Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been recently more and more bogged by ppl telling contradicting things about their riding position and now even when I try to analaze them I end up with nothing.
Can any1 summarize the differances between them in riding styles? Mostly weight positioning but any more insight would be good.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
norbar said:
I've been recently more and more bogged by ppl telling contradicting things about their riding position and now even when I try to analaze them I end up with nothing.
Can any1 summarize the differances between them in riding styles? Mostly weight positioning but any more insight would be good.
Watch their runs on freecaster.tv and decide from there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
SAm has more of a Moto style and Gee is more of a typical Dh racer. The thing that makes Sam different is that he was trained by a women here in California. Im blanking on the name, but all I know is that she trained him how to corner and turn better than anyone else(until he fell in WC champs).

·
外国人
412 Posts
^what he said. sam hill in the early point of his career was notorious for crashing all the time because of the speed and the lines he took but now i think he mellowed and uses relatively "safe" lines/speeds

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Everyone has there own style, take what works for you from the top guys and what ya learn at clinics etc and incorporate into your own style!
There's always techniques, ways of doing things but not all works for everyone, imo DH is a learning curve ya have to ride ride ride, get to know tracks, ya bike, setup, suspension etc.

Also Sams and Gee's bikes are quite different to ours so the oil is, so that also effects there style, so my issue of DIRT informs me, so don't hold me to it, but apparently the BB WB HAs are allot lower longer slacker than production, Gee coments in issue 74 that theres no way he can ride the stock bike the same way as his Factory bike, so take that for what its worth.

Then go practice, practice practice, more experience the better, note how long its taken for Gee and Sam to get to the Top, they were good to begin with but its taken 3-4years hard yacker, thats what makes them who they are!

There is no short cuts, just my observations:thumbsup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
norbar said:
Lately I've become the number one Sam Hill fan, so I've been watching him a lot.

Obviously compared to other riders he has a more forward position. As a result he looks like he has more upper body and core strength than anyone else... which if you try to mimic his postion, it's not easy to do. You quickly fatigue your arms and shoulders. It takes a ton of strength to hold yourself over the front end and do the little precision movements it takes to slide and counter steer.

He also looks like his body never moves. He is much more solid over G outs and rocky sections. If you want to see extremes, compare him to a pro chick racer. The Chick looks like she's getting whip lash while Sam looks like he's riding on pavement. Once again Sam is just stronger.

Also sometimes he rides in goofy knees wide position. This is something you have to try for yourself to really figure out. But when you do, you can lean the bike with less movement of your body.

...For example If your knees are in, to lean the bike you have to move your knees to the side to make room for you seat. If you ride like HIll, the knees are already out of the way, so all you have to do is move your arms and shoulders and you're leaned over. The end result is that Hill can lean the bike and fourth a little faster by doing this. Also when you ride with knees wide, it's a little easier to catch the bike in the drift. ...but I'm not going to give my explanation for this. Just try it for a while.

There's more, but I'll others to speculate rather than me :thumbsup:

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Alloy said:
Obviously compared to other riders he has a more forward position. As a result he looks like he has more upper body and core strength than anyone else... which if you try to mimic his postion, it's not easy to do. You quickly fatigue your arms and shoulders. It takes a ton of strength to hold yourself over the front end and do the little precision movements it takes to slide and counter steer.

He also looks like his body never moves. He is much more solid over G outs and rocky sections. If you want to see extremes, compare him to a pro chick racer. The Chick looks like she's getting whip lash while Sam looks like he's riding on pavement. Once again Sam is just stronger.

Also sometimes he rides in goofy knees wide position. This is something you have to try for yourself to really figure out. But when you do, you can lean the bike with less movement of your body.

...For example If your knees are in, to lean the bike you have to move your knees to the side to make room for you seat. If you ride like HIll, the knees are already out of the way, so all you have to do is move your arms and shoulders and you're leaned over. The end result is that Hill can lean the bike and fourth a little faster by doing this. Also when you ride with knees wide, it's a little easier to catch the bike in the drift. ...but I'm not going to give my explanation for this. Just try it for a while.

There's more, but I'll others to speculate rather than me :thumbsup:
Hill NORMALLY has a way more forward position (or centered at least) in all the WC's, but watch his positioning for his World's run. He's WAY back from normal. It could be the pitch of the track, but I think it's just some extra security for the fact that he's laying it all out.

His saddle height/angle changes from race to race I think too, and depends a lot on the pitch of the track.

Every time I see his form I think "he must ride a ton of moto in his off-season". I've actually heard from various places that he hardly touches his DH bike except for races and that he's mostly on an XC bike of some kind and a dirt bike.

Another big thing I've noticed between Sam's/Gee's form is elbow and knee positioning as well. Gee stays elbows (generally) a bit more inwards and his knees seem to always be gripping the saddle. Sam is opposite. He seems to have his elbows along the same plane of the bar sweep and toes cocked a tiny bit outwards. If you want to see total bassackwardsnees, watch Nico Vink ride sometime. Elbows WAY out, toes/knees WAY in. I think part of it is that Gee tends to ride very very low and tucked in (probably because he's taller) and Sam looks like he's very extended most of the time.

I think most of it is the ergonomics coming from the height difference.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
i am just going to say... i have an aggressive style, and i put my weight realy far back even when ridding to the trails, i havent reasontly bottem my forks but i bottem my shock nearly ever time i do a jump more then 1ft, thats with max compression and right spring, just saying if it helps.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
bxxer rider said:
i am just going to say... i have an aggressive style, and i put my weight realy far back even when ridding to the trails, i havent reasontly bottem my forks but i bottem my shock nearly ever time i do a jump more then 1ft, thats with max compression and right spring, just saying if it helps.

Btw if you are bottoming out that often you DON'T have the right spring....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
i read down abit and mis understood what other people were saying what peoples ridding styles where like, im just going to so out on my bike now :thumbsup: (just ignor the other posts so far from me :p )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.