Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went to my regular thursday evening race. This week, though, I wasn't feeling so great and have a big race on Sunday, so I dropped down a class from Advanced to Rec. Turns out I was feeling better than I thought, cuz I led both laps. Now, this is a race series, so everyone gets points for each race. I didn't want to steal someones rec points, so I sat up at the end and let five riders pass me.

My question is: I've never been in this situation before, was I a jerk for sitting up or are you supposed to let points riders pass? I hate it when sandbaggers steal my 'A' races, so I was trying to avoid that. Its a relatively low key race series.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
It shows you've got some form of concience(sp?) by sitting up, but ask yourself how far down the finish order do they give points out to? It might go to 10th place and then you've robbed at least 1 person out of possible points. What you should have done is race where you were sposed to and take the bad placing or not race at all :D my $0.02

G

·
If you don't plan on winning in your own class, or one harder, then why bother racing when you will take away that wonderful winning feeling from some recreational rider. Just my $.02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ironic title

Sandbagging Etiquette. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. And like a load of hooey. At least you knew you were sandbagging; my next question is why bother? Why not just race your group and bring up the rear - which if you were feeling better than you'd guessed would likely not have been the case anyhow. To stomp some lesser ranked racers then humiliate 'em by "sitting up" is not cool. The DNF suggestion was likely better. You sound like you've been similarly hosed before by folks doing that to races that mean a lot to you, so you have effectively been on both sides of the fence, which ought to have offered appropriate perspective.

Just don't do it again I guess, as I guarantee there's at least one person who feels you screwed 'em.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Odranicus said:
If you don't plan on winning in your own class, or one harder, then why bother racing when you will take away that wonderful winning feeling from some recreational rider. Just my $.02 :thumbsup:
I should clarify, I didn't want to race the full hour+ this week, so I ran the fewer laps of a class down.

You guys are right, I should have just DNF'd but I really didn't think I'd do that well in the first place.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, when would one be considered a "sandbagger."

I just entered and won my age group in beginner class for a regional series. This was my second race ever, in my first race I was third in my age group. Following the race, someone in my group came up to congratulate me on a nice race and then sort of threw in as an underhanded comment that he thought I should be racing Sport. I explained that it was my second race and had no idea how this whole thing worked, etc., which is the truth.

I finished the 9.5 mile course in 49:50 for the win in my age group and was 4th overall. The second place finisher in my age group was about 2:30 behind me and the third place finisher was 3:45 back, and the rest of the group (5 people) was over 10 minutes behind me, with the last guy finishing about 30 minutes behind me. So, I suppose I am asking if this would make me a sandbagger or not, or was that guy just a little out of line.

Like I said, I am new to this thing so I really have no idea where I belong. I wouldn't mind racing Sport, but really don't think that I have the fitness to be the least bit competitive. So what do you guys think? Am I a bagger or not?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
jpick915 said:
So, when would one be considered a "sandbagger."

I just entered and won my age group in beginner class for a regional series. This was my second race ever, in my first race I was third in my age group. Following the race, someone in my group came up to congratulate me on a nice race and then sort of threw in as an underhanded comment that he thought I should be racing Sport. I explained that it was my second race and had no idea how this whole thing worked, etc., which is the truth.

I finished the 9.5 mile course in 49:50 for the win in my age group and was 4th overall. The second place finisher in my age group was about 2:30 behind me and the third place finisher was 3:45 back, and the rest of the group (5 people) was over 10 minutes behind me, with the last guy finishing about 30 minutes behind me. So, I suppose I am asking if this would make me a sandbagger or not, or was that guy just a little out of line.

Like I said, I am new to this thing so I really have no idea where I belong. I wouldn't mind racing Sport, but really don't think that I have the fitness to be the least bit competitive. So what do you guys think? Am I a bagger or not?
Congrats on your finishes. I would take it as a positive comment to you. In other words, he was saying you have the ability and talent to consider moving up to the sport class where races are longer in duration and you can challenge yourself further.

No need to do it this year as it would be best to try and get another podium finish or two in your beginner class this season - let alone some more race experience (whether that means you finish this season with 2, 3, 4 or more races under you belt). Probably, for next season, it would be worth considering the longer distances that sport class offers if you are up for the challenge and feel that this year has prepared you as to what racing is all about. After all, sport class is filled with former beginner class racers who went through what you are going through this season.

Hey, somebody has to win the beginner class races in each age group. And somebody has to place last.:cool: Keep on doing what you are doing and take the comment as a positive that you are doing really well. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to smoke him again the next race you enter.:madmax:

BB

G

·
Finish the season and then if you're in the top 5, move up. After one season you're no longer a beginner rider/racer. The class is for new racers, not necessarily new riders. Job on your season.

·
Registered
156 Posts
thewatchtech said:
I think he was just complimenting you - not a slight at all, but like the man said, you should be riding sport!

You know I'm going to pester you with that whenever I get the chance. LOL.

Matt
Is there no where that I can avoid you :D?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I never raced beginner, wish I would have. Paid the price my first season. This is my second season and I would be winning the beginner series. Nice for confidence but after the first season I trained hard so I could hang in the sport class. Now i'm in the top third, but climbing.

Some people stay in a class lower just to place high or win. They have very weak minds and egos so you can't really get mad, you just have to pity them.

As for the thread starter. I can see why you dropped to rec because its shorter, but I'm not sure why the organizers allowed that. Anyways, you should have stayed in your class and just not finish or just finish in rec, but tell the organizer not to count you in the points series. At least you stood up and let some pass. There are A LOT of people who would have gone for the podium. You meant no harm so don't sweat it.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
hmm, uh... this thread has made me think...

I usually ride expert, middle of the pack or so there, but I'm fairly out of shape right now and haven't ridden seriously in 6 months due to finishing up grad school and now due to a very busy job. I thought I'd do a race this weekend 'just for fun' and race Sport, but on my fully rigid SS.

Will I be sandbagging? I just want to do a couple races during the rest of this year, just for fun, nothing serious, but then again if you're going to race you should race to win. Considering I'm not at peak fitness (even when I was at peak fitness and racing Sport I rarely won due to others sandbagging), and I will be 'handicapped' as compared to my geared and suspended competitors.... will I be a jerk?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Considering I'm not at peak fitness (even when I was at peak fitness and racing Sport I rarely won due to others sandbagging), and I will be 'handicapped' as compared to my geared and suspended competitors.... will I be a jerk?
I race sport (got four podiums this year, but haven't won yet; first podiums ever). I've raced with guys who raced expert, have been out of the loop for a few years and went back to sport.

I've beaten them, with their regular race bike, so therefore I don't feel bad about them coming back to sport. Now if they come back -race after race- taking podiums and going for the series points championship, that's pretty low.

One of them has taken a third place this season in one single race and hasn't raced since. He is probably going to expert next season back where he was a few season ago. Yes indeed, a noble person; just gauging where he is without doing the expert distance.

I think you should use you geared bike and do your best. If you get a podium, then you're ready to go back to expert. Using a singlespeed in sport when you're an expert rider is just showing off.

Or you should do the open single speed class since those riders are a mix of expert and sport guys anyways, at least in our race series.

Try to do a race where LyndaW shows up that way you can get your butt kicked by a woman (http://teamhealthfx.com/blogs/lynda/archive/2006/03/06/671.aspx). Then you can cry to the race director about her sandbagging the singlespeed or expert men.:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Guppie58 said:
I never raced beginner, wish I would have. Paid the price my first season. This is my second season and I would be winning the beginner series. Nice for confidence but after the first season I trained hard so I could hang in the sport class. Now i'm in the top third, but climbing.

Some people stay in a class lower just to place high or win. They have very weak minds and egos so you can't really get mad, you just have to pity them.

As for the thread starter. I can see why you dropped to rec because its shorter, but I'm not sure why the organizers allowed that. Anyways, you should have stayed in your class and just not finish or just finish in rec, but tell the organizer not to count you in the points series. At least you stood up and let some pass. There are A LOT of people who would have gone for the podium. You meant no harm so don't sweat it.
I feel ya. My first year racing (last year), I jumped right into sport. Only for the simple reason that I had been riding for years. I should have started beginner class. But overall, I feel good about it. I am still racing sport and getting better at it. I did race one beginner class this year. It was the first race of the season on a tough course. Finished 10th (out of 20) so I don't feel I was sandbagging it. But have race sport ever since. Still a long way from a podium, but I'm good with that.

Good luck out there everyone.

Ride On!
\m/

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a woman who races for the fun of it every once in a while, I feel that there are many other reasons to race besides getting "on the podium". Our field sizes are way smaller than men's, but the ethics are the same. You should race to challenge yourself and not enter a catagory that makes it too easy to get on the podium. If you don't race in a catagory that is sufficiently challenging to you, you are robbing those true beginners out there of the experience of racing against only other beginners and the chance of doing well against their peers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.