Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned the V1 since 2015. Due to health issues, I didn’t ride it until this summer. The frame/bike has maybe 200miles on it. I want to do some upgrades, seat dropper, 1x12 group set, handle bars.

Is my bike too old to upgrade these components? I hear people saying don’t upgrade an older MB. Is it because they, the critics, want to see more bikes or is there really a good reason not to upgrade an buy new.

I want to hear from as many people and the reasoning behind upgrading or buying a new bike.

Thanks so much and I look forward to your comments.

Mack

· Registered
4,737 Posts
I've owned the V1 since 2015. Due to health issues, I didn't ride it until this summer. The frame/bike has maybe 200miles on it. I want to do some upgrades, seat dropper, 1x12 group set, handle bars.

Is my bike too old to upgrade these components? I hear people saying don't upgrade an older MB. Is it because they, the critics, want to see more bikes or is there really a good reason not to upgrade an buy new.

I want to hear from as many people and the reasoning behind upgrading or buying a new bike.

Thanks so much and I look forward to your comments.

Mack
I upgraded my 5010 V1 a couple years ago to a Sram Eagle GX 1 x12 and flat pedals. I was happy with the change. My 5010 came with a dropper and I can't see riding without one now.

Last year I bought a Tallboy V4 and passed the 5010 to my son and it has become his everyday ride.

My reason for buying new last year was to move to 29" wheels. When I ride the older 5010, I don't find any compelling reasons why you can't upgrade and keep it going. 27.5" is still a valid wheel size.

· Autonomous
282 Posts
I’m still on my 2013 Solo C v1 and the only original original component on it are the brakes (Deore).
Over the years I’ve upgraded every other part & it’s still a damn fun bike.
Would I like a new bike? Hell yes. Can I afford one? Uhhhhh, not at the moment.
It’s been a month or so since you originally posted so I’m not sure where you are on your quest, but I’m happy to help out if you have specific questions.

G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.