Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

San Diego to North Carolina

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  NigelMTB 
#1 ·
Hey All. San Diego rider here who's wife might be getting a job with Hanes in Winston Salem.
I'm trying to figure out where to live that's no more that an hour commute for her.
I'd prefer it to be West of W-S so it's closer to the Ashville area and all it associated riding spots for me.

Been looking at the Uwharrie area as well as Hanging Rock in terms of areas to call "Local riding spots"

Ideas?

#2 ·
Wilkesboro is an hour west on 421, has a very good trail system on the Kerr Scott Reservoir, and is 40 minutes east of Boone, which has some great stuff... Statesville is like maybe a half hour closer to Asheville than Wilkesboro and 45 minutes from Wilkesboro and 45 minutes from the Dash, and 45 minutes from Charlotte... also Lake Norman isnt far at all (like 15 minutes) from Statesville... so my vote would be Statesville in terms of convenience to other places, if you dont want to live in Winston Salem proper

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks All... Looks like we're gonna rent a house for a few months till we get the lay of the land.
After that we'll buy a property/house.
Question, at the risk of vanity, what is the "hipper" parts of W-S that we should look at?
What are some parts we should stay away from?

#7 ·
I lived there over a decade ago, and downtown was waking up with places like the Nissen building, and the Piedmont Leaf Lofts having very luxurious condos... but downtown was still kinda rough. West End and Hanes Park were pretty nice areas very close to downtown... Buena Vista and the West Highlands area were very nice as well. That was however, a decade ago so probably a lot has changed since then. That was back when Mock Orange Bikes was still in the old pharmacy building in West End.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I'm in Winston on the Southside not far from Hobby Park and Tanglewood (10mins). Also puts you close to Kernersville which has new riding that I haven't checked out yet. This will be my 2nd season riding. Close to 40, 52 and you can be on 85 in about 20mins to get you to Charlotte.

#13 ·
I hope to check that KVille park out this year a long with the new Rock Quarry area as well. I heard it was a nice ride. The OP is looking to stay an hour or so away to be closer to Asheville but I think the commute and 52 or 40 may extend that time frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.