Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying parts for my first ever frame build. The exact frame isn't 100% selected yet, but all of the finalists have 73mm threaded BB's. Which is enough that I can start buying parts when I find them on sale/available.

And now that I'm looking around, I'm wanting to make sure I'm at least somewhat sane. As while I'm pretty good with my hands and do all my own maintenance on my current bike (and most everything on my vehicles), I've never actually built up a whole bike before.

Here are the moving pieces:
  • 73mm Threaded BB shell
  • 24mm Spindle size (I'm thinking that because of the bearing size mostly)
  • Compatibility with the Microshift Advent X 10 speed drivetrain I have already purchased
  • 165mm crank length
For the BB I'm currently considering a pretty basic Shimano XT MT800 threaded BB, as that seems cheap, and totally functional. The BB is meant for 68 and 73mm shells, and apparently ships with some spacers to use in the 68mm configuration.

I want 165mm cranks for the build. I'm thinking of the RaceFace Affect R's. They seem to be one of the only options for 165mm cranks with 24mm spindles, with chainring compatibility for 10-11-12 speed. But, unlike the shimano cranks, they don't have a dust cap/preload bolt. It looks like they adjust entirely with spacers? Is that correct?

From what I can tell, this should all be compatible. The BB should just thread in (maybe adjusting chainline/shell width with a spacer?), and the crank should install just fine as it is also a 24mm spindle. Then just play with the spacers that come with the crank, to make sure that you don't have any slop?

After that, its just get a basic cinch chainring that works with my 10 speed setup, and I'm good to go, right?

Is that really as simple as I'm thinking it should be? Or am I totally overlooking something?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had a similar Race Face Ride crankset and yes there is no pre load, you just tighten up the driveside crank arm fully until a full stop. Fit the bb spacers to spec either one spacer on the driveside for 73mm threaded shell width etc. and all should fit fine.

My bb at the time was a R.F. X-Type and not a Hollowtech II but they're apparently fully compatible and basically the same.

My Ride cranks came fitted as stock with the stated 51mm chainline and a 30t Cinch/direct mount chainring.

I believe for an alternative chainline (like a lot of direct mount cranks) you can get offset or dished chainrings to suit your final set up/chainline if you wanted/need to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.