Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
you do this at my size
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have one. Taking this Friday off from work to do some trail work and ride, ALL BY MYSELF!!!!! It has rained here in N.MS for the last 2 weeks and finally this week it will be dry all week. So my wife said, why don't you take a day off and shake off the holidays and get a little sanity back.:madman: My wife Rocks OUT LOUD! I hope everyone has a chance to do this from time to time. It's better than Prozac and probably better than tequila.

·
mathlete
131 Posts
I agree strongly. One should take a day or two throughout the year. Especially in the spring when it warms up and the days start to get longer!!! It is nice to take a day off during the work week with the intent to ride. It doesn't matter whether it be on your local trails or a day trip.

I usually coordinate "my mental health days" with my riding buddies (they either call in sick or request leave as well) and we'll typically make a day trip of it. You have to make it worthwhile since you don't take off from work often- you can always hit the local trails during the weekend or after work if you have time. My wife is good with the work week outings because it is almost like a typical day. I'll drop off the kids to school/daycare as usual and be back home by dinner.

There is something definitely relaxing about heading out with the bikes loaded up with a full day of riding ahead and seeing all those people headed into work going the opposite direction as you are. Even if you still have part of your normal routine to fulfill before you ride its still nice to pull into day care with the bikes, in casual attire, and know that you don't have to drive to the office next.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
cycleologist said:
.... Even if you still have part of your normal routine to fulfill before you ride its still nice to pull into day care with the bikes, in casual attire, and know that you don't have to drive to the office next.
:lol:
My munchkins pick up on any variation in work day attire rather quickly... Jeans, shorts, anything not normal "office gear" gets a "Are you going to work today daddy?"
They still have to go to school but looking back at me wondering why I get to go goof off.

Mental Health Days are a requirement to maintain proper sanity.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I know what you mean, sometimes you're just done the day before and need a break. I've been pretty lucky during my career. In the past I worked mostly swing shifts and could ride before work. Now when I'm not teaching I work from home and take 'sanity hours' often. In fact I just got home from one. My wife is at work and the dogs are sleeping. I'm pretty relaxed as you can imagine and get a **** ton of work done as well. That 9-5 stuff is for the birds, just wears you down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.