lawn these days.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Duncan! said:
I might be able to wrangle Saturday off and go to the sunshine coast. (XC bikes?). I'll keep you posted. I'd like to see the trails you mentioned that come out onto my street. Just watch out for bears! D.<- Cleaning bear sh!t off the lawn these days.
If its Sunshine coast then XC bikes for sure. Maybe slightly bigger tires just for the Cunning Stunts stuff?

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LeeL said:
If its Sunshine coast then XC bikes for sure. Maybe slightly bigger tires just for the Cunning Stunts stuff?
Wrenched my gimped knee on Neds, I'm taking vitamin "I's" and applying ice right now. Maybe I'll pass on the stunts or maybe I'll bring my knee brace. D.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Yup, staying at my parents place Friday & Saturday nights. Better than camping at the school...

We have ridden from the ferry up there a couple of times. Nice road ride if you wait for all the ferry traffic to clear before starting.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.