Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in South Mississippi and im using the Motoraptors on my rig. I'm finding that my mystery flats are coming from these little sand spurs that I runover on my nightly rides along the beach boardwalk. Being that the Moto is the only 29er tyre I've used so far, is there a bit tougher tyre out there that may be more resistant to these little spurs? I was running Kujo's on my 26" bike and not a single one ever got through? So...I'm thinking a little tougher tyre might be the way to go.

If you dont know what a sand spur is, I will be happy to mail you an envelope full of them to ya.

HOLLAR BACK!

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Sand Spurs?

I've no real suggestions for you. All I've ever used is IRC Notos, and only had 1 flat (and that was a wierd one, but a story for another day). I was curious about the Sand Spurs. Could you post an image of these things?

·
Registered
2 Posts
sand spurs

bigwheelboy_490 said:
I've no real suggestions for you. All I've ever used is IRC Notos, and only had 1 flat (and that was a wierd one, but a story for another day). I was curious about the Sand Spurs. Could you post an image of these things?
I don't have an image, but sand spurs are some kind of small pod that certain grasses put out when they get long enough (ie not mowed). They stick like velcro, and very sharp. I think its maybe a southern thing. Anybody whose ever grown up in the south has bad memories of getting pushed into the sandspurs by some evil big kid who wasn't loved enough by his parents. Painful as a MF'r.

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A field trip/photography opportunity, COOL

Ill take a pic tomorrow and post it, nasty little boogers these things are. The hole they leave in your tube is incredibly small.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Sounds like a job for slime tubes, or DIY latex-filled tubes. Should prevent airloss due to these small punctures. In some area's you can't ride without it.

·
highly visible
3,255 Posts
Sounds a lot like goat heads

a widespread problem we have in the lower elevations of the Northwest interior. Probably other places too, though they may or may not be the same thing you have.

I've come back from rides to find my tube slowly leaking from a half-dozen pinholes. Come to think of it, I've had Himalayan blackberries (ubiquitous west of the Cascades) do that too. Haven't tried slime tubes, because I'm deterred by the potential mess. When I'm riding in a known infected area, I slip in a Mr Tuffy tire liner, and haven't gotten a puncture when I've had a liner in place.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Disco_Inferno said:
I live in South Mississippi and im using the Motoraptors on my rig. I'm finding that my mystery flats are coming from these little sand spurs that I runover on my nightly rides along the beach boardwalk. Being that the Moto is the only 29er tyre I've used so far, is there a bit tougher tyre out there that may be more resistant to these little spurs? I was running Kujo's on my 26" bike and not a single one ever got through? So...I'm thinking a little tougher tyre might be the way to go.

If you dont know what a sand spur is, I will be happy to mail you an envelope full of them to ya.

HOLLAR BACK!
I would suggest sticking with your tires, but getting a pair of Bontrager Slime Tubes (or another brand). I only mention the Bonty's because I am currently using the product and am amazed. I ride in a lot of thorns and since I switched to slime filled - I haven't had a flat yet.

http://www.trekbikes.com/accessories/product_detail.jsp?category_id=1042&product_id=4842

BB

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,255 Posts
nmcculloch said:
Where did you get these liners. How wide are they? any sidewall protection?
Any bike shop should have them. Mr. Tuffy is the brand I use. SpinSkins also makes some thinner, lighter ones, and Slime makes one as well. Protection is mostly going to be in the tread, not the sidewall, unless you find some really wide ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts