Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
San Juan Trail - << All Mountain - Advanced Ride >> - This Sat. Feb 25, 9AM

San Juan

San Juan Capistrano Mountains << EPIC >> -
Sat. February 11 @ 9AM ADVANCED XC RIDERS

This ride is for ADVANCED All Mountain/XC riders only

Please, no newbies OR beginners on this ride - you will not have a good time. ONLY ADVANCED ALL MOUNTAIN XC RIDERS ARE INVITED to join us!!!! If you are wondering if this ride is for you, then it is most likely not!

Many riders do this trail from the bottom as a loop/out and back. But not us, as a group, we always do this trail as a shuttle.

Many of you guys have been itching for a nice shuttle ride, and the San Juan trail is the best in Southern California. If you shuttle, you know San Juan. Located in Southern Orange County in national forest land, we'll meet at the lower trailhead and shuttle up to the campground for some awesome XC fun. Part of the ride has SOME climbing therefore DH bikes are NOT recommended. An 'all-mountain' bike would be perfect. The trail is fast, steep and loose next to wide open cliffs and views to the ocean. Total ride is roughly 12-15 miles with 2,500' of elevation - truly EPIC.

GET ALL THE COMPLETE INFO

·
Registered
113 Posts
need bigger numbers

Gimper4JC said:
...........................Total ride is roughly 12-15 miles with 2,500' of elevation - truly EPIC.
even if it was technical most of the way, the numbers don't add up. i'd have to disagree on that ride being called EPIC

anyone care to put their 2 cents on how they interpret what an epic ride is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
....epic

I guess "EPIC" depends on the rider and previous experiences. 15 miles is a good warm-up for me. And..........any ride description with the word "Shuttle" in it is NON-EPIC. Leave the cars at home and ride you posers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
mtcali said:
I guess "EPIC" depends on the rider and previous experiences. 15 miles is a good warm-up for me. And..........any ride description with the word "Shuttle" in it is NON-EPIC. Leave the cars at home and ride you posers.
15-16 miles of climbing is the norm for me (blackstar to motorway, cook's to satiago peak via harding, Mt Lowe, Mt.Baldy Village via Marshall Canyon/Potato Mountain plus many other routes). Shuttling is not part of the equation (except for Palm Canyon in PS, but that's 30 brutal miles)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
huh!

Yeah, definately not EPIC, and probably not the best idea to publicize a SHUTTLE ride on the weekend. That trail is busy enough. The last thing we need is 50 bikers shuttling down in the morning.

We can all have our own opinions, and I respect yours. I think it is great you are getting people stoked to ride. My thouhgts are that it might be better to shuttle on the weekdays, or later in the afternoon when all the real epic riders are on their way down.

Have fun aither way. Judging by the pics of the last ride it looks wwaaaaaaaaaay to advanced for me! :rolleyes:

Epic Mtn Biker said:
even if it was technical most of the way, the numbers don't add up. i'd have to disagree on that ride being called EPIC

anyone care to put their 2 cents on how they interpret what an epic ride is?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm still laughing

That's a funny post for a shuttle ride. I really like:

"ONLY ADVANCED ALL MOUNTAIN XC RIDERS ARE INVITED"

And

"Total ride is roughly 12-15 miles with 2,500' of elevation - truly EPIC."

I do hope it entices some to ride a very fun trail. If anyone is thinking of joining them, go ahead. It's actually a relatively smooth single track with many switchbacks. Just be mindful that many of us will be climbing the trail you'll be bombing down.

BTW Gimper4JC, cool website. I've never seen this before.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,045 Posts
SScheetz said:
That's a funny post for a shuttle ride. I really like:

"ONLY ADVANCED ALL MOUNTAIN XC RIDERS ARE INVITED"

And

"Total ride is roughly 12-15 miles with 2,500' of elevation - truly EPIC."

I do hope it entices some to ride a very fun trail. If anyone is thinking of joining them, go ahead. It's actually a relatively smooth single track with many switchbacks. Just be mindful that many of us will be climbing the trail you'll be bombing down.

BTW Gimper4JC, cool website. I've never seen this before.
This whole thread is hilarious. One man's Epic is another man's leisure ride. The word shuttle should never be included in the same sentence as Epic.

·
Jus' Ridin' Along
269 Posts
Epic Schmepic

Gimper4JC said:
San Juan

Please, no newbies OR beginners on this ride - you will not have a good time. ONLY ADVANCED ALL MOUNTAIN XC RIDERS ARE INVITED to join us!!!! If you are wondering if this ride is for you, then it is most likely not!

Many riders do this trail from the bottom as a loop/out and back. But not us, as a group, we always do this trail as a shuttle.

Many of you guys have been itching for a nice shuttle ride, and the San Juan trail is the best in Southern California. If you shuttle, you know San Juan. Located in Southern Orange County in national forest land, we'll meet at the lower trailhead and shuttle up to the campground for some awesome XC fun. Part of the ride has SOME climbing therefore DH bikes are NOT recommended. An 'all-mountain' bike would be perfect. The trail is fast, steep and loose next to wide open cliffs and views to the ocean. Total ride is roughly 12-15 miles with 2,500' of elevation - truly EPIC.

GET ALL THE COMPLETE INFO
OK, this is a joke right? I'm just not sure how shuttling the San Juan Can be epic...
Just for the record, if you climb from the bottom, do the round about and go back down, that's 21 miles and about 2000' of gain/loss. Shuttling cuts that milage by about 1/2, and only includes about 150' of climbing. And DH bikes are the norm for that kind of short ride (but I've seen people do it on cruisers).

Try the climb to Cocktail instead, then decide if you want to do the loop. At least you'll get in a 12 mile ride with a little exercise. It's a fairly easy climb (my bud's 12 year old daughter does it regularly) and you'll get to know the trail as you ascend making the down safer for everyone.

You want epic? Climb the whole trail to Blue Jay, then go up Main Divide to Los Pinos, then descend "The Pines". That's all day epic riding!

·
Registered
40 Posts
BobL said:
You want epic? Climb the whole trail to Blue Jay, then go up Main Divide to Los Pinos, then descend "The Pines". That's all day epic riding!
Another good one is up SJT, continue on Main Divide past Trabuco Creek to Holy Jim, down Holy Jim, back up Trabuco Creek, down SJT. You can refill water at BlueJay campground (top of SJT), This is my plan for Monday with a couple of other crazy friends.

·
Banned
1,865 Posts
Gimper4JC said:
San Juan

I certainly hope you know that in the NF you need permits for an organized group event of 20 or more, even if it is not "epic", "advanced" or a commercial venture.

Also, it's the Santa Ana Mountains, not the San Juan Capistrano Mountains. The San Juan Mountains are in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Holy Hyperbole!

A mostly downhill ride that's about 12 miles is "epic"? If you ride from Blue Jay to the SJT trailhead slowly its maybe 2 hours. And skipping all the good climbing in favor of a shuttle run kind of neuters the concept of "all mountain," too.

·
over researcher
1,158 Posts
from website said:
What to bring:
• Helmet - No helmet, no ride.
• Gloves.
• Shin and elbow guards are a good idea.
• Water.
• Food.
• Prepped Bike. Lube the chain and check your tires
Helmet required? No thanks, all my epic rides are helmetless.

Gimper4JC said:
Yeah, all the beginners and newbies start at the bottom, WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TOO! I shuttled SJT once. It was the Saturday after the Judas Priest concert at Irvine Meadows last June, and I had about 3 hours sleep. It was the first time I had ridden in over 2 years, and I was on my H/T. It was embarrasing that I wasn't starting at the bottom, but my buddies were riding 40+ pound bikes set up for DH. I guess shuttling a full moon night ride would be kind of fun though.

G

·
i agree. nobody should sling the term epic when talking about a 12 mile shuttle on SJT.

SJT is a great trail. start from the bottom and ride up. do the loop at the top. have some fun and earn that wonderful downhill ride.

the wife and i are going to ride Trabuco-Holy Jim next saturday. not even that ride qualifies as epic before-hand. an epic ride cannot be declared in advance. (see definition below)

i do give you props for asking your fellow shuttle monkeys to wear helmets. good call.

ep·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pk)
n.
An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

roy... i hope you are kidding. seriously. to be honest though, if you sustain a severe head injury, a trip from the couch to the can and back can be an epic. i know, my sister fractured her skull in 6 places because she was too cool to put a helmet on.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Almost anybody

with a little experience riding singletrack (year or more) will be able to do a shuttle ride on San Juan. But if Mr. Gimper doesn't think you have what it takes, then just go ahead and climb it. it really is as much fun to climb as it is to descend.

I personally don't think this trail should ever be shuttled. It really is to easy.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Shuttling San Juan is soo 1998.

Seriously though....if the group is comprised of intermediate/advanced riders you're probably making your day longer by shuttling. Once you drive up...park a car...drive back....you might as well just climb it and get it over with.

B

·
over researcher
1,158 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
roy... i hope you are kidding. seriously. to be honest though, if you sustain a severe head injury, a trip from the couch to the can and back can be an epic. i know, my sister fractured her skull in 6 places because she was too cool to put a helmet on.
Actually, I was being a total smart azz. I don't think there has ever been a time that I've owned a MTB where I rode without a helmet. I did Twin Rings at Chino Hills on Friday. On the way down North Ridge I saw a guy riding up without a helmet. Silly idea. I had a few friends in Yreka, CA who would sometimes take off the helmet for the fireroad climb and put it on for the descent. At least there, due to low population, you didn't have to worry about people bombing down the other way. I wouldn't ever do that in SoCal though, because the "way more hardcore than I can ever possibly imagine shuttle crew" (patent pending phrase) will more than likely be bombing around a corner and smack right into you.

Sorry to hear about your sister. How long did that happen?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally don't think this trail should ever be shuttled. It really is to easy.[/QUOTE]

I love it when I start the climp the same time the DH people leave in their cars, and et to the top riht before they are about to descend. It makes me wonder if all that extra gas and cartime was worth it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
EzyRider said:
Another good one is up SJT, continue on Main Divide past Trabuco Creek to Holy Jim, down Holy Jim, back up Trabuco Creek, down SJT. You can refill water at BlueJay campground (top of SJT), This is my plan for Monday with a couple of other crazy friends.
Someday I want to learn this connection. So does this mean you shuttle it.... go one way? Otherwise, that would be totally insane! How many miles is it one way from start to finish! (the bennin of the SJT to the end of HOly Jim) How about the fireroad from the SJT to Holy Jim.... how many miles is that? You should put a post sometime. I'd love to learn this ride oneday (i.e. how the 2 rides connect) Let us know how your ride went.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.