Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody get a chance to ride both of these bikes? If so what are your thoughts? I own an Ibis Ripley and love it. When climbing you can't even tell that the bike has suspension. I would swear I was riding a HT and that is in the trail mode of the CTD Fox shock. I really love my Ripley but wouldn't mind adding a 650FS bike. I don't need the 150mm travel of the Bronson so I am looking at the 5010C and the HDR650B. If Yeti made the SB75 in carbon that would be in the running as well. I have no local Ibis or Santa Cruz dealer but do have a local Yeti dealer. I like the fact that the 5010 has the same lines as the Ripley. Just wondering if the VPP suspension does as good as the DW on the Ibis at climbing. I ride in Michigan.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I own a lot of bikes (as I own a bike shop), but I can't see much use in owning two very nice bikes with 5" of travel each. They will be to similar to really need. I would get something in the 150-160 travel if you plan on keeping your Ripley.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own a lot of bikes (as I own a bike shop), but I can't see much use in owning two very nice bikes with 5" of travel each. They will be to similar to really need. I would get something in the 150-160 travel if you plan on keeping your Ripley.
Yeah I was thinking that as well. I am going to keep the Ripley. Would owning the Giant Anthem 27.5 be too similar as well with 4" of travel? Almost bought that bike before buying the Ripley. I don't really have much use for a 150-160mm travel bike here in Michigan. What about looking into an Yeti Arc? It is a 650B Carbon HT. I own a Ventana El Padrino which is an Aluminum 29er HT. Probably don't need a new bike I just like buying gear. I don't road bike since I find it dangerous and cyclocross doesn't really appeal to me. Also I am not really interested in fat bikes because I ski all winter.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pretty good sign that you don't really need anything, and should just ride, and put your money into other hobbies or whatever. Unless the Ripley really is too much of a XC bike for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got an alum 5010. It feels completely like a hardtail when climbing. No bob at all. I tend to keep it in trail mode on uphills because no rear climbing lockout is necessary. The suspension is great. Downhills are fun. I get a little light in the front at times on steep climbs, but that is probably a operator problem rather than a bike issue.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'd get the 5010. I've had a TRc 650b'd and it was fantastic. I've also had an HD, awesome ride too. But I think the HDR is a poor idea, no redesigned for 650b, and heavy at 6+lbs for only 130mm travel.

I really liked how my TRc rode and that was a modded 650b with only 120mm travel. I imagine the 5010 would be even better. It's also lighter than the HDR.

I'd get the 5010 if it fit me right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I demoed the Solo (5010) and HDR. I also test rode the Bronson.

What I found is I really enjoyed the cornering ability of the 5010, but I wanted the Bronson's fork. The Bronson felt too burly to me.

So then finally test rode the Ibis 650b HDR, for me this was the perfect balance between the 5010 and Bronson.

Ended up with an Ibis HDR 650b, xx1, ccdbcs, klev, fox34....love this bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts