Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My after work rides tend to be WaterDog, SugarLoaf and Pacifica. San Bruno Mtn is nearby... from what I find online, not really worth the time?

Is it at least worth a visit? If so, I'll add it to the rotation. Any feedback and loop recommendations appreciated!

·
Professional Troll
2,666 Posts
They are very mellow trails, you can ride a gravel bike on it. And none of them are really bike-legal per say. But fun for city riding nonetheless.

Waterdog and sugarloaf would be considered better for sure. Plus the weather at San Bruno generally sucks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Hrznrider,
After living in the the Bay Area for 25 yrs, last year I caught up with a friend from SF who just wanted to get the cobwebs off as I did as well [he rides enduro, downhill on the regular], so we rode Mt Bruno on a weekend-a first for both of us. Mt Bruno is mixed use access road type trails. Which means parents with strollers, groups of aunties, and kids on push bikes are the majority. we found a side trail down the hill, only bikers. and it was fine. That was my experience on a weekend. if you ride it early on a week day it may fit your your need. but likely not AFTER work. maybe before work? and you have to pay for parking at the trailhead.

As a mellow XC trail rider myself, I have ridden trails in Pacifica and Waterdog. So I my understand your goal. Main thing is you have to time the rides with low hiker traffic. i am not sure of Sugarloaf. I remember the ski run in Maine. But I dont know the Bay Area Sugarloaf trail.

Not sure how north or south you are. Check out... Calero Park near San Jose or Arastratero Park [pearson arastradero may be official name] in Palo Alto may be of interest to you... for decent workout runs after work. nothing technical but very decent trails. I live closest to Waterdog, but it is limited and i guess boring to me. though I am not fast, but seems overly dry and when its just a bummer. Arastraero had more options with many trials variations. Yes there are also hikers there but everyone is considerate. friendly bikers and hikers in my experience. I just go for cardio.

disclaimer: I am slow AF, but love great trails, just love pedaling and looking at the landscape. I let the strava folks blow by me...you can tell.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the input. I'll give it a go at some point just to check out.

Yes, the weather does seem cold and windy a lot of times as I cross over into Daly City.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used to work there and it is a little hidden gem of a park.
And yes strictly speaking, there is no bike-legal single track in the park.
Having said that, the Guadalupe Canyon loop is short and sweet- excellent for someone new to riding on dirt.
It has short punchy little climbs/descents, some off-camber ruts, bumps, lumps, etc. and some great views of San Francisco along the way.

The road to the radio towers is paved, but the climb to the top is a good chuff.
The views can be well worth the effort, fog pending.
But then at the top, the Ridge Trail, which actually an unpaved access road is ridiculously signed 'No Bikes'!?!?
Sigh

However, overall I would recommend it to any novice rider, or as a great hiking destination.

Parking is $6, and there are restrooms, drinking fountains, and picnic tables with bbq pits.

It can be very windy/foggy/chilly.
It can also be clear/warm/sunny.
And it can be both in 1/2 an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts