Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Thought I would share some initial thoughts on the New SC Bullit, S build.

I ride ~4 times a week and also own the HT2 and Blur. I am 210 kitted. Bought the Bullit (bit the Bullit?) to open up new terrain (Elfin Forest / Equine Loop, Overlook area) practice jump lines, blast up boring fire roads to get to the good stuff faster. Those that ride Black Mountain, Greer, Vail, here in SoCal know what I am talking about.

Pros:
  • Geometry - wouldn't change a thing - usually have to slide my seat very far forward, on the Bullit, it is past mid way towards the back due to steeper seat tube angle.
  • Suspension - Fox Performance 38 fork is awesome - can't really imagine why I would need anything above this on an eBike
  • Drive train - GX does the job - note eBikes tend to come with a "one at a time" shifting mech - theory is 2-3 gears per push might break a chain under the load of an eBike
  • Handling - MX / mullet wheels is definitely an asset here - Handling doesn't feel much different than my Hightower 2 - weight "sometimes" comes into play and results with under steer, but that is expected with a 49 lb bike.
  • Climbing power - it is crazy how these eBikes climb up over very technical terrain
  • Climbing traction - unreal, seriously.
  • Battery efficiency (easily go 30 miles in trail mode with heavy climbing - 210 kitted rider)
  • Quiet motor when engaged
  • Intuitive - Amazing torque that kicks in very intuitively - the bikes does really well in track standing, technical riding. It is uncanny how intuitive it is.
  • SDG Tellis dropper so far has been bombproof.
Cons:
  • SRAM front 220mm rotor has that intermittent "zinging" noise (reset pistons, trued rotor, tried new rotor, spread out spring, nothing works to silence this. Alternative pads maybe?)
  • EP8 does have the well-documented metallic rattle while not pedaling if you are going over really anything uneven - it apparently is caused by the motor's clutch engaging / dis engaging as a function of chain tension. The volume is around what chain slap would sound like. Wish there was a fix for this - I am going to attempt to upgrade the DTSwiss 370 internals to 240 with the 54T ratchet to see if that removes any chain play. The current DTSwiss 370 is a 3 pawl system and there is more play in the ratchet than I am used to.
Otherwise, the bike is super quiet. The Bullit is great for its intended purpose. Just wish the brake rotors were quieter and Shimano would issue some sort of hot fix for the rattle sound (even though they have stated publicly that this sound is a normal function of the motor).

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cons:
  • SRAM front 220mm rotor has that intermittent "zinging" noise (reset pistons, trued rotor, tried new rotor, spread out spring, nothing works to silence this. Alternative pads maybe?)
  • EP8 does have the well-documented metallic rattle while not pedaling if you are going over really anything uneven - it apparently is caused by the motor's clutch engaging / dis engaging as a function of chain tension. The volume is around what chain slap would sound like. Wish there was a fix for this - I am going to attempt to upgrade the DTSwiss 370 internals to 240 with the 54T ratchet to see if that removes any chain play. The current DTSwiss 370 is a 3 pawl system and there is more play in the ratchet than I am used to
I have the same occasional zinging noise on mine. Although for example last ride I don't remember it happening at all. I think it's caused by the large diameter disc and the fact the the fork and and hub are not completely rigid. Probably not much one can do about it? About the motor noise, I don't hear anything while riding (coasting) downhill tracks (maybe because of wind and sounds of tires?). It's sometimes there in mellow trail riding with rocks and roots, but very subtle. For me it's a complete non-issue as I barely hear it. But I do have the DT350 rear hub with X01 kit, so maybe the ratchet drive system reduces chain movement while coasting on rough ground?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great review thanks

Did you go for the same frame size as your HT V2 ??

I ride a large HT V2 so I'm thinking of sticking with a large Bullit

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great review thanks

Did you go for the same frame size as your HT V2 ??

I ride a large HT V2 so I'm thinking of sticking with a large Bullit

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
Yes, size large. Perfect fit for me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts