Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
San Juans Road Trip - A little riding, a lot of everything else.

Living in the front range of Colorado, I've got a lot of options for a short weekend. Winter Park, Breckenridge, maybe Crested Butte or Aspen or Fruita, or as a stretch, Moab. That's not including day trips to Colorado Springs, or Fort Collins, or Nederland, or Estes Park.

There's a few options be sure. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

So the San Juans, for the most part, sat in southwestern Colorado, neglected, just out of reasonable reach. Enter the 5-day weekend to celebrate our country's independence. A crew was assembled. My wife and I, and 2 other couples, with one kid each, headed off Friday after work, headed towards a spot on the map pointed out by our ringleader for the weekend, Pablo.

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saturday, things didn't go according to plan. After arriving at camp mid morning, the skies darkened. We set up our New Tarp City, gathered ourselves up in warm clothes, and prepared to wait it out. As the rain lifted, the last of our crew showed up, barely. The dirt road we headed up to reach camp was an ice skating rink of mud and rain. We were in for the short or long haul, all dependent on the whims of the weather. We made the best of it, a quick hike and a brisk game of disc in the waning drizzle.

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We woke Sunday to blue skies. After a stiff round of coffee, and some enjoyment of our camp's view, we packed up for a day trip to Telluride. We split up into groups for the day - some hiking, some riding easier trails, and me headed towards some of the steeps just outside of town. Everything, it seemed, was steep out of Telluride.

We all regrouped for a late lunch east of town, gazing at Bridal Veil Falls.

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monday, us men headed out for the long haul, way to late. On the advice of the MTBR collective mind, we headed towards Molas Pass and a section of the Colorado Trail. We got there late for an above treeline ride - past 11. The storms were already gathering, and we were eyeing the skies the entire ride, trying to maximize our ride time while not risking our necks with hyperthermia, or lightening.

The ride was amazing. Utterly amazing. We were out for 2 hours, and we were all stunned at the buffness of the trail, and beauty of our surroundings. As we made the hard decision to turn around much too far from our destination, we all promised to return soon and ride it all.

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After getting chased to our car with thunder rumbling around and rain starting, we headed back to Ouray to meet up with the rest of our crew for a much needed lunch and rest.

That was it for riding bikes for the weekend. We took our time heading home, stopping to check out the sights along the way, including the amazing quarry outside Marble.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.