Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just searched and I didn't see a thread like this, hopefully i haven't missed it. I honestly thought there was another thread with this kind of title, if there is my mistake.

Just got a call from my buddy about the park that SDMBA has been talking about in mission trails. They were waiting on someone's approval(the main ranger?) and they finally got it...At least that's what I was told. So anyone else have any info???? Supposedly they are looking into money from the gov. and maybe help from certain business in the future? Don't wanna name any names cuz this is just the info I got over the phone from a friend. I really hope/can't wait until it does start up, it's gonna change the bike scene in so cal(in a good way) if we start getting bike parks everywhere!

·
Registered
614 Posts
still very much in the works

Thrillride said:
I just searched and I didn't see a thread like this, hopefully i haven't missed it. I honestly thought there was another thread with this kind of title, if there is my mistake.

Just got a call from my buddy about the park that SDMBA has been talking about in mission trails. They were waiting on someone's approval(the main ranger?) and they finally got it...At least that's what I was told. So anyone else have any info???? Supposedly they are looking into money from the gov. and maybe help from certain business in the future? Don't wanna name any names cuz this is just the info I got over the phone from a friend. I really hope/can't wait until it does start up, it's gonna change the bike scene in so cal(in a good way) if we start getting bike parks everywhere!
More steam than every behind this project and it is coming into the "make or break" phase.

The Rangers have listened and seemed to like what they heard.

In the near future there will be a meeting with the MTRP foundation to pitch the plan.

And yes, in the end money will be needed as well as labor.

What you can do now is share your enthusiasm with others who may be able to help with the project in the long run.

Mention to a friend to mention to a friend that this is "trying to get going".
Hopefully in the long run, we will not need signatures and a show of faces for all who want this. The plan has been laid out well, much of the details have been or are being polished and any city *should* be more than accepting of such a gem.

My best bet would be to stay tuned. More info (as far as "it is a go" or "still working out details") should be available by mid Jan.

As mentioned. Money is going to be needed and it isn't going to fall from the sky, so fundraisers are sure to come, in one form or another.
(Im not above holding a can and a sign and begging)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Getting Close

It is bad luck to count your chickens to soon but we are moving ahead alright.Speaking of fund raising, the showing of New World Disorder at the Ken was our first fund raiser and was a lot of fun. Of course having two kegs of free Belgium Beer didn't hurt. Don't miss the next one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm really make or break still?? I figure if this doesn't happen, then soon enough somewhere else close will open a park. San Diego is really getting bigger in the DH area of biking and with the evolution of the sport going as hard as it is right now I don't doubt a park coming at all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Site

Just me said:
The Deerfield BMX site off Mission Gorge on the western edge of the park.
It is an abandoned quarry so there is a natural bowl to the topograghy. Lots of natural lines leading to wall rides and elevation for beginning of jumps. There is an already built in picnic area with shade structures for hanging out and spectating. There are parking sites currently there and a water pump station that could supply water for keeping the park in perfect shape during the dry months. There are no inherent environmental issues connected to the site so odds are we can only improve on it's existing condition.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I would have taken a picture or something, but for those who were at la costa trail work day they had a drawn up plan of what the bike park will entail.

There should be multiple drops in one section, a pump track section, all jump sections
(beginner, intermediate and advanced) will have table top style jumps. There will be a skill section with skinny wooden structures and I think there was more too I just can't remember. The plans look freakin sweet, and I guess the city has already seen them and given a great response. It should be coming together very soon!!!

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
I don't have the model that Andy cleaned up, these are from my original concept.

This is only a concept, we will be solicitating Park user input for design ideas if our proposal is approved. As it stands today, the city has unofficially said they like our idea of a Skills Park (How could they not). Officially, the city has told us not to expect a penny, and not to expect any resources (Grading, City Engineering, water, etc.).

This means that if riders in San Diego want a Skills Park, they will have to pay. Not pay admission, pay to design, construct, and maintain 100% of the cost.

So, the question to all of you; Are you ready to help take this dream and turn it into a Skills Park?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pretty much, if you told me the place was open to go build by myself I would. I wish we didn't need money, to be honest I could see actual bikers setting up everything within a few years. If there is no admission, and the city has given us the land to build on, tell me when I can build and I'll be there with my shovel and 5 gallons of water.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Rush,

Had to do it in SketchUp due to lack of time. This is only a first draft concept. Your AutoCad will be used later. I'll be sending you more spec's. Your work is greatly appreciated and will be featured soon. Thanks Bro.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Calaverafreerider,

You asked what a Skills Park was. Do these 12' gaps work for you, or are they too pv$$y?

·
NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
357 Posts
i seriouslly wish i know how to use sketch up, i would definitely kill it on the designs.. nice on the drawings jay ! me and my friend zach "thrillride" saw the concept drawing at the "la costa" trail work this past weekend it looks very good.. i cant wait to see it happen

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.