Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potentially a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway.

I was riding my GT Peace SS a few days ago on a trail that has a lot of sand along it.
As a result my chain is making quite a bit of noise because of the sand stuck to it.
Cleaned as much off as possible with a rag but it's still bad.
All my tools, degreaser etc. are back home, where I won't be for almost a month.

How much damage could I do to the chain or cogs riding it in this state?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Sand can be damaging, especially wet sand (think sandpaper, wet sanding, etc). I saw some pictures of drivetrains after one day of racing in the Old Pueblo race during a freaky rainstorm near Tucson that were just amazing as to how much wear occurred in a short period of time.
What kind of lube are you using? If you're riding in dry conditions a dry lube (Boeshield T-9 or similar) shouldn't pickup too much, a wet lube would just attract it.

You don't even have your chain tool in your pack or anything? No local stores to buy supplies at? How about a gas station with compressed air to blow it off?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
What kind of lube are you using? If you're riding in dry conditions a dry lube (Boeshield T-9 or similar) shouldn't pickup too much, a wet lube would just attract it.

You don't even have your chain tool in your pack or anything? No local stores to buy supplies at? How about a gas station with compressed air to blow it off?
I don't own a chain tool at all.
Been meaning to buy one for years.

It was that bikes first day out so not sure what lube was on the chain.
Irish weather is hugely variable, but I've always used wet lube, as it's more widely available.

I'll try the compressed air tomorrow.

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
You can try getting a cheap toothbrush and try to clean the chain. Is it a new chain? Cause if it is the factory lube that's in the chain should work fine after you get most of the wet stuff off of it, but if you've degreased it then I definitely would find a bike shop and through some lube on it (dry chains scare me).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
RichyX said:
I don't own a chain tool at all.
Been meaning to buy one for years.

It was that bikes first day out so not sure what lube was on the chain.
Irish weather is hugely variable, but I've always used wet lube, as it's more widely available.

I'll try the compressed air tomorrow.
Depends on how dry your drivetrain was whether blowing might help much, more than likely a good cleaning with a solvent/degreaser and rinsing thoroughly would be much better along with an application of appropriate lube. Was it the chain's first day out? You just didn't lube it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.