Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

· I love bike!
1,152 Posts
+1 hawes

Another option if you're up for driving a little further is McDowell Mountain Park. The Pemberton loop is easy and scenic if you like just a straight-up cross country ride. The Comp Loops are much more fun IMO and designed around MTBing. Even the "tech loop" isn't really that technical. Just a drop or two that you can decide for yourself if you want to ride or walk. You can connect all 3 loops (sport, tech, long) into one loop and get in somewhere around 10ish miles if I remember correctly.

· Registered
262 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "beginner", but one of the best beginner riding areas is Usery Mtn Park. The trails on the south side of the park are mellow and fun, and you can take small steps up in difficulty by riding the Cat's Peak trails. The next level up is the part of Pass Mtn between the horse parking and the Wind Cave trailhead. After that, just keep going up Pass Mtn (clockwise) and turn around where you please. Once you can ride up to where Pass Mtn turns to the east you're up for most anything.

· Registered
123 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "beginner", but one of the best beginner riding areas is Usery Mtn Park. The trails on the south side of the park are mellow and fun, and you can take small steps up in difficulty by riding the Cat's Peak trails. The next level up is the part of Pass Mtn between the horse parking and the Wind Cave trailhead. After that, just keep going up Pass Mtn (clockwise) and turn around where you please. Once you can ride up to where Pass Mtn turns to the east you're up for most anything.
Thanks, I check it out all those trails..

· Registered
153 Posts
Man lots of ST haters. It is what it is. Close. Mellow. Pretty. If there was more biking interest there, trails would come. Its a decent work out and scenic ride if you live close and want some saddle time. Get out and ride! :)

· dirt visionary
6,539 Posts
Man lots of ST haters. It is what it is. Close. Mellow. Pretty. If there was more biking interest there, trails would come. Its a decent work out and scenic ride if you live close and want some saddle time. Get out and ride! :)
:skep: So how did you jump to this conclusion? I see no post in this thread dissing ST but people merly suggesting much better options.No one said ST sucked or don't ride it.

· DFL>DNF>DNS
3,432 Posts
I finally made it over to San Tan this afternoon, parked at the Goldmine TH so I could sample the new Dynamite Trail. What can I say, that trail is really nice! Sure it's a bit wide right now due to the new construction, but the grade is BCT-esque and it's a good one mile + climb to the top. From the TH it's 2.5 miles until you connect in with the San Tan trail. This will definitely be my preferred way to enter the park. Plus I can ride from home, 7 miles oneway, and easily put together a nice 35 mile ride. I did have to chuckle a bit at the upcoming switchback signs!!

One other note, on the Little Leaf trail they detoured around the chunky-ish drop into the wash creating a couple of switchbacks. Plus I also noticed quite a bit of trail work throughout the park to re-establish soft shoulders & better drainage. It's nice to see some work being done out there.

Here's today's track if interested:
http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/163141400

· Ridin Mexican Borderlines
95 Posts
I finally made it over to San Tan this afternoon, parked at the Goldmine TH so I could sample the new Dynamite Trail. What can I say, that trail is really nice! Sure it's a bit wide right now due to the new construction, but the grade is BCT-esque and it's a good one mile + climb to the top. From the TH it's 2.5 miles until you connect in with the San Tan trail. This will definitely be my preferred way to enter the park. Plus I can ride from home, 7 miles oneway, and easily put together a nice 35 mile ride. I did have to chuckle a bit at the upcoming switchback signs!!

One other note, on the Little Leaf trail they detoured around the chunky-ish drop into the wash creating a couple of switchbacks. Plus I also noticed quite a bit of trail work throughout the park to re-establish soft shoulders & better drainage. It's nice to see some work being done out there.

Here's today's track if interested:
http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/163141400
I wind up riding out from my house and it works out to be about 35 miles as well. We must live in the same vicinity. I agree with everything you said. The hope is that they add more miles and figure out a way to make Malpais into a rideable line.

· they took the bar
520 Posts
Just got back from San Tan. Had to go check out the dynamite trail. Left my home at 8:30am, and it was approximately 10.25 miles from my garage door to the Goldmine TH parking area.

So I did a quick Dynamite trail, out and back run. Gotta admit, it was a pretty cool trail. Hope the other trails can be improved like this.

As I was going up, I met an old timer who gave me a little bit of sh**. "Get that bike outta granny gear!" Hah, nice! :D

Saw about 9 MTBer's. 4 of them were not wearing helmets. :rolleyes:

Overall, I enjoyed the trail and the ride. A bit of horse pudding here and there, but nothing you can't dodge around. Saw probably a 15 hikers too.

beautiful day. Here's some pics via my Blackberry, (not the best camera).

-Jav

· Registered
123 Posts
Hi everyone! I was outhere too very early around 8, hiking with the wife( I know, believe me I wish I was riding the bike) anyway and I saw quite a few bikers more than I had seen before. Question is when you go up Dynamite, do you guys come back through Goldmine?(I Heard is pretty steep)

95 Posts
I got out there by about 2 this afternoon. Rode Dynamite/SanTan/Hedgehog/LittleLeaf/Dynamite from my house. The trail had cleared out considerably due to the balmy nature of the day I think. I'm thinking that SanTan got alot more rain last weekend than South Mountain. Trails seem quite a bit less loose at SanTan.

95 Posts
Hi everyone! I was outhere too very early around 8, hiking with the wife( I know, believe me I wish I was riding the bike) anyway and I saw quite a few bikers more than I had seen before. Question is when you go up Dynamite, do you guys come back through Goldmine?(I Heard is pretty steep)
Out and back on Dynamite only. I've done Goldmine a couple of times and swore I wouldn't try to ride it again after the last time.

· they took the bar
520 Posts
I got out there by about 2 this afternoon. Rode Dynamite/SanTan/Hedgehog/LittleLeaf/Dynamite from my house. The trail had cleared out considerably due to the balmy nature of the day I think. I'm thinking that SanTan got alot more rain last weekend than South Mountain. Trails seem quite a bit less loose at SanTan.
Dude,

if you're riding out there next Saturday, we'll hook up. I'd like to try that loop too. I only did the Dynamite out and back.

Easter weekend coming up, so I can only do it on Sat. Since Wifey is planning the family get together on Sunday. :D

I can get to the Goldmine TH around 8am. (I have to ride 10 miles to get there from my house). Hopefully, next Saturday will be just as good weather wise, as this last one.

Anyone else interested? Please be kind, I'm not a mountain goat, so I always climb in the 1/1 granny gear going up. :D

-Jav

95 Posts
Dude,

if you're riding out there next Saturday, we'll hook up. I'd like to try that loop too. I only did the Dynamite out and back.

Easter weekend coming up, so I can only do it on Sat. Since Wifey is planning the family get together on Sunday. :D

I can get to the Goldmine TH around 8am. (I have to ride 10 miles to get there from my house). Hopefully, next Saturday will be just as good weather wise, as this last one.

Anyone else interested? Please be kind, I'm not a mountain goat, so I always climb in the 1/1 granny gear going up. :D

-Jav
I'm on the way so if you want, I can meet you somewhere in the general vicinity of Chandler Heights/Higley and we can ride out together from there.

· Registered
123 Posts
I'm on the way so if you want, I can meet you somewhere in the general vicinity of Chandler Heights/Higley and we can ride out together from there.
Unfortunately Family is coming over this weekend.. But if you guys go the week after easter (Friday(morning) or Saturday) let me know.. I also live by Chandler Heights and Higley and would like to join (like I said) I am a beginner but SanTan are the trail that I have been practicing..
thanks,
Gera

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.