Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be good to start a new thread to follow developments at Sandman bikes as the other comments are buried so deeply in another thread.

Camilco had me all fired up with his new Sandman Gobi, but my email to Sandman never got a reply, and another person said his was bounced back and the website remain under construction.

If anyone has more info on Sandman bikes please post here, with winter approaching it is time to start thinking about new winter bikes . . . thx.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Check out the new.....

Stroganof said:
Thought it would be good to start a new thread to follow developments at Sandman bikes as the other comments are buried so deeply in another thread.

Camilco had me all fired up with his new Sandman Gobi, but my email to Sandman never got a reply, and another person said his was bounced back and the website remain under construction.

If anyone has more info on Sandman bikes please post here, with winter approaching it is time to start thinking about new winter bikes . . . thx.
You need to go check out the new Aluminum 907 at chain-reaction - it might be what you're looking for. I've been told they are bringing in a significant number of these frames at a price-point lower than $1,000 USD/unit - made by SAPA in the USA. I haven't seen it up close yet, but I've been told it's quite nice.

The only complaint I have is that it's an off-set rear using 135mm standard rear hub just like a Pugs. However, it makes sense given the lack wider rear hubs, but it's going to make building skinny tires difficult.... just like the Pugs. I predict these frames will fly off the racks........ so you better get them while there coming in.

Anyway...... I'm really, really glad I dropped the money on the Ti 907.

Regards,

EndUser

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
I have the feeling that Sandman Bikes ended befor it started :skep:

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is life!!

- plain 7005 aluminium, price 349,- Euro
- Dedacciai hydro form alu, price 499,- Euro
- Dedacciai CRMO triple butted steel, price 384,- Euro

This is for plain, non painted frames. Production time is 2 weeks. Having your frame painted adds 100,- Euros and two weeks extra (I have to send it
out to have it painted). Powdercoat color options are white, orange, black and glassbead-blasted with a clearcoat finish.

All frames have 165mm rear hub and 100mm bottom bracket spacing and can easily accomodate Endomorph tires on up to 100mm rims. Cable eyelet type and routing is free of choice as are eyelets for rear luggage racks and come at no extra cost.
Free choice of integrated or 1.1/8 head set bearings and normal rear drop-outs or single speed ones.
Polished welds come at an extra charge of 100,- Euro.

Wide CRMO forks with disk brake attachments for normal front hubs come at 59,- Euros unpainted. 79,- Euro painted. Same price for 135mm spaced forks.
No extra cost for luggage attachment eyelets.

Guido

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to the brother of the framebuilder today. (who owns a bikestore)

He is the one who takes the orders for the frames. (I wasn't allowed to talk to the framebuilder himself)
I showed him sandmanbikes.com and he confirmed that these bikes are made by his brother.

I went there looking for a true custom bike, but all the answers I got where 'no, you can't do this, no, you can't do that...' (things I've seen on other bikes that are possible!)
It was to beautiful to be true. (only 456,21 Euro for a 'custom' mountainbike frame...)
I believe this framebuilder is specialized in custom road and cx frames, wich isn't weird, as Belgium has quite a history in road and cx racing.

The frames I saw looked good 'tho, just not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
that's weird ... he was talking about testrides and all?!?!

Na (te) lang op antwoorden van onderdeelfabrikanten gewacht te hebben, hebben we dan maar besloten om de Sandman frames "zo" op de markt te brengen. Testrijden binnen België kan binnenkort. De Gobi is het hydro from kader.

Met vriendelijke groeten en bedankt voor het geduld,

Koenraad

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself completly clear:

I didn't go to the owner of sandmanbikes.com
I went to the guy where sandmanbikes.com ordered his frames from.

And except for companies (like sandmanbikes.com is) you can't order directly from the framebuilder, you have to go to his brother.

Sandmanbikes.com probably did a lot of effort to explain the builder how other frames where build to accept tires this wide.
(I don't want to do all this effort to convince a framebuilder you can do something this or this way, I'd rather look for a builder who thinks with me.)

·
Registered
588 Posts
hydrus said:
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself completly clear:

I didn't go to the owner of sandmanbikes.com
I went to the guy where sandmanbikes.com ordered his frames from.

And except for companies (like sandmanbikes.com is) you can't order directly from the framebuilder, you have to go to his brother.

Sandmanbikes.com probably did a lot of effort to explain the builder how other frames where build to accept tires this wide.
(I don't want to do all this effort to convince a framebuilder you can do something this or this way, I'd rather look for a builder who thinks with me.)

It's pretty simple: Sandman designed his own fatbike (being not very happy with what's on the market right now) and went looking for a framebuilder. No one would even consider it, but after much convincing he found a very reputed builder (who indeed only sells wholesale) who wanted to give it a try following the Sandman plans.
Only one "but": a new jig had to be made, and the framebuilder wouldn't do it without being payed for it. With the 100mm BB and the 165mm rear hub no existing jig could be used.
Sandman decided to take the plunge and forked over a a few thousand (Euro's) for a tailormade jig. That jig is now his, not property of the framebuilder. If you want a tailormade frame, I suppose it would be no problem: just design one, convince, order and pay the framebuilder a new jig.

If you want a tailormade frame, but always with that 100mm BB and the 165mm rear hub, just ask Sandman. He owns the jig, only tries to recuperate his expenses for it (so not very expensive compared to other brands) and the thing is pretty adaptable - I know that he had the BB raised after the first prototype and that was possible without mayor changes to the existing jig.
And those bikes ride very, very well. No matter what the terrain. I've thrown out my endurized C'dale Prophet and my Marin Mount Vision and ride othing else but my fatbike now.

As for testbikes: I know he's still working on a light, affordable 165mm QR rear hub. Once that's finished you'll see more Sandmen running around on these pages, I think he's got about a dozen orders in (including fom some racers who tried mine :thumbsup: ).

·
Registered
588 Posts
husaberg said:
anymore info on the 165mm hub???
He's having two longer housings and axles made which will be compatible with DTSwiss's 240s hubs and with another, cheaper brand.

I don't know what he'll do: either sell just the 165mm "upgrade kit" (hub body, axle and QR), leaving us with the option of buying the additional loose parts parts or getting a hub of the same brand and switch parts.
Or sell the whole axle(s), time will tell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts