Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
fresnoDJkid said:
how many of you guys think that sam hill is going to win the next UCI WORLD CUP DH RACE?
As good as Gee and Minnaar are riding, Sam's still anyone's favorite to win a race. The last race he was crushing it til his fall. By far the greatest talent and maybe a little more caution will equal a win very soon.

·
Enforcer
380 Posts
When his contact expires I think he will get snapped up real quick by a big company like trek. Sam has no reason to stay with ironhorse (especially now that they will be producing walmart bikes) and Trek has just spent a huge amount of money and they have no good gravity riders. A guy like Sam Hill could change that.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
kamikazee ideki said:
When his contact expires I think he will get snapped up real quick by a big company like trek. Sam has no reason to stay with ironhorse (especially now that they will be producing walmart bikes) and Trek has just spent a huge amount of money and they have no good gravity riders. A guy like Sam Hill could change that.
I'd argue Andrew Shandro and Cam McCaul are damn good gravity riders, but they don't race world cups if that's what you mean.

But yeah, a company with bucks like Trek or Giant has the best shot to land him.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
DH racing is nearly unknown in the US. 99% of Americans have no idea who Steve Peat or Sam Hill are. But a decent percentage of high school teens have heard of Darren Barreclothe and Cam McCaul. I just don't know if it's worth it for an American company who mainly sells bikes in the US (a la Trek) to pay 6 digits plus all the race support for a Sam Hill. Slopestyle and other x-games-type events might bring in more young riders and offer better brand exposure than a DH rider, even if he's the greatest DH rider ever.

·
Registered
611 Posts
DH racing is nearly unknown in the US. 99% of Americans have no idea who Steve Peat or Sam Hill are...

But some (I hope so!!! You are so many! :p) don`t know some "well know" (well... I thought people would know personalities like Fidel... but no!) personalties:

AHHAHA:
Iran/paquistan... Korea... Brasil Love that Man!

So you can`t blame people (even "MTB people" not knowing Steve Peat / Sam Hill! :cool:
:yesnod:

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
DH racing is nearly unknown in the US. 99% of Americans have no idea who Steve Peat or Sam Hill are. But a decent percentage of high school teens have heard of Darren Barreclothe and Cam McCaul. I just don't know if it's worth it for an American company who mainly sells bikes in the US (a la Trek) to pay 6 digits plus all the race support for a Sam Hill. Slopestyle and other x-games-type events might bring in more young riders and offer better brand exposure than a DH rider, even if he's the greatest DH rider ever.
Unfortunately Aussie racers don't seem to get the Royalty treatment like US counterparts. I'd doubt if Sam gets a 6 figure salary at the moment - well from IH alone anyway.

However in Trek's regard (or any other bike company) I'm sure they already must realize that signing Sam Hill on to ride their bike would be a huge boost to the brand particularly in Australia. Yeah heps of people ride Giant DH bikes here because Giant offers the best value for money, but you can't doubt that without Sam there wouldn't be anywhere near as many people riding (or at least considering) Iron Horse. Remember that prior to his days it was merely slightly better than a "wallmart" brand, it would have taken a lot to turn them around to where they are now (in Aus), and a fair bit of that would be thanks to Mr Hill.

Just the speculation that Sam might be going to Trek, I've seen people already buzzing on forums and saying how good the Trek bikes are - particularly the new DH bike. If he does change bikes any time in the future, it will certainly be very interesting to watch the mass migration from IH. And reading "x bike is so good" raves from the school kids.

Nothing wrong with that, people do idolize Sam or see him as a role model and it's unfortunate that some people or companies don't seem to realize the impact he has or can have.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ducktape said:
Unfortunately Aussie racers don't seem to get the Royalty treatment like US counterparts. I'd doubt if Sam gets a 6 figure salary at the moment - well from IH alone anyway.

However in Trek's regard (or any other bike company) I'm sure they already must realize that signing Sam Hill on to ride their bike would be a huge boost to the brand particularly in Australia. Yeah heps of people ride Giant DH bikes here because Giant offers the best value for money, but you can't doubt that without Sam there wouldn't be anywhere near as many people riding (or at least considering) Iron Horse. Remember that prior to his days it was merely slightly better than a "wallmart" brand, it would have taken a lot to turn them around to where they are now (in Aus), and a fair bit of that would be thanks to Mr Hill.

Just the speculation that Sam might be going to Trek, I've seen people already buzzing on forums and saying how good the Trek bikes are - particularly the new DH bike. If he does change bikes any time in the future, it will certainly be very interesting to watch the mass migration from IH. And reading "x bike is so good" raves from the school kids.

Nothing wrong with that, people do idolize Sam or see him as a role model and it's unfortunate that some people or companies don't seem to realize the impact he has or can have.
i believe he is with the horse thru 09?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
ducktape said:
All I know is that there is a bit of speculation going on in regards to that. Guess only time will tell.
To comment on the previous post my dear Nathan Rennie is the one that brought IH to the podium, yes they were team mates. :ihih: :D

http://www.nathanrennie.com/mybikes.htm

Heard some rumors about SH sticking with DW and his new buy into a independent frame company. :crazy:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sam's a incredible rider but, some of you are forgetting aentire team of amazing other riders who will soon be displaced as well quite possibly.

Fairclough, Cunningham, Jonnier (sorry if ive miss-spelled some of their names)

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
The new Glory looks like it would suit SH...

My mistake Dogonfr, credit to Rennie where it's due, and yes of course there are many more DH riders that should get more credit for thier efforts or contribution to the sport. I'll admit that I haven't actually followed the sport much at all in the past, only taken more interest this year really, so when it comes down to it, I probably know **** all.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
ducktape said:
My mistake Dogonfr, credit to Rennie where it's due, and yes of course there are many more DH riders that should get more credit for thier efforts or contribution to the sport. I'll admit that I haven't actually followed the sport much at all in the past, only taken more interest this year really, so when it comes down to it, I probably know **** all.
What's that? Humility in an internet forum? That has no place here. Please boast more and insist you are right.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.