Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As expected the new Bronson is a mullet with the exception of the XS.

Pretty interested to hear some proper first ride reviews!

Its gone up in stock size as well to a 230x60.

·
That’s no moon.
759 Posts
I’m interested in this as well! Hope my shop actually gets one in, lol. Never ridden a mullet, sounds interesting.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I wish I had enough chunky trails locally to justify this much travel, maybe next year there will be a 5010 mullet... I'm a big fan of the mullet set up. Ran a B6er for years.

Edit: the fact that you have to spend $8K to get a CC frame and factory suspension is f'n crazy! Looks like about a $1K price increase since 2018 (when I was shopping last).

·
Registered
258 Posts
if anyone wants a jump ahead of time, JensonUSA has a single, medium S-build sitting on the dock that should be hitting inventory any day now. I don't think anyone really realizes it's there so if you want the item number, PM me and I'll send it to you so you can "pre-order" it before someone receives it into the system and it's posted online.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Vital and PB reviews both gave some mention to the new handlebar, which is cool, but I see on the spec sheet that the RSV models are specced with "Reserve 30 v2" rims, and I'm hoping we learn soon what those are all about.

It's interesting that you can opt for a reserve rim upgrade on the C XT build, but not on the CC X01 build. If you want CC and reserve wheels, they make you do a $1800 price jump to an X01 AXS build.

I saw one of these in person today. The gold looks great in person!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Vital and PB reviews both gave some mention to the new handlebar, which is cool, but I see on the spec sheet that the RSV models are specced with "Reserve 30 v2" rims, and I'm hoping we learn soon what those are all about.
The V2s have been around for a little while and someone mentioned that there is more material near the spokes or something like that? I have a set in my living room that I have been waiting for a freehub to become available for, but I haven't had my eyes on V1s to tell the difference.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The V2s have been around for a little while and someone mentioned that there is more material near the spokes or something like that? I have a set in my living room that I have been waiting for a freehub to become available for, but I haven't had my eyes on V1s to tell the difference.

Oh interesting, thanks. I had no idea!

·
Registered
57 Posts
It’s definitely sticker shock. Not sure what components the last model had. I got my Tallboy on sale, doubt that will be happening anymore with how crazy things are.
I think a $1,000 price increase is what they did. The S version used to be $4,600 or $4,700. I thought the old price was high for a bike with NX. I’m surprised that price increase is still holding. I guess it’s just simple supply and demand. I don’t think they’ll be that high once the government stops giving away “free” money and supply chain gets back to normal.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I just realized that all the new mullet bikes coming out were formally 27.5 models. I'm all for the mullet revolution, but this kind of seems like marketers looking for a new trend to sell legacy models that weren't moving.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was giving SC **** yesterday about the price changes, but I discovered it's industry wide.

The cheapest build for Ibis Ripley is now $5099 and comes with all Deore drivetrain. Saving grace is suspension is Fox Factory.

For us non-dentists, it's time to embrace 32 lbs plus aluminum bikes :LOL:😭

·
Registered
801 Posts
I just realized that all the new mullet bikes coming out were formally 27.5 models. I'm all for the mullet revolution, but this kind of seems like marketers looking for a new trend to sell legacy models that weren't moving.
Doesn’t that make sense though? It wouldn’t make sense to launch a mullet specific new model when they already have 27.5(bronson) specific and 29(hightower) specific bikes in that travel range.

Based on the “tests” on mullets vs non mixed wheels, it seems like more is to gain going mullet from full 27.5 than going mullet from full 29(with the exception of really short riders). So changing a full 27.5 bike to a mx bike only adds “good things” while also getting on the mullet hype train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Curious. Beside the frame and the new handlebar, can i get an older Bronson and mullet it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts