Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering why on the Santa Cruz website there was not a single option for any Manitou products, so I emailed them. The rep fired back that SC will not be using any Manitou products on there bikes for the 2007 model year. This upsets me a bit, cause if they offered a '07 SL with a 3 way air or a S-type SPV and a Minute Super SPV I would have it on order.

Currently I have a Heckler with a 3way air in the rear and a Nixon Super Intrinsic up front. The bike rides like a dream, the best thing I even did was de-Fox it.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of Manitou on the 07 SC products and are also depressed about it?

Justin

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Haven't heard too many rave reviews on the Manitou shocks lately!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hum, I must be lucky..... I have been running the same minute II for a year and a half with no probs. Actually, I think I am lucky :D
Hopefully the luck will continue into the next year.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, that's a shame because their 4-Way Air and coil models are ideal for the single pivot models, and these new Intrinsic air shock models seem like they're going to work out well for the VPP models. I recently put an Evolver on my Nomad and the thing is awesome.

I doubt it has anything to do with reliability. It's usually a contractual issue of money and availability as much as anything...and even low bid.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I wonder if Hayes' acquisition of Answer might change things down the line as SRAM did for RockShox? While I might reconsider Manitou brand stuff eventually, my last experience with a Minute 2 was less than thrilling; haven't tried but forks personally and have had several but think they lost ground to Marzocchi and Fox quite a long time ago. The rear shocks do seem to get good reports, especially since licensing the Progressive SPV stuff.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Fox Float 130 RLC worked well, but in terms of stiffness, it was a wet noodle. I had a Sherman Firefly on the Heckler first, and it was solid as a rock, but then I wanted to lighten it up, so I put the Float on it and it was horrible. On a rough trail there was more praying then steering. I put the Nixon on there with the QR Thru Axel, and now I feel like I am in control again. The instrinic is nice, the fork is very smooth and adjustable. Best thing I could have ever done to the Heckler.
JCH

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bigger fan overall of their rear shocks. We've had bigger issues with Fox shocks over Manitou shocks, as far as service reliability goes. Just in my personal ownership over the last 3 years, I've had 4 Fox shocks and 3 Manitou shocks. 3 of the 4 Fox shocks had to go back to Fox. None of the Manitou shocks have returned. I still like Fox rear shocks when they're working, but these rear Manitou shocks work and seem to do it more reliably.

On the fork end, the X-Vert DC, Firefly, and Flick Plus were all excellent forks with no problems, so I really can't throw rocks there either. Yeah Bikin, the Hayes connection will be interesting to see how it pans out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Me too...

I hated the Fox on the front of my Heckler. I never got the ride I wanted out of it. Too much flex around and the I could never get the dive out of it going into corners and down steep stuff.

I to have had two Shermans on it and the higher crown to axle works better. I really like the 6" fork on the front end. The new Nixons with the 20 mill and intrinsic look like the next step for me.

On the rear I have a 4way Air. Also works great and no problems....

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Funny, the little sticker on the side of a Manitou Swinger 6-way says: "Licensed from Progressive".

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's right..

They bought the rights and went and made their own. Now Progresive is out of the business and Manitu is using their technology they purchased. Kind of like Specialized and the FSR thing.

And now Answer products is owned by Hayes.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
TNC said:
Dang Mudd...you just now figuring out that Manitou uses the Progressive SPV technology? You need to get out more...LOL!
It's not that. I just wanted everyone else to know it.
Hmmmmm, beautiful day here in SoCal....Time to get out and ride!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
JCHKeys said:
Hey,

I was wondering why on the Santa Cruz website there was not a single option for any Manitou products, so I emailed them. The rep fired back that SC will not be using any Manitou products on there bikes for the 2007 model year. This upsets me a bit, cause if they offered a '07 SL with a 3 way air or a S-type SPV and a Minute Super SPV I would have it on order.

Currently I have a Heckler with a 3way air in the rear and a Nixon Super Intrinsic up front. The bike rides like a dream, the best thing I even did was de-Fox it.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of Manitou on the 07 SC products and are also depressed about it?

Justin
They also are not offering any Marzocchi forks on any of the bikes this year.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Forgetting something??? Guys...we're talking about SC here. Has everyone forgoten that this company constantly shows us that they can change course fairly rapidly when it comes to component spec? Rear shocks, wheels, forks, and everything else can change in a heartbeat. They've done it before, they'll do it again. Just recently we started seeing an 8.75 shock start showing up on some Nomads without fanfare. Never think you know what SC will do...they'll surprise you. Is this a good thing?...most of the time, yes. The ability to dump a problem issue in a spec or pic up an advantage in a spec change can be a very good thing.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Apples to Oranges?

texheckler said:
I hated the Fox on the front of my Heckler. I never got the ride I wanted out of it. Too much flex around and the I could never get the dive out of it going into corners and down steep stuff.

I to have had two Shermans on it and the higher crown to axle works better. I really like the 6" fork on the front end. The new Nixons with the 20 mill and intrinsic look like the next step for me.

- Of course a 20mm Fork is going to be much stiffer than any QR fork.....

To go back OT.... Maybe it's Manitou's track record that has ousted them from SCB's offerings?
IME their failure rated is high & often.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You also have to remember that specing just 2 manufacturers (Fox/Rockshox) should reduce Santa Cruz's costs. Not that any decreases will be passed on to the end user.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My old Blacks came with the uppers cast so they stuck out to one side by a good inch. The stanchons wore through after 1 1/2 years and I cracked the steerer tube. They were good performing forks but needed a lot of TLC. I'm happy with the Shermans on my Heckler though. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
texheckler said:

Me three . . . also have a Heckler and it used to have a Fox Vanilla 125R in front. Then I bought a DH bike with a triple clamp Sherman Slider Plus 20 mm thru axle and couldn't believe how much better it cornered when pushed hard and fast.

Now I have a Sherman Flick Plus 6" 20 mm thru axle on my Heckler and it's so much stiffer and plusher than my Fox. The suspension rate feels much more linear and predictable, the taller ride height improves the Heckler's cockpit (slacker), and the stiffer 20 mm thru-axle makes the Heckler way more predictable in hard corners than with the Vanilla 125R - that fork felt like a wet noodle.

I also have a Manitou 4-way Swinger on the back of my '05 Big Hit DH. It's a lot more responsive than the Progressive 5th Element for sure. I've been satisfied with its performance and it's never let me down despite 5' - 6' drops to flat and 10' to tranny.

I agree with somebody's earlier concerns with apples to oranges comparisons. This doesn't mean Fox is crap. But my comments do mean that Manitou can make decent product and it's NOT all crap.

Dave.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Manitou:
I had a Sherman Flick and while I licked the fork in some ways it did have issues with oil leaks and my LBS was unable to get the correct spring. There are some design elements I liked about the Manitou stuff, esp the Hex lock axle which I felt was burly and easier to use than Fox or Marz.

RS
I still have a Pike Coil on one of my bikes. I dont ride this bike much.... its in another country. Overal the Pike is nice but seems to require more oil changes.

Fox
Had a Talas 36Rc2.. was ok, had travel loss.. gone now. Had a Van 36Rc2... nice fork but couldnt get the spring 100% right -even with the preload adjustments.
Had a DHX Air, sold it after 9 months, got a DHX coil... got caught up in the hype. May try TNC's Evolver ISX 6 for summer ..

Marz
Now Z1's a little tall sometimes, but still nice reliable forks.
Now also use 66rc2x's nice dampening but only for agressive AM / DH / FR.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.