Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been pushing north, looking for new winter tidbits, and've hit a few in rapid succession lately: South Seatac, Grand Ridge, Wallace Falls, Cranberry Lake. Most of what remains I've done or is already on my list, but I'm still curious about the following:

Edwards/Big Finn
Willows Fjords
Carey Creek
Gibs Lake (Pt. Townsend)
Lord Hill

The first and last will be familiar to most, I'm sure, but what about those others? Comments? Ride times?

Is the new MF Snolquamie winterable, open -- PC at this time of year?

After these, I'll probably have to start scouting for whatever super-secret-stash-in-the-woods exists between Seattle and Bellingham; there has to be one (or more). Or go for a third attempt to piece together LP's somewhat clandestine MGRC project. I didn't want to mention this but she just ignored my more discrete email. All I wanted to verify was which side of the river to keep looking -- east, right? :-|

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
MF trail is closed to bikes till spring. Ed's isn't worth the drive from Tacoma. Metcalf Trust and FT Ebey on Whidbey. I heard there's some trails at Gibs lake ( on the way to Port Townsend).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave_schuldt said:
MF trail is closed to bikes till spring. Ed's isn't worth the drive from Tacoma. Metcalf Trust and FT Ebey on Whidbey. I heard there's some trails at Gibs lake ( on the way to Port Townsend).
Boy, it seems like nobody's been to Carey Creek or Willows Fjords except Santo Criscuolo (this is my second post now), or will say anything about MGR. Thanks for the info on MFS and the tip on Gibs too. I guess I should add the latter to the list above as well, to see if anyone knows more about it.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Ed's/Big Finn would be a waste of time for your drive. that being said, it IS the place where most people learn to mountain bike and I'd ride there after work and for quickies if I leved near there.

Willows: Only a couple good ways up and some fun but short ways down. Good after work cardio training spot. Not very big and you can ride it al in a bit over an hour. but, some sections make you forget where you are and have an "in the woods flavor". Lots of side hill stuff and steep up and downs. Another place that you need to ride the "right" way to get the best out of it.

Carey Creek: Never been there and don't know anyone who rides there. So, that may say something. It's in a book now, don't know why... Filler?

Lord Hill: An diamond in the rough. Plenty of trails not on the map and they've added 220 acres to the South end of the property with a few more trails. The ride down to the river is fun but a real grunt back up. Side trip to the top of the dome worth it. Stash the bike on a short hiker trail and hike up to the high point on this old volcano core. great evening view of Seattle and Rainier. Not much that's flat. It's either up or down and a good work out. Hard to find user built trail off the main line and the horses can beat the trails pretty bad during the wet months. September-October are best. Hoping to have 3 new legal trails in there by next summer. Probably not worth the drive from the south unless you tack on Wallace to the trip.

Note that Santo's Tokul page is woefully inaccurate and is missing several other trails. And, Tokul east is not noted there either.
Armstrong Tract and Victoria Tract are both worth the drive. However, Victoria is closed from November 1 until May 1. And, the trail names for both are completely wrong and made up by the trail guide writer. So, they won't match up with signage out in the field that was posted by the builders. (Same with Tokul.)

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
BTW: I know lots of people who ride Willows. Just a local spot that's been there for several years now.
It's tough, That's why it doesn't get the intermediate riders masses like other places.
Santo went there 'cuz he needed to add another place that Zilly hadn't yet.

What's MGR? (Middle Green River?) Bunch of trails down there too. And, those are not in any guidebook yet either.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borneo said:
BTW: I know lots of people who ride Willows. Just a local spot that's been there for several years now.
It's tough, That's why it doesn't get the intermediate riders masses like other places.
Santo went there 'cuz he needed to add another place that Zilly hadn't yet.

What's MGR? (Middle Green River?) Bunch of trails down there too. And, those are not in any guidebook yet either.
THANKS! I've done the Pilchuck stuff, probably won't repeat. I've been to Tokul three times and was under lights -- and sideways rain -- trying to find my way back to truck on each occasion. Worth another visit for sure; I'd love to see a good map though (Tolt would be another happy repeat).

Lord Hill -- Ok -- it's on the list now.

Carey and Willows; you're probably right, although the latter might be good to help nurse an old partner back into shape. He salivates for new stuff, like me, and challenging bits, low mileage, and 'in the woods' would suit perfectly.

That's 2 no-votes now for Ed/Big Finn. Too bad I didn't know about this a couple weeks ago when my kid was in a soccer tournament across the street. It woulda been a good way to kill some time and check the box (better 'n freezin' my ass off in the grandstand between games!).

Oh, well. Thanks for all the good info! :-]

·
Registered
605 Posts
SRR - you want to do Willows sometime, just let me know and I'll see if I can't hook up with you. Its one of those areas that needs at least a day or more of dry weather to drain out before you head in there.

If you ever get your mitts on a good map of Tokul, I'd be interested in it as well. The map I have is several years out of date and doesn't have any trail names on it.

Ever think of heading south to Longview & Castle Rock? There's some real fun trail systems down there as well.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Don't get me wrong. Ed's would have been fun to kill a couple hours while your kid was playing soccer. but, it is what it is, an in-town local place to ride. I don't bother because I wold have to drive past better places to get there. But, I'd ride it a lot if I lived next door.

JRA you outta know there's a new Tokul map being worked on. Plus you should already know you're way around there enough. The [email protected] map in Santos' book barely scratches the surface and all the trail names are wrong.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
While we're bantering about Tokul.....

Hey Borneo what's the deal with the MS ride being cancelled. What's the real story of it's demise?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Borneo said:
JRA you outta know there's a new Tokul map being worked on. Plus you should already know you're way around there enough.
No, I didn't know that. I haven't been out there in awhile and if finding the new trails goes anything like finding the new trails out at Griffin, then I won't be able to find them unless I'm with someone who knows where the new trails are.

It sounded like trail names had been added out in the woods. The names I know some of the trails by may not be the same thing that's on the ground. That's what got me to asking about a new Tokul map.

Besides, you outta know that I have a fondness for trailmaps. :p

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Down and dirty?
The land manager did not want to play ball.

The great folks at MS did not want to force their hand. So, they walked away from it.
I so wanted to make that one phone call to King5 too. Shutting out a charity like that....

Several options were kicked around and starting over at another location (none of which would really work for all the folks who signed up and were reasonably close to greater Seattle) would logistically really tax the local chapter too.
So, they decided to cut it.

Sucks. Freakin' Hancock.... :mad:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JRA said:
SRR - you want to do Willows sometime, just let me know and I'll see if I can't hook up with you. Its one of those areas that needs at least a day or more of dry weather to drain out before you head in there.
Yeah, I'd be interested. I don't know whether I care if it's dry or not though; I'm resigned at this point. In fact, I just got back from a steady rain ramble through the woods and can hardly believe what a difference a few degrees can make, even soaked all the way through! :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Carey creek

I have been riding at Carey creek for 10yrs+, a few trails, muddy and wet this time of year. The ponnies really tear up the trail and make it a mud fest. One of the access points from the Seattle watershed side is posted no mountain bikes access so use the hwy 18 side or even Tiger mountain summit parking lot and cross the hwy. The area as a whole is either logging roads or horse trails so most mountain bikers do not ride this area due to the 1000lb walking rototillers making the trails into a continous trials section.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sven Trials said:
I have been riding at Carey creek for 10yrs+, a few trails, muddy and wet this time of year. The ponnies really tear up the trail and make it a mud fest. One of the access points from the Seattle watershed side is posted no mountain bikes access so use the hwy 18 side or even Tiger mountain summit parking lot and cross the hwy. The area as a whole is either logging roads or horse trails so most mountain bikers do not ride this area due to the 1000lb walking rototillers making the trails into a continous trials section.
Good info, thanks! If you've been riding there that long, it's gotta be worth a visit. :-]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.