Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth it on a 125mm frame?
It's time for the service and I am considering to send my RP23 to Push or get a different shock...
I am running this bike with 650b wheels and 26" from time to time, when I feel more playful, :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It's a pretty heavy shock and i think it defeats the purpose on a short-travel trail bike like the TRc. A push upgrade or a move to a different shock (I like my O2 RCX, or a Monarch) would probably be more than enough!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Given how capable the TRc is, I don't doubt for a second that the CCDBA would be a great upgrade. I've always felt like my TRC is a category defying bike, and to say the CCDBA "defeats the purpose" of such a bike doesn't really make much sense to me. Nor do the WW arguments make any sense. Good suspension will make you faster - even if it weighs a few grams more. Several months ago I toyed with the idea of getting a CCBDA (I already had one on my Nomadc), but in the end the lack of water bottle fitment was a deal breaker, and I got the RP23 PUSH'd instead. But if you can do without a water bottle, then CCDBA all the way. It is an incredible shock.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Jazzanova, I did a small review on this a while ago when I had a TRc, you may remember.

Yes, it is a weight penalty. I still recall my first time out on it though, pretty tame track, and within 200m I was sold. It is beautiful for sorting out the track, the bike is more composed between any features and that in turn gives you more control. The next track I did was steeper and had 11 jumps and some loose berms - very nice.

The other benefit I noticed was the climbing traction. For tech climbing, the traction is greatly improved, turns the bike into a tractor - if you have the legs for it.

Longer fire road climbs, not as bright, but my shock was pre lock out version, so that will better now.

If you like to rip around, sprint into features and cause havoc, then it's a great shock and worth it. If you like to XC the bike around, then I'd save the weight.

Once I had mine on, it stayed on.

Cheers

W

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jazzanova, I did a small review on this a while ago when I had a TRc, you may remember.

Yes, it is a weight penalty. I still recall my first time out on it though, pretty tame track, and within 200m I was sold. It is beautiful for sorting out the track, the bike is more composed between any features and that in turn gives you more control. The next track I did was steeper and had 11 jumps and some loose berms - very nice.

The other benefit I noticed was the climbing traction. For tech climbing, the traction is greatly improved, turns the bike into a tractor - if you have the legs for it.

Longer fire road climbs, not as bright, but my shock was pre lock out version, so that will better now.

If you like to rip around, sprint into features and cause havoc, then it's a great shock and worth it. If you like to XC the bike around, then I'd save the weight.

Once I had mine on, it stayed on.

Cheers

W
Thanks William.
Why did you decide to go with the Bos Kirk on your Solo instead?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given how capable the TRc is, I don't doubt for a second that the CCDBA would be a great upgrade. I've always felt like my TRC is a category defying bike, and to say the CCDBA "defeats the purpose" of such a bike doesn't really make much sense to me. Nor do the WW arguments make any sense. Good suspension will make you faster - even if it weighs a few grams more. Several months ago I toyed with the idea of getting a CCBDA (I already had one on my Nomadc), but in the end the lack of water bottle fitment was a deal breaker, and I got the RP23 PUSH'd instead. But if you can do without a water bottle, then CCDBA all the way. It is an incredible shock.
Exactly my thoughts...
I still like the option for a bottle on my shorter rides. Plus the weight penalty and price...
Well, need to make some decisions here...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yep, the price is high, but they are all high in price. The Kirk and the Float X aren't cheap either.

The CCDBa went with the bike, for the Solo I wanted to try something else, and it was about 150 grams lighter I think. Mainly for inquiry purposes and for weight secondly. I think the CCDBa is still better and perhaps a class leader on the air side of things.

I have put a Float X on my new frame, and that is a classy shock as well. I could tell the difference straight away.

All will give you an improvement on the bike while at the same time, magically taking money out of your wallet - who would have thought....

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, the price is high, but they are all high in price. The Kirk and the Float X aren't cheap either.

The CCDBa went with the bike, for the Solo I wanted to try something else, and it was about 150 grams lighter I think. Mainly for inquiry purposes and for weight secondly. I think the CCDBa is still better and perhaps a class leader on the air side of things.

I have put a Float X on my new frame, and that is a classy shock as well. I could tell the difference straight away.

All will give you an improvement on the bike while at the same time, magically taking money out of your wallet - who would have thought....
Hi William.
What does the CCDBair do better than the Kirk?
Any new bikes you have been interested in lately?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts