Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited the city for the first time this past weekend to watch my wife compete in the Nike Women's Marathon (she did the half).

We were there with the Team in Training, so we had a lot of stuff planned out for us already, which limited our options. It was cool seeing all the bikes everywhere in town. Not as much as a lot of European cities, but quite a few for a city in the USA. The drivers and cyclists I saw mostly played well together, too. It was pretty earth-shattering to me to see most cyclists playing by the rules, even.

Yeah, there was the occasional blown light or stop sign, but I didn't see anyone nearly cause a wreck doing it. I also don't recall seeing anyone riding the wrong way on the street, which is a HUGE problem in the small city in TX where I live now. Most of the poor folks/people with DUI's on bikes ride the wrong way on the streets around here. There aren't as many people here who simply choose to ride a bike, and we've got a pretty healthy population of bike commuters for a small city.

I would have loved to have the time to rent a mtb and head to the hills, but I only had a few hours per day where I got to choose what to do, anyway.

I did take a tour bus out to Marin County and up to Muir Woods to walk up there for about an hour, though, and got to see a bit of the terrain around Mt Tam. I understand that a lot of people in the Bay Area are not happy with mtb access in that area compared to the potential, but I'm pretty certain that even what is available would be pretty good compared to my local goods. I didn't see them, but my wife said she saw some folks riding in the hills just near the Golden Gate bridge on the Marin County side. She had the window seat on the bus and did not point them out to me at the time.

Lots of food options. Some of the ones we tried were just meh, but we did have some pretty good food while we were there. I'm sure with a little bit more time, we'd have been able to sort through the options a little better to find the really good places.

I'd certainly like to come back to CA and spend some more time there. I have no idea if it'd be possible for us to afford to live there, though. We have a modest, but nice home right now, and we were seeing some stuff for sale that looked just as modest with a price tag in the vicinity of 4x+ what we paid for our current place. Our cash flow works for us. We are able to afford our place and have some extra to save, to have a little bit of luxuries, and take the occasional big trip. Even with the economy in the pits, we do not have to worry because we live within our means. I don't know that our lifestyle would be possible for us there...at least in the areas we saw.

Still, cool place. I have lots and lots of pics, but it will take awhile to get them online.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Glad you guys had a good weekend out here. You had some good weather (which only comes around for a month or two) but man were there a ton of people in the city for the race!

The city is overpriced, and most people who live there spend way too much on rent/mortgage. There are plenty of nice places within 20 miles of the city that are cheaper (with more MTB nearby!)

Hopefully you can come back soon and check out some of the local MTB scene.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Try Portland or Boulder, you get all the good cycling as well as closer skiing :)

You also have a better bike culture, imho.

I used to live in SF, now I live in San Jose, honestly if I could find work that paid what I make here I would move in a heart beat. If I had my choice it would be Tahoe (probably Truckee), Boseman, Boulder, or Portland.

Just the same when I'm gone for awhile I do miss it. I mean I don't know how I would live without Zachary's pizza and watching the sunset from skyline when the fog is rolling is can be breath taking :)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
If the post above is referring to Boulder, Colorado, Boulder is not affordable. Though, you can find a more reasonable cost of living east of Boulder. However, in my opinion Boulder County taxes are too high so south of Boulder is better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If the post above is referring to Boulder, Colorado, Boulder is not affordable. Though, you can find a more reasonable cost of living east of Boulder. However, in my opinion Boulder County taxes are too high so south of Boulder is better.
Compared to the San Francisco area it is :)

While it's not as cheap as say Ft. Collins (for local areas), it's still relatively in-expensive for someone who is living out here. One of my friends just bought a 3 bed / 2 bath place for $600,000 and it needs major repairs, after years of looking he considers it a steal. Personally I'm happy to continue spending about $1600/mo on rent because I don't want to risk dumping so much money into a house when I really want to move out of the area :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Try Portland or Boulder, you get all the good cycling as well as closer skiing :)
As a Boulder native, I have to clarify that it is a good bike town, for roadies and commuters... Not so much for mountain bikers. Most of the Open Space is closed to bikes, what is open is pretty flat or only accessible after several miles of riding -and a lot of climbing- on busy roads without shoulders or bike lanes; or... you need to drive 30+ minutes to the trailheads. It DOES however, have an amazing system of bike paths, lanes and routes that are unparalleled in any city or town I've ever lived in, so getting around town by bike is easy, safe and all-around awesome.

And as a current resident of the Bay Area (just moved from the Inner Sunset to Marin last week), I can attest that there is some great singletrack to be had IN the city limits itself:thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
As a Boulder native, I have to clarify that it is a good bike town, for roadies and commuters... Not so much for mountain bikers. Most of the Open Space is closed to bikes, what is open is pretty flat or only accessible after several miles of riding -and a lot of climbing- on busy roads without shoulders or bike lanes; or... you need to drive 30+ minutes to the trailheads. It DOES however, have an amazing system of bike paths, lanes and routes that are unparalleled in any city or town I've ever lived in, so getting around town by bike is easy, safe and all-around awesome.

And as a current resident of the Bay Area (just moved from the Inner Sunset to Marin last week), I can attest that there is some great singletrack to be had IN the city limits itself:thumbsup:
There is very little I would call amazing in city limits, but I guess everyone is different. Personally I found very little worth riding that didn't require a drive when I lived in the city. Now that I live in the south bay most really fun rides require at least 30 minutes of driving each way.

As for Boulder, I personally think there is much more good mountain biking in driving distance. Also as someone who commutes via bike every day the bike friendly nature of the city is a huge plus. Add to that the better snow in Colorado and it's a big win.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Save your money and come to SF for vacations. Lots of great riding within an hour or two. Do it in the summer and you can do a mini road trip to Tahoe, Downieville, and places closer to SF. There's also plenty of nice non-biking things nearby as well.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Huntermos is nuts. Boulder is within a 45 minute drive of miles of mountain bike trails. There is no comparison between Boulder and San Francisco. If you compare all the legal single track miles between Lyons and Denver to all the miles available from Marin to Santa Cruz, the Front Range would probably have more than 10 times as many miles.

SF is the best city in the USA, but it is not the best mountain biking city. Not even close.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
In my opinion comparatively speaking, between Boulder and the surrounding areas, Boulder is not as good a value. Certainly, if someone is specifically interested in being near mountain bike trails, there are towns in the general area of Boulder which are less expensive and closer to mountain bike trails.

Boulder is a really cool town and many people are willing to pay extra to live there. That is part of the reason it is more expensive then the surrounding areas. Many people in the Front Range would not call Boulder affordable.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Huntermos is nuts. Boulder is within a 45 minute drive of miles of mountain bike trails. There is no comparison between Boulder and San Francisco. If you compare all the legal single track miles between Lyons and Denver to all the miles available from Marin to Santa Cruz, the Front Range would probably have more than 10 times as many miles.

SF is the best city in the USA, but it is not the best mountain biking city. Not even close.
I'll take "Nuts" as a compliment I guess. I never said that SF, or NorCal, is better then Boulder -ever- and I never would. I just said that Boulder is not some mt. biking nirvana. Better work on your reading comprehension there Thor.:thumbsup:

Boulder is better than some places, and I'm proud to call it my home town, but it pales in comparison to many other places.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol..."affordable" to me is my brand new (at the time) 1500sqft 3br 2ba brick home with a 2 car garage on 0.8 acres that cost $119,000.

arguing between Boulder and San Francisco is semantics to me. Both are much more interesting places to be, they are much more expensive places to live, and they both have more/better bike trails than what's currently available to me. I only have about 14mi of singletrack within half an hour, and that's scattered between a few different places. There are some miles of ATV and horse trails within an hour, but the soil here is sugar sand, and when motos and horses break through the upper 3 inches of topsoil, the trails are no better than beaches so they are not worth the time most of the time. A couple have more than 5mi each, but one is as short as 1/4mi. A few miles of bike paths in town, and no bike lanes.

·
Plays with tools
4,655 Posts
Compared to the San Francisco area it is :)

While it's not as cheap as say Ft. Collins (for local areas), it's still relatively in-expensive for someone who is living out here. One of my friends just bought a 3 bed / 2 bath place for $600,000 and it needs major repairs, after years of looking he considers it a steal. Personally I'm happy to continue spending about $1600/mo on rent because I don't want to risk dumping so much money into a house when I really want to move out of the area :)
everything is cheap compared to LOLfornia.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
I'd have to strongly disagree with you here. As far as big cities are concerned, NY beats SF hands-down. In California, San Diego wins every time.

SF is crowded, dirty, extremely overpriced, has terrible weather, and when compared to many other cities, the people really aren't that friendly.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Nate, are you seriously considering relocation or were you just conversing? I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations here. The Front Range is an excellent riding area. However, people need to take into account that most of the trails were originally designed by and for hikers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
SF rocks.We travel from NZ every couple of years and visit with friends in the city central.Always bring our mountain bikes and have a ball.Lots of trails thru the parks in the city and a short ride across the bridge gets u strait into the Marin headlands.The city has a gr8 bike culture and just riding around the streets is a blast.As stated a road trip to Tahoe opens up even greater possibilities.Love the place.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nate, are you seriously considering relocation or were you just conversing? I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations here. The Front Range is an excellent riding area. However, people need to take into account that most of the trails were originally designed by and for hikers.
just conversing. I'll be relocating eventually when I finish my master's, but locations will depend on job availability first, biking (and other outdoor rec) second.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.