Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might plan a trip to SJT this weekend, do you think it will still be muddy, or should give it more time?

Also, I get a little worried about the "Cliff drop" turns there, anything i should know before i ride?

Thanks!

·
Johny Sokko!
301 Posts
It's in perfect condition, climbed it yesterday. It was dry where the sun was exposed and tacky in the covered area, no mud, except for two small water puddles.There are no true cliff drops, you need to go to the San Gabriels for that. If you do come across something you don't like just walk it.

Nice!

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
They do not sell them. The ranger will give you a ticket for not displaying a forest pass. You then send in your $5 and that is your price for admission.

Big 5 sporting goods sells a yearly pass for $30.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Captain Snakebite said:
Is the road to Blue Jay camp open?
You might want to call and ask about the "Blue Jay" road before you go. I rode my DH rig out there on Saturday and the ranger / fire department, was kicking everyone out when I went back up to get our shuttle vehicle. They are having huge problems with falling rocks and broken trees that could go at anytime due to snow damage! The ranger was saying the that we should have not been able to get in on Blue Jay but someone keeps removing the signs...????

As far as the trail goes it was peeeeerrrrfect!!!! some muddy spots but really good traction! If you are doing a shuttle run I would be willing to go I have a truck leme know.

:thumbsup:

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just called Trabuco Ranger District (951-736-1811) the guy on the phone said "the whole park is closed"....this cant be right???? Can someone confirm?

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
Captain Snakebite said:
I just called Trabuco Ranger District (951-736-1811) the guy on the phone said "the whole park is closed"....this cant be right???? Can someone confirm?
Forest web site shows everything to be open. Maybe they have the camp ground closed? If this is the case you could still park at the top or on the lower road and bike to trail head. To play it safe I would plan on climbing from the bottom. I really enjoy the climb as there are no real grinds like on the Main Divide plus it is safer than driving up Ortega. Then again, I almost got taken out 3 times last weekend from riders coming down the trail. Its all good though. :thumbsup:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/index.shtml

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's the deal with SJT:

N. Main Divide (the road you turn onto from Ortega Hwy in order to drive up to Blue Jay) is open. The road is closed right at the parking spot right before you enter the Blue Jay campground, and the campground is closed, as well (duh). Upper San Juan trail has MANY downed trees, I would guess between 12-20, and it's not really any fun. You can take the Old San Juan connector, and bypass a lot of the trees. After that point, it's in pretty prime condition! Super tacky and Uber fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.