Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potentially a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway.

I was riding my GT Peace SS a few days ago on a trail that has a lot of sand along it.
As a result my chain is making quite a bit of noise because of the sand stuck to it.
Cleaned as much off as possible with a rag but it's still bad.
All my tools, degreaser etc. are back home, where I won't be for almost a month.

How much damage could I do to the chain or cogs riding it in this state?

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
If you have lube I say squirt some water on it to flush out the sand as best you can, let it dry and then re-lube.

If you think that the chain won't dry quick enough and rust is a concern, run to the grocery/drug store and pick up some isopropyl alcohol and rinse it off with that then re-lube

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I know there are some people on these forums that get their panties in a bunch over the thought of someone spraying their bike with water, but I've found a garden hose sprayer does wonders for getting the sand out of your chain. I basically put the sprayer about an inch above the lower section of chain (sprayer pointed down towards ground) and spray while turning the cranks backwards. Sand in the drive train just drives me nuts so I will do this after each ride if I'm hitting a trail with sand. Since I'm not using any degreaser here, most of the lube actually remains intact.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I ride sand three times a week. Once you get the chain cleaned up and lubed, run the chain through a clean rag to remove all surface lube. This keeps the sand from sticking. I lube and wipe once a month and get over 1000 miles per chain.

The only downside to this system is rain. If it rains you will need to dry the chain after the ride to prevent rusting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.