Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Looking for some advice. Me, my wife and 1y/o are making a week long trip to Cali in late Oct. We planned to visit san fran, napa, big sur and driving to yosemite. (or anywhere else thats really cool) Its my first time to that area. 2 questions:

1 What do you guys think are must see/do outdoor hiking adventure type stuff for my wife and my 1 y/o (he'll be in a back pack and i"ll be carrying him.) in the described area.

2 I've been graced with 1 day to ride of my choosing at the location of my choosing as long as its within reason and along our route. Im normally a non spandex wearing XC type of guy. (does that make sense?)

thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well in late October the Sierra's could be snow free or not. I'd take my baggy short wearin butt up to there if there is no snow. Anything on the rim trail is awesome. Downieville of course would also be worth while, but again you will have to play it by ear for weather conditions. Usually at that time we at least got some rain which settles the dust real nice after a long Sierra summer. If it's snowy in the mountains, maybe Fort Bragg and the Jackson Demo forest. I have never been there but people on this forum rave about it. Just do a search in the Nor-Cal forum and you will find info and connections.

If your in Big Sur, check out Sykes hot springs in the Ventana wilderness, it is awesome. It's a 9 mile hike in there but you seem like the adventurous type, The pools are ringed by redwoods. It's been awhile but the hike was pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
For the riding part, you could spend a day riding in Santa Cruz - awesome XC and more - and it is pretty much right on your route b/t SF & Big Sur.

As far as outdoor stuff, you are covering a lot of ground and there is so much to see & do so it is almost hard to narrow it down without some more variables - the factor of carrying a kid probably eliminates a bunch of stuff, including some of the hikes at Yosemite, but depending on your comfort & fitness level, maybe Nevada Falls? - views at the top don't get much better

One other suggestion - when you go to Napa, don't - skip the well-known main areas of Napa that are crowded and touristy and go somewhere nearby that is slightly less crowded and touristy - I like Calistoga, or head over to Sonoma

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Welcome and enjoy. You'll not be disappointed.

One thing... "cali" and or "san fran/frisco". Don't. Not ever.

California, San Francisco, or 'The City' please. You'll not sound like a tourist that way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yosemite Valley in late October

has nice fall colors, at least by California standards. The waterfalls have pretty much dried up by then, but the crowds are gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts