Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am making the switch to fs. i want a 5 inch trail bike that climbs like a goat and has no peddle bob. that being said, a friend is pushing a turner 5 spot, but im leaning to the blt2 (because of the hype) what am i going to get with the blt2 that i wont get with the turner. is vpp really that much better. has anyone ridden both or similar bikes. care to comment. thanx in advance. -ryan

·
PULL
697 Posts
All I can say is that vpp works so well that I take my 8 inch vp-free out on cross county rides. Going up hill is still fun. The blt2 must climb like a raped ape.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Quality Maybe?

ak greeff said:
i am making the switch to fs. i want a 5 inch trail bike that climbs like a goat and has no peddle bob. that being said, a friend is pushing a turner 5 spot, but im leaning to the blt2 (because of the hype) what am i going to get with the blt2 that i wont get with the turner. is vpp really that much better. has anyone ridden both or similar bikes. care to comment. thanx in advance. -ryan
I own a 5 Spot and have been very interested in the the new blt2. I have never ridden a VPP so I am not qualified to comment on the ride aspect. My Spot seems to climb just fine. I have the TNT rear and had the Horst link on a early model.(I can tell no difference) I have had a couple of Intense frames Uzzi SL/Tracer. Horst Link. All climbed just fine. My problem with the SC BLT2 is the fact that you will be paying top dollar for a frame that is made in Taiwan. I know this subject has been beaten to death but...I don't see SC passing the savings of over sea's labor in the price of the frame. That being said I think the Quality of the frame is fine.I also love the fact my Spot uses bushings rather than bearings. I have had zero issues with them and the frame runs so quiet.(no creeeeks!)

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
ak greeff

Hey,
Just as a side note, I see you live in Alaska. I think the bushing thing is a real plus for your neck of the woods. You should run over to the Turner board and throw this question out to Tscheezy,He is also a resident of AK.And is very knowledgeable on these two frames.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is a great thread in the Yeti forum comparing the Turner 5 spot, with the Yeti 575 and the Intense 5.5 (VPP bike), so although the comparison does not include the BLT it includes the closest thing in the Intense 5.5. It is a very unbiased review from a rider that has owned all three bikes recently.

That being said, I own a BLT1 and absolutely love the bike, the only thing that will make me change bikes is the fact that in a couple years I will want to try something new :)

The BLT1 climbs like a dream with no pedal bob, it is great for the tight and twisty sections and descends like a champ. I have mine built really light (as I use it for XC and single track with a lot of climbing - the Blur XC does not come in an XL size) but it can be beefed up to handle some much more aggresive terrain.

Cheers

·
sinner
226 Posts
I just switched from a 5 Pack(rfx front, spot rear) to a BLT2. I rode the Pack w/ a 140 mm fork so it made the BB a tad tall for my liking. Blt2 is lower. I like that better. They both climbed nice. I had a Pushed Rp3 on it so the suspenion performance was good. The Blt2 is my first VVP bike and they do ride nice. The biggest thing I noticed right away was how much stiffer the BLT2 is. I didn't think the Turner was flexy until I rode this.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
or maybe ibis mojo

thanx for all the responses, i will be looking into this more. as if the decision wasnt hard enough, the turner dealer here also sells the ibis mojo -dw link.

·
Registered
412 Posts
To add more confusion you might want to throw in the Yeti 575. The 3 bikes I am looking into, BLT2, Spot, and 575. Decisions, decisions:confused: I say ride em if at all possible.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
Now why buy a bike that you have to have PUSHed, when you can just buy a bike and let it rip from the get go? Think about it for a minute.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XC23 said:
There is a great thread in the Yeti forum comparing the Turner 5 spot, with the Yeti 575 and the Intense 5.5 (VPP bike), so although the comparison does not include the BLT it includes the closest thing in the Intense 5.5. It is a very unbiased review from a rider that has owned all three bikes recently.

That being said, I own a BLT1 and absolutely love the bike, the only thing that will make me change bikes is the fact that in a couple years I will want to try something new :)

The BLT1 climbs like a dream with no pedal bob, it is great for the tight and twisty sections and descends like a champ. I have mine built really light (as I use it for XC and single track with a lot of climbing - the Blur XC does not come in an XL size) but it can be beefed up to handle some much more aggresive terrain.

Cheers
do you have a link to the comparison, just looked through the fist 5 pages and didnt see it. thanx

·
Registered
510 Posts
Huhh?

sweetchiba51 said:
vpp by far superior...go with tha blt2..worth every penny...
That's a big bold statement. Especially from a frame made in Taiwan...Might look at the 5.5 Intence or the new 5.5/6.0 frame they have. VPP+USA!!!. And yes, I do drive a Toyota made in Kentukey.

·
just rub some dirt on it
293 Posts
pelts79 said:
To add more confusion you might want to throw in the Yeti 575. The 3 bikes I am looking into, BLT2, Spot, and 575. Decisions, decisions:confused: I say ride em if at all possible.
I have a few friends that are on the new 575. This is one bike that give me a very bad case of UGI. Very sick ride.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not to sound stupid but what does it mean when people say "pushed" on their shock?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Okie Dokie said:
Not to sound stupid but what does it mean when people say "pushed" on their shock?
It means the shock was sent to PUSH industries for tuning.

Yes it does make a difference.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
happyriding said:
A seemingly knowledgeable Moab guides says the biggest weakness of VPP bikes is their climbing. Read here:

http://www.dreambike.com/suspension.htm
No offense, but that reads like an advertisement for Ventanna. The comments on the Horst-Link type bikes are just silly.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts