Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thining about purchasing a used 2005 Blur XC and was wondering why some Blurs have straight top tubes, while other have bent. Also, what year did the XC come out? Is there anyway to tell (not only by looking at the sticker) that I'm really getting an XC and not a Classic? Finally, is the 5th Element Air shock that bad? All comments and / or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
pshin said:
I'm thining about purchasing a used 2005 Blur XC and was wondering why some Blurs have straight top tubes, while other have bent. Also, what year did the XC come out? Is there anyway to tell (not only by looking at the sticker) that I'm really getting an XC and not a Classic? Finally, is the 5th Element Air shock that bad? All comments and / or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Size Large = bent TT

·
Who's riding today?
1,398 Posts
Get the LT

As an XC('04) owner, after a couple of years of pedal slam, I'd say go get the LT.

I "converted" my XC to a LT by putting on a 140 Fox Vanilla. No more pedal slam, a whole lot more fun to ride. I think the LT is nothing more than an XC with the PROPER SIZED FORK! :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've got an 05 Classic; SC's a bit goofy about how they do the model years, so it's iffy to go by that alone for any comparisons.

I'm not sure what the best way to make sure it's an XC vs a classic is. I don't know why on earth someone would put an XC sticker pack on a Classic, but I guess you never know... If you can get the serial number of the bike you are looking at, SC should be able to confirm what it is for you. That would be the best route.

Can't help you on the 5th Element Air, other than to say they are out of business, so take that FWIW. I think PUSH still has some RP3s on sale at a great price, I would go that direction first. I have an PUSHed 05 RP3 on my classic, and love it.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The XC came out for model year 2006, so that 05 is not an XC nor's is the guy who has an '04. Plus is will say Blur XC on the toptube near the steerer tube but it's painted on and not a sticker.

I just assembled my brand new XC today as a matter of fact. Very sweet, light with full XTR that I have.

The FoxRP3's are a great match for the Blur. They stopped shipping the 5th Elements on them a few yrs back after some major problems (which I forget what it was). My old '05 came stock w/an RP3.

Check the SC forum on here for tons of Blur information. Or go to the website to see pics of the XC... www.santacruzbicycles.com

·
Who's riding today?
1,398 Posts
The '04 BurP

With a 140mm Fox Vanilla R. No more snappy air fork for me, just plush springs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice pic CEB...pretty much the same frame as my '05. I have a Fox 100 that came with mine. This'll be my 1st Fox fork experience...it's got the lockout and all that rot.

The XC frame, just as an FYI, has shorter chainstays and thinner top and downtubes.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
ThrashNY said:
The XC came out for model year 2006, so that 05 is not an XC nor's is the guy who has an '04. Plus is will say Blur XC on the toptube near the steerer tube but it's painted on and not a sticker.

I just assembled my brand new XC today as a matter of fact. Very sweet, light with full XTR that I have.

The FoxRP3's are a great match for the Blur. They stopped shipping the 5th Elements on them a few yrs back after some major problems (which I forget what it was). My old '05 came stock w/an RP3.

Check the SC forum on here for tons of Blur information. Or go to the website to see pics of the XC... www.santacruzbicycles.com
They didn't stop shipping 5ths becuase the had problems. They stopped shipping 5ths because the company had problems. They sunk so much resources into the ATV shock failure, that they let all their other exsisting products fall into dissarry, and then eventually downsized the company and laid off 2/3's of their staff. The people who were passionate aobut what they did (moto's and mtbs) were the first for the chopping block, replaces with souless corporate a**holes and then proceeded to drive the company into the ground.

BM

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
ThrashNY said:
Nice pic CEB...pretty much the same frame as my '05. I have a Fox 100 that came with mine. This'll be my 1st Fox fork experience...it's got the lockout and all that rot.

The XC frame, just as an FYI, has shorter chainstays and thinner top and downtubes.
I too have an XC. I traded up when my classic blur cracked. It's a way better bike than the classic. It handles better and climbs way better, imo. In addition to the shorter CS and smaller diameter tubes, it has a longer TT, shorter ST (don't know why??) and shorter head tube, steeper seat tube angle (if I recall right). The geometry really agrees with me.

BM

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
bmadau said:
They didn't stop shipping 5ths becuase the had problems. They stopped shipping 5ths because the company had problems. They sunk so much resources into the ATV shock failure, that they let all their other exsisting products fall into dissarry, and then eventually downsized the company and laid off 2/3's of their staff. The people who were passionate aobut what they did (moto's and mtbs) were the first for the chopping block, replaces with souless corporate a**holes and then proceeded to drive the company into the ground.

BM
they are not out of business, I just had my shock rebuilt by them, they no longer make Mtn bike stuff though

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
BMADAU
I remember people having problems with the 5th Elements a few yrs back, and that resulted in SC not using them for awhile. However, I just found out that my buddy's XC from last Aug has a new 5th Elem on it. They must be back in the game.

NAT
The bent top tube is intentional, not accident-related.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
ThrashNY said:
The bent top tube is intentional, not accident-related.
It was my understanding that all small and medium frames used straight top tubes, and that any larger sizes used bent top tubes. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Progressive did stop making mtb stuff. Santa Cruz did not stop buying 5ths becuase the shocks had problems. The stopped buying 5ths because Progressive Suspension had problems, which trickled down hill to all the products having problems.

Here's a bit of what happened. I started work there several years ago. My first project was to design the 5th air. Before this time, I'd hever even seen the inside of a shock, and didn't even know that mtbs had shocks, or at least not shocks that retail for over $300. I started the project I think in spetember, had rough dummy shocks ready for interbike, had functioning prototypes ready by Feb of the next year, and production started rolling by April. How's this for planning: we had production orders for parts coming in BEFORE we even tested our first prototype! So considering this, I think it was a huge success. First off- all the parts fit! That means that I at leasted toleranced my drawings right! Marketing was also VERY heavily pushing that we make the shock sub 200g in the 165mm i2i. I couldn't do that, but got pretty close. In what absolutly little testing we got in, the shocks worked good, and didn't fail, but two test guys in the shop can even come close to subjecting a shock to what the consumers will do. Also, all the first shocks were assembled by me and our R&D technician, both of which are skilled hands on people. Me, being green, and still a bit wet behind the ears (I never worked in a mass production environment before) gave far too much credit to the ability of PSI's assemblers, many of which were ex-con's on work release hired through a temp agency with IQ's closer to their ages. So, the failures came in. As I recall, there were five major causes for failure (over 90% of failures were assembly related), that required the redesign of nine components. But, due to pressure for good bottom line numbers by the corporate office, PSI made the decision to order FAR more qty's (bigger order qty's mean lower per part cost) at a time than the ever should have, so the cost of scrapping these parts was too much to bear. That, and they would have to carefully synchronize mating pieces that needed to be phased out together. So, within six months after production started on the 5th air, I designed the Gen II 5th air. Performace would have been essentially the same, but it would have been far easier to assemble, and would have been more durable in the field. Years went by, and they never produced it. So, to save $10 today, they lost $100 tomorrow, so to speak. This kind of business practice will catch up with you, at it did, so our CEO was eventually demoted and a corporate axe man who admittingly didn't know jack about our industry, and addmittingly didn't care about anyting except the $$, proceeded to run the company into the ground. Where it is today. Still in business, relocated, and they laid off about 2/3's the staff last October. The funny part is they still had something like 12,000 5th air's on the shelf unable to sell to anyone, and parts to build about 10,000 more in boxes in inventory and recieving. I think it would have been a teency tiny bit cheaper the scrap the 9 parts 3 years ago to improve the product and continued to make money, which the mtb stuff did. I think they sold about 3 or 4 million dollars of the stuff annually, for a company in the 10 - 12 million dollar a year range is pretty sizable for only two products.

So, after corporate took over, one of the first things they did was to drive away everyone with any passion for the industry, and customer service and sales support fell through the floor. If no one is pushing the product, and no one is compentently taking care of product in the market, customers will stop buying the product.

BM

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
So I was partially correct in saying that SC stopped using the 5th's due to product problems. It makes one wonder how many other mtb products are produced under similar circumstances.

Nat
My brand-new med XC frame/newly assmbled Blur has an angled top tube near the shock mount.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
ThrashNY said:
So I was partially correct in saying that SC stopped using the 5th's due to product problems. It makes one wonder how many other mtb products are produced under similar circumstances.

Nat
My brand-new med XC frame/newly assmbled Blur has an angled top tube near the shock mount.
Wild. My medium Blur had a straight TT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts