Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz 5010 RAM vs Yeti SB75 comp Best bang for your buck?

• Santa Cruz 5010 RAM Shimano SLX/Deore/Fox32

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Yeti SB75 comp SRAM X7/X9/Elixir5/Fox34

Votes: 8 25.8%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one buys you the best bang for your buck? Which one would you buy and why?

Thanks!

Santa Cruz 5010 RAM - $3299
Frame Material:aluminum
Suspension: VPP
Rear Shock: FOX FLOAT CTD Evolution
Rear Travel: 125 mm
Fork: FOX 32 FLOAT FIT CTD Performance Series
Front Travel: 130 mm
Headset: Cane Creek 10 Mixed Tapered
Shifters: Shimano M660 SLX
Front Derailleur: Shimano M611/610 Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M675 SLX Shadow Plus
Crankset: 24/32/42 t Shimano M610 Deore
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: not included
Cassette: 11-36 t Shimano HG 81 10-speed
Chain: Shimano HG-75
Brake Set: Shimano M615 Deore
Rotors: [front] 180 mm, [rear] 160 mm
Handlebar: Race Face Ride
Handlebar Width: 710 mm
Handlebar Rise: low
Grips: Lizard Skin "494"
Stem: Race Face Ride
Saddle: WTB Volt Race
Seatpost: Race Face Ride
Seat Collar: Santa Cruz QR
Hubs: [front] SRAM MTH 716, [rear] SRAM MTH 746
Rims: WTB ST i23 TCS
Spokes: DT Swiss (14g)
Axles: [front] 15mm thru-axle, [rear] 12x142mm thru-axle
Tires: Maxxis High Roller 2 EXO Tubeless
Tire Size: 27.5 x 2.3 in
Recommended Use: all-mountain and trail riding
Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years on frame

Yeti sb75 comp - $2900
Frame Material: aluminum
Suspension: Switch Technology
Rear Shock: FOX CTD
Rear Travel: 127 mm
Fork: FOX 34 FLOAT CTD Open Catridge
Front Travel: 140 mm
Headset: Cane Creek 44/56mm Tapered Inset
Shifters: SRAM X7
Front Derailleur: SRAM X7
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
Crankset: SRAM S1000
ISCG Tabs: removable ISCG mount
Pedals: not included
Cassette: SRAM
Chain: SRAM
Brake Set: Avid Elixir 5
Handlebar: Truvativ T30
Grips: Yeti lock-on
Stem: TruVativ Stylo T20
Saddle: Yeti Branded WTB
Seatpost: TruVativ Stylo T20
Wheelset: DT Swiss M1900
Tires: Maxxis
Recommended Use: all mountain and enduro trail riding
Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years on frame

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Pretty even component-wise.... go with the one that you like better and that fits better. You're going to get people supporting both sides on a forum like MTBR, so go ride them both and figure it out for yourself. The only advantage I see anywhere is the Yeti with a Fox 34 vs a Fox 32 on the Solo, but even that's debatable depending on how you intend to use the bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Totally agree with Smmokan. For me, it boiled down to color between the 5010 and SB75. I chose the yellow SB75 and couldn't be happier! If your choosing the 5010, I wouldn't worry about the 32 Fox since it's only a 130mm travel fork. Seriously doubt you will notice any flex, plus it's much lighter than the 34 Fox.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He wanted to be like 50% of the riders in the Denver/Boulder area on their Yetis. ;)
Hehe, like 50% of the riders in the Santa Cruz riding their 5010s, tallboys, nomads and julianas?
In the midwest we just ride walmart bikes!

·
Somersault Expert
67 Posts
Both were great bikes and either would do fine. For my personal style I felt more connected to the 75. During climbing the Switch gave me better feedback than the VPP. Again, just the way the bikes worked for me. On the superficial side, I'm not a fan of day-glo color schemes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just went through the same as you only I was able to parking lot test ride a SB75. I liked it and considered a 5010 but felt the bottom bracket at 13.1" was too low. I ended up with a Bronson Alloy because I needed/wanted more travel. I can tell you the VPP is great comparing it to the FSR on my last ride. Enjoy the shopping and comparing

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just went through the same as you only I was able to parking lot test ride a SB75. I liked it and considered a 5010 but felt the bottom bracket at 13.1" was too low. I ended up with a Bronson Alloy because I needed/wanted more travel. I can tell you the VPP is great comparing it to the FSR on my last ride. Enjoy the shopping and comparing
I'm coming from a tallboy LT, which I can say that is a great bike, before that I had a stumpy fsr 29, which I liked but I felt I was riding a horse, too tall, too 29er feel. I never got used to the 29er feel/ride, so I want to see if I can go back to a smaller wheel and since 26 is a bad investment, I am forced like most of us to look for a 27.5.
Did you like the SB75?

·
Registered
285 Posts
For what limited testing I was able to do I liked the SB75. The bike bible boys were too caught up on the SB66 which is no longer availble. Guess it depends on your riding style and the components you would use.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they werent too fond of the sb75..
Saw that review but IMO that's a useless review, they are comparing 3 different bikes, a 26 enduro, a 27.5 trail and a 29 trail. They should talk about the SB75 and compare that to the 5010, norco sight, giant anthem, rocky mountain..... Then they argue about wheel size.
I agree that nobody is saying that the SB75 is the best 27.5 around and that's worries me a little bit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I see you've owned a Santa Cruz, but will mention anyway that you may end up on a size larger SC than you would on another brand. I've only ridden my 5010, but carbon frame stiffness is amazing, especially for big, fat guys like me. It also corners like a slot car and bottom bracket issues are non-existent with the 130/160 Talas mine is set up with. If you're strictly comparing stock builds, the 34 fork would be a big deal to me, but no more important than getting carbon. You might replace a fork, but probably not a frame...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Codypup, unfortunately no $ for yeti or SC carbon. I tried to get a norco sight carbon 7.2, which is around $3200 but norco's are impossible to get. The are out of bikes till next year. Getting the lower end alu is my only option.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Saw that review but IMO that's a useless review, they are comparing 3 different bikes, a 26 enduro, a 27.5 trail and a 29 trail. They should talk about the SB75 and compare that to the 5010, norco sight, giant anthem, rocky mountain..... Then they argue about wheel size.
I agree that nobody is saying that the SB75 is the best 27.5 around and that's worries me a little bit.
Yeah, I wondered why they wouldn't come out an say what they obviously were thinking..... It's not as good as the Troy/Sight/5010. I agree with their assessment of the SB75. It felt heavy and sluggish. Comparing it to those three of those bikes I'd rank it last.

Having said that, I rode the top of the line Carbon 5010 so not a fair comparison.... but even comparing alloy versions I think I'd still lean towards the 5010.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought a solo yep mine says solo never rode a yeti, but have a sl29 and like the solo over it, always thought the sl should have a slacker head angle and shorter chain stays which the solo does and i like the way it handles better. I not a young or very agressive rider and go about 230 but i do move right along when things point down and like the handling of the solo very much! I don't think i could have had a custom bike built better for me than the solo. Oh mine is al and weighed 30lbs 5 oz without pedals when i got it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts