Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've contacted a few shops looking for a rental, but thought it might be a good idea to hit this forum up. anyone got the goods on a shop?

i want to try riding the lake morena trail described on mountainbikebill.com on may 3, probably around 2 or 3 pm.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
THese guys rent I think

I'm not into Morena. Too many motorcycles. Too much fireroad, BIG road climb to the top if you wanna go hit the downhill run. It's a pretty nice run. Or if you park at the top and do the DH you gotta climb back to the car.
Cleveland National Forests need an Adventure pass. Many people don't believe in this pass becuase it's double taxation.
I like Big Laguna Trail and Noble Canyon which can be combined and about as close or closer than Morena.
All three of these place require the pass.

Rentals...
This place is in central san diego as far as north to south goes. Near the beach, near highway I8 and I5.
http://bicyclewarehouse.com/site/intro.cfm
This guy is twenty minutes north on I5 from I8.
http://www.leucadiabikes.com/index.php

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the OP goes on a weekday, then motorcycles most likely won't be an issue. There's a number of ways up to four corners besides the paved road (and not just fireroad, either). And what's wrong with climbing to earn your fun?

Finally, screw the Adventure Pass. It's a scam and the "tickets" have no teeth (they're merely "Notices of Noncompliance"). Also, Morena has never "enforced" the Adventure Pass thing when I've been there, whereas I have a nice little collection of the Notices from Noble.

Bill from SD (not MTB BILL, darn it)

noslogan said:
I'm not into Morena. Too many motorcycles. Too much fireroad, BIG road climb to the top if you wanna go hit the downhill run. It's a pretty nice run. Or if you park at the top and do the DH you gotta climb back to the car.
Cleveland National Forests need an Adventure pass. Many people don't believe in this pass becuase it's double taxation.
I like Big Laguna Trail and Noble Canyon which can be combined and about as close or closer than Morena.
All three of these place require the pass.

Rentals...
This place is in central san diego as far as north to south goes. Near the beach, near highway I8 and I5.
http://bicyclewarehouse.com/site/intro.cfm
This guy is twenty minutes north on I5 from I8.
http://www.leucadiabikes.com/index.php

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
as Bill said

there are some options to climb ST rather than road up to four corners. the bonus being there's a very fun DH for 3 miles or so.

I've never had too much of a problem with the motorcycles out there. the problem is teh "maintenance" that they do on Wrangler every year essentially making it smoother and smoother.

the route Bill Porter describes is the preferred way to get the most ST bang and the least amount of roadieing.

YR

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips.

i was thinking lake morena for the scenery. plus, i haven't done much riding since last year around thanksgiving. in my section of ohio, we have mud until about june. although i did get a 16 miler in a few weekends ago, with out too much trouble. anyway, lake morena seemed more along my intermediate skill level, and offered some good photo ops.

i checked with the bicycle warehouse, and they don't rent. i'll check the other link today.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If we knew what day....

maybe someone would take you on a tour and have a spare rig.
skeeter said:
thanks for the tips.

i was thinking lake morena for the scenery. plus, i haven't done much riding since last year around thanksgiving. in my section of ohio, we have mud until about june. although i did get a 16 miler in a few weekends ago, with out too much trouble. anyway, lake morena seemed more along my intermediate skill level, and offered some good photo ops.

i checked with the bicycle warehouse, and they don't rent. i'll check the other link today.

thanks again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's tucked in the original post, but it's may 3, definitely. my flight gets in at 11:20, and i'll haul a$$ after that. hopefully getting to the trailhead between 2 and 3. i'm relatively familiar with the roads, since this is my 4 or 5th trip. i think i may be hooked up with a rig rental, but if someone has a loaner, dinner is on me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.