Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I discovered a lidded clear-fronted box, similar to those one sees outside houses for sale, at Calero County Park, with a leaflet on display. I stopped and picked one up because I was wondering if it had something to do with the promised Calero County Park trail plan.

And sure enough, it does. I scanned it and here it is.

Why is this important? Because Calero Park doesn't allow mountain biking. It's adjacent to Rancho Cañada del Oro, one of the best mountain biking venues in Santa Clara County, and access to it would make riding even better in that area (which is a few miles west of U.S. 101 about three miles south of the Bailey Avenue exit).

Let's all fill one out. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Thanks, this place is 5 min away from me, would be nice to get access.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're welcome. Any narrow trails there, or is it mostly fire roads? If the latter, are any of them OK, like Catamount Trail at Rancho Cañada del Oro?

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
imtnbke said:
You're welcome. Any narrow trails there, or is it mostly fire roads? If the latter, are any of them OK, like Catamount Trail at Rancho Cañada del Oro?
It would be nice to have have access to Serpentine loop trail - for an easier access to the Longwall Canyon trail. As is, getting there is a bit rough on beginners.

Most trails are pulverized by horses, but they are better then Catamount - better views. Whole Bald Peaks would make for an excellent moderate loop, with Longwall and Serpentine - not really best for a casual day hike, but perfect for a bike ride.

I have only done some trail running there, as it is not worth getting in trouble on a bike, have not seen too many users at all, even with the stables there, making bucks off this public land and trashing the place.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I like the Catamount grind but would welcome alternatives. And you're right that Serpentine, which I've walked on a hike in the past, would be a lot better for beginners than Mayfair Ranch is.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
imtnbke said:
It's adjacent to Rancho Cañada del Oro, one of the best mountain biking venues in Santa Clara County, and access to it would make riding even better in that area.
RCDO is OK, but I wouldn't call it "one of the best". It's convenient to where I live, so I've done it a few times. But Longwall Canyon is a nasty steep 1.5 track. Catamount is a ridiculous steep dirt road, even by Henry Coe standards. Not much redeeming to that route for the pain inflicted. Actually, I like the Mayfair Ranch access trail the best. It's got some nice switchbacks.

I'm more eager for the opening of Blair Ranch, the big hill on the other side of the RCDO parking lot. I rode there once on a special open-trail day. It's got GREAT potential. The rangers said they were working on a plan to create singletracks with more switchbacks like Mayfair Ranch so the climb up can be more bike friendly.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with your criticism. I was thinking I sounded a bit like Tom Stienstra after I wrote the part about it being one of the best areas. It all depends on what one likes. There's nothing technical there, so that would rule out RCdO for many. I like the workout aspects, the solitude, the wildlife, the flowiness of certain trail segments, and the wildflowers in the spring.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Curmy said:
Go there through this link:
I had to get past the first page or two by filling in dummy data since I don't bike there currently.

Towards the end, they ask if you want it to allow mountain biking. That's the important part of the survey.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
BigLarry said:
RCDO is OK, but I wouldn't call it "one of the best". It's convenient to where I live, so I've done it a few times. But Longwall Canyon is a nasty steep 1.5 track. Catamount is a ridiculous steep dirt road, even by Henry Coe standards. Not much redeeming to that route for the pain inflicted. Actually, I like the Mayfair Ranch access trail the best. It's got some nice switchbacks.

I'm more eager for the opening of Blair Ranch, the big hill on the other side of the RCDO parking lot. I rode there once on a special open-trail day. It's got GREAT potential. The rangers said they were working on a plan to create singletracks with more switchbacks like Mayfair Ranch so the climb up can be more bike friendly.
Longwall will grow into a nicer trail as it ages, it is fairly gradual and gets you to some great views.

I obviously prefer Mayfair Ranch route myself, but it is a bit too long and hard for beginners and kids to do the round trip. Serpentine would allow for nicer access - and full Balds peak return will complete a nice loop - without hitting the Catamount.

Would be nice to be able to ride from Blair, through RCDO, Calero and toward Almaden.

·
middle ring single track
4,679 Posts
McKean Rd

I have alway thought that it's absurd that the portion of Serpentine that connects to Longwall isn't multi-use---seems so obvious.

But what I focused my comments on in the survey was to create a trail that connects RCDO to McKean Rd in the vicinity of the dam. It would use or parallel Bald Peak, Chisantuk, Cottle and Cherry Cove trails. This, along with another multi-use dirt path would connect STP to Calero and then on to RCDO. (I wonder how the Rancho San Vicente OS will figure in to all of this?)

I forgot to mention it, but why they don't have a trail alongside McKean from the dam to the stable entrance is puzzling also. It seems to me that this would have been the first place to put a trail---McKean Rd is no place for hikers, bikers or horses!

·
More Torque
2,029 Posts
Don't forget to mention that that you would like more narrow trail/singletrack open to bikes. If you like the challenges provided by the rocky singletrack at Santa Teresa, you can mention that too.

Calero is an important hub, when it comes to linking Blair, RCDO, Rancho San Vincente, AQ, Santa Teresa and Sierra Azul.

Great views, too.

Thanks,

-D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I filled out the survey. Since Calero Park currently doesn't allow biking, I'm sure they wouldn't get much support for biking in their survey otherwise. I have only driven by there on my way to Canada de Oro or Cinnabar Hills.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're welcome. That's my feeling too: the small leaflet display box was at the gate that the equestrians go through to reach the Serpentine Loop after they've parked in the Rancho Cañada del Oro parking lot, so the survey results could easily say "no bikes" if we didn't fill the form out also. I'm glad to have stumbled across the leaflet box; it wasn't that prominently visible. The county park staff should have put a second one in the Rancho Cañada del Oro parking lot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
imtnbke said:
You're welcome. That's my feeling too: the small leaflet display box was at the gate that the equestrians go through to reach the Serpentine Loop after they've parked in the Rancho Cañada del Oro parking lot, so the survey results could easily say "no bikes" if we didn't fill the form out also. I'm glad to have stumbled across the leaflet box; it wasn't that prominently visible. The county park staff should have put a second one in the Rancho Cañada del Oro parking lot.
We want to remove this sign. Please contact County Parks and let them know that bikes should be allowed in Calero.
Great idea Ted I will bring this up. DT

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts