Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice or input on SJ H2H trip from those that have done it. We are booked for end of September 2022. We have the entire Hut as there are 8 of us. We are all sorting through our kits and should be good to go with tools and equipment as there is a lot of experience in the group. How cold will it be at the end of September? Based on this year it could be cold and rainy. My other questions are: Is there any luxury items you wish you would have brought on the trip? One of our group will turn 50, so we will have some scotch with us. How's the coffee? Looks like there is pour over or a percolator. Is it worth bringing your own coffee? Looks like there is a fair bit of down time, so card games might make there way into someone's bag. Is it worth it to bring a speaker or ultra light hammock? Last question, I have some minimalist trail running shoes, do you need anything more than crocs or lightweight flip flops?

TIA

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looking for some advice or input on SJ H2H trip from those that have done it. We are booked for end of September 2022. We have the entire Hut as there are 8 of us. We are all sorting through our kits and should be good to go with tools and equipment as there is a lot of experience in the group. How cold will it be at the end of September? Based on this year it could be cold and rainy. My other questions are: Is there any luxury items you wish you would have brought on the trip? One of our group will turn 50, so we will have some scotch with us. How's the coffee? Looks like there is pour over or a percolator. Is it worth bringing your own coffee? Looks like there is a fair bit of down time, so card games might make there way into someone's bag. Is it worth it to bring a speaker or ultra light hammock? Last question, I have some minimalist trail running shoes, do you need anything more than crocs or lightweight flip flops?

TIA
No need to bring your own coffee unless you are some kind of coffee snob. Since you have to carry anything you will need from Hut to Hut. Don't bring any extra luxuries. It can be cold at the higher elevation Huts. At least they'll have cold foods like eggs and cheese. You'll be fine for shoes. I lost one of my shoes and wore bike shoes the rest of the trip. So Croks or flip flops are fine. Down time is spent socializing, cooking and sleeping.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Which trip are you doing? The Telluride- Moab trip stays at higher elevations versus the Durango-Moab, which has more high desert riding in the middle. Either one can have cold mornings. Make your clothes do double duty, change out of your bike shorts and put on your tights or baggy shorts. Light shoes or sandals that you can wear with wool socks would be better on cool mornings or evenings than flip flops. There are no showers, so some personal wipes or rubbing alcohol for the pits and the boys can help. Their coffee, food and snacks are good. Get creative and flexible with the available foods. It is mostly canned or boxed, but you can create some good meals out of it.
Have fun, I have done both trips and enjoyed them both.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which trip are you doing? The Telluride- Moab trip stays at higher elevations versus the Durango-Moab, which has more high desert riding in the middle. Either one can have cold mornings. Make your clothes do double duty, change out of your bike shorts and put on your tights or baggy shorts. Light shoes or sandals that you can wear with wool socks would be better on cool mornings or evenings than flip flops. There are no showers, so some personal wipes or rubbing alcohol for the pits and the boys can help. Their coffee, food and snacks are good. Get creative and flexible with the available foods. It is mostly canned or boxed, but you can create some good meals out of it.
Have fun, I have done both trips and enjoyed them both.
We are doing the Durango to Moab trip. Looking at the elevation profile, the first few days are higher up, so possibly colder. We have a solid crew of 8 going and can divide up tools, spares and luxury items. Wipes and sanitizer are part of the planning. Sounds like coffee is good, looked like there was Folgers in the cabinets which did have some of the connoisseurs worried. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are doing the Durango to Moab trip. Looking at the elevation profile, the first few days are higher up, so possibly colder. We have a solid crew of 8 going and can divide up tools, spares and luxury items. Wipes and sanitizer are part of the planning. Sounds like coffee is good, looked like there was Folgers in the cabinets which did have some of the connoisseurs worried. Thanks for the input.
When we did Durango to Moab, the first two nights and the last night were chilly and we needed to fire up the wood burning stove. As far as coffee goes, when we did Telluride to Moab in 2019 the huts had stuff to do either percolated or pour-over (the 2016 DtM trip only had percolators).

For the Durango trip, you'll have two options to clean up a bit. You can take a dip in the Miramonte Reservior on the 3rd (I think?) day and then, if you ask nicely and offer them a tip, the folks that run the Paradox Produce Company might let you do a quick sink-rinse while they fix you supper. Call ahead on this because we did it five years ago now, but the food is good and the owners also stock the hut. They'll probably even shuttle you back and forth to/from the hut.

·
Nurse Ben
11,616 Posts
Why do you need a shower? Have you never done an extended trip on bike or foot where you could only wash your face and hands?

I generally use creek crossings, puddles, whatever I find along the way, even water from my bag or bottle for a quick head and hand rinse is certainly adequate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.