Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the demo day down here in San Diego at Mission Trails this morning. For those unfamiliar with the area, it's an area with alot of pretty basic single track and some fire roads mixed in. Nothing crazy gnarly, extreme or close to being too difficuly. A nice place to get a workout in without killing yourself.

I'm not the most articulate when it comes to describing a bike's traits but I know what I like and **I LIKE THAT TALLBOY**!! :D Being a 45 year old "old guy" and just getting back into mtn biking after a 7-8 year hiatus, this is what I remember liking about the sport. I like that it has enough suspension to soak up the small bumps and rolls as smooth as can be everywhere else. I have a Banshee Rune that my son will ride if I get a Tallboy. I was all set to get a Blur LTc and have ridden a friends but now I'm going all in on my first 29'er. Besides, I have the Rune to ride if I really need all that suspension.

I was with (4) other people....my 16 year old son who rode the carbon Nomad and a Blur LTc. He thinks the Blur is the shiznit. A 16 year friend who is a serious rider and has a 43 lb Bullitt now. He rode the carbon Nomad and a Tallboy...hated the Tallboy but loves, the carbon Nomad. Two other old guys, one that rides an alu Nomad but he now wants the Tallboy as well. The other guy rides an unknown 26 lb Gary Fisher model. He demo'd the Tallboy and carbon Nomad, he liked them both but won't be buying eithet model anytime soon. There was a 35 year old female there that runs a mtn bike tour company in SD. She was looking for a bike that she can buy 5-6 of for clients. She said she gets alot of questions about 29'ers but she didn't like the Tallboy as much as the Butcher. She thought the Tallboy front end was squirrely on climbs...?

The Santa Cruz reps there said that the Tallboy is currently their #1 selling bike :thumbsup: Not good news for somebody like likes to shop for a deal. All the bikes there were set up with SRAM, mostly XO and XX 2x10 stuff. Some tubeless, some not, various tires and alot of the bikes had Rock Shox Reverbs. All in all, a great way to check out multiple bikes. I was pretty impressed with the bike quality and attitudes of all teh SC staff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
k2rider1964 said:
Went to the demo day down here in San Diego at Mission Trails this morning. For those unfamiliar with the area, it's an area with alot of pretty basic single track and some fire roads mixed in. Nothing crazy gnarly, extreme or close to being too difficuly. A nice place to get a workout in without killing yourself.

I'm not the most articulate when it comes to describing a bike's traits but I know what I like and **I LIKE THAT TALLBOY**!! :D Being a 45 year old "old guy" and just getting back into mtn biking after a 7-8 year hiatus, this is what I remember liking about the sport. I like that it has enough suspension to soak up the small bumps and rolls as smooth as can be everywhere else. I have a Banshee Rune that my son will ride if I get a Tallboy. I was all set to get a Blur LTc and have ridden a friends but now I'm going all in on my first 29'er. Besides, I have the Rune to ride if I really need all that suspension.

I was with (4) other people....my 16 year old son who rode the carbon Nomad and a Blur LTc. He thinks the Blur is the shiznit. A 16 year friend who is a serious rider and has a 43 lb Bullitt now. He rode the carbon Nomad and a Tallboy...hated the Tallboy but loves, the carbon Nomad. Two other old guys, one that rides an alu Nomad but he now wants the Tallboy as well. The other guy rides an unknown 26 lb Gary Fisher model. He demo'd the Tallboy and carbon Nomad, he liked them both but won't be buying eithet model anytime soon. There was a 35 year old female there that runs a mtn bike tour company in SD. She was looking for a bike that she can buy 5-6 of for clients. She said she gets alot of questions about 29'ers but she didn't like the Tallboy as much as the Butcher. She thought the Tallboy front end was squirrely on climbs...?

The Santa Cruz reps there said that the Tallboy is currently their #1 selling bike :thumbsup: Not good news for somebody like likes to shop for a deal. All the bikes there were set up with SRAM, mostly XO and XX 2x10 stuff. Some tubeless, some not, various tires and alot of the bikes had Rock Shox Reverbs. All in all, a great way to check out multiple bikes. I was pretty impressed with the bike quality and attitudes of all teh SC staff. :thumbsup:
I'm going to the SC demo tomorrow, how many Tallboys do they bring and how many people showed up? Did you have to wait to ride a Tallboy? Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Demos were supposed to start at 0900. We got there at 0830 and were the 1st to go out. They had (6) Tallboys.....(1) XXL, (1) XL, (2) L and (2) M. All but the XXL were by far the most popular bikes to demo. They didn't have any Juliana's or Superlights.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the info. The demo starts at 7 to 12 so I probably won't be there beforehand. Will take my chances later in the morning. I like you am getting back in to mtb'ing and I'm hoping the Tallboy will get me back into it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Santa Cruz demo

I did the same as you a year ago. My demo TB was Rock Shock equip. The bike rode great but the fork and rear shock were holding it back. I built mine with the Fox 120 fork and the RP23. Much smoother ride than the demo. Get the 120mm fork the bike need's it,also I use the RP23 pro pedal alot. Makes climbing better.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fruitafrank said:
I did the same as you a year ago. My demo TB was Rock Shock equip. The bike rode great but the fork and rear shock were holding it back. I built mine with the Fox 120 fork and the RP23. Much smoother ride than the demo. Get the 120mm fork the bike need's it,also I use the RP23 pro pedal alot. Makes climbing better.
This is the set-up that the SC rider/mechanic I spoke with at the Demo recommended as well (Fox 120 w/ RP23). It was a female who was a mid-pack cross country pro at one point and now rides a V10. I assume she has a clue what she's talking about :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts