Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a ticket to go to deer valley. I booked it from Sunday to Wednesday, but Deer Valley is only open on weekends now. Do you know any other lift/shuttle service near Salt Lake? Or would you recommend any trip nearby or just good trails?

I am not a climber so I would really prefer some short straight climbs with good descends (if something like that even exists). Pump tracks are welcomed too. Or some bike park with jumps maybe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Hi, I bought a ticket to go to deer valley. I booked it from Sunday to Wednesday, but Deer Valley is only open on weekends now. Do you know any other lift/shuttle service near Salt Lake? Or would you recommend any trip nearby or just good trails?

I am not a climber so I would really prefer some short straight climbs with good descends (if something like that even exists). Pump tracks are welcomed too. Or some bike park with jumps maybe.

Thanks!
Which Sunday to Wednesday? Deer Valley is open daily until Sept 2.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can grab a Wasatch Crest Shuttle from Salt Lake on even numbered days. One of the classic rides in the area. That'll give you about a 25 mile ride with around 1000 ft of climbing and 5000 ft of descent. Just google Big Rack Shuttles for info.

You can also check about Snowbird's schedule for the Tram/Big Mountain Trail. I think they may still be operating during your visit, but not sure.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I feel like all recommendations for the Crest need to make it clear: this is not a DH/freeride/flow trail. It can't be treated like trails in a resort. Sure, its a shuttle so its mostly downhill. it is a beautiful and scenic and fun trail. It is also a multi-user/multi directional trail with lots of traffic. Especially the Big Water section in Millcreek - not a good place to rail corners in your full face helmet and armor. Last night I saw walkers ( 2 with babies) , runners, dogs and other bikers. The people going downhill were stopping a lot to yield to other users. Not that you shouldn't do the ride, just make sure you have the right expectations.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi, I bought a ticket to go to deer valley.
I assume this means plane ticket? Will you have a car?

You can ride the PC bus system for free (with your bike) to Silver Lake Village or the Empire Lodge. Quite a few good descents from there off Mid-Mountain trail with no or minimal climbing. IIRC, at some point they stop running the bus to those spots, so best to check the current bus schedule first. Assuming it's running, the PC bus system is great.

Go to Trailside bike park for sure. PC dirt jumps by the fire station are cool, but kinda need a proper DJ bike.

If you have a car:

1. Driving to Snowbird to make a few laps on the BMT would be worth doing.

2. An aforementioned Crest shuttle would also be a good thing to do, though there is about 1k of climbing at elevation and the exit out Pipeline isn't super exciting. Classic ride for sure though.

3. I Street dirt jumps are world-class (above the Avenues neighborhood north of the U, location is on Trailforks). 100% gaps/doubles, FYI, but most of the lines look burlier than they actually are. This is my 9 y.o's favorite place to ride. Same area as the infamous uber-classic Bobsled trail, which can be done with about 1k of climbing.

4. Draper Cycle Park has some good dirt jumps. If you parked at the bottom of the Maple Hollow DH trail you could probably hitchhike to the top pretty easily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume this means plane ticket? Will you have a car?...
Yes I will have a car. Thanks for all the suggestions I will definitely check it out. I Street dirt jumps looks pretty cool and it is really close. That would be nice to do on the day I am leave with the limited time I will have.

THANKS ALL FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! Much appreciated

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can ride the PC bus system for free (with your bike) to Silver Lake Village or the Empire Lodge. Quite a few good descents from there off Mid-Mountain trail with no or minimal climbing. IIRC, at some point they stop running the bus to those spots, so best to check the current bus schedule first. Assuming it's running, the PC bus system is great.
Unfortunately, most of those bus routes stop around Labor Day, the same time that the lifts go to weekend only service. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far I am thinking
Sunday - Deer Valley -> transfer to Moab
Monday - Ride in Moab (probably shuttle to porcupine rim) -> back to SLC
Tuesday - Hit some local trails, I like I Street dirt jumps, Levitate and Vertigo trails and others.

Not 100% sure about the Moab trip, but it looks awesome!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not 100% sure about the Moab trip, but it looks awesome!
Moab trip is totally worth it! (to me)
I do day trips regularly from SLC to ride Moab.

Most shuttle companies stop shuttling to Porcupine once TWE opens up, which just happened about a week ago, so you may have some challenge finding a shuttle only to Porcupine (UPS or LPS)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moab is going to be toasty, but if you've never been it is pretty mind blowing. Just be sure to take a lot of water and catch an early shuttle. Keep in mind that despite the vertical differential, The Whole Enchilada is pedally (about 2000 ft of climbing in total if you start at Burro). TWE is epic to be sure, but that's a lot of driving to go down and back just for one ride. If you're going to head down there, might as well stay Monday night and get another early morning ride in Moab before it heats up (Hymasa-Ahab and Navajo Rocks are two great choices depending on how techy you want it), then drive back up after that.

If you don't head down to Moab, I definitely recommend doing the Crest while you're here as your substitute for the Moab leg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moab trip is totally worth it! (to me)
I do day trips regularly from SLC to ride Moab.

Most shuttle companies stop shuttling to Porcupine once TWE opens up, which just happened about a week ago, so you may have some challenge finding a shuttle only to Porcupine (UPS or LPS)
Eeeh.. What is TWE?

I saw one shuttle company and I looked at their calendar. They seem to be doing shuttles every day at 730 and 10am. Should I message them and make sure that is correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moab is going to be toasty...

If you don't head down to Moab, I definitely recommend doing the Crest while you're here as your substitute for the Moab leg.
I am from florida, I live in toasty :D and the humidity here... bleh.. I am actually looking forward to some normal dry heat.

Thatbks for the other suggestions. I was looking at Crest too.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I am actually bringing my Canyon Strive
That's your short travel rig?
;)
I'm thinking you should go right to Moab and spend a couple of days there!
TWE and Mag7 are practically made for that bike, and they are shuttled, so you don't have to drag it up hill. At the very least you may consider day 1 in Moab and then decide if DV-Park City-SLC are worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love it up here, but I also like 3000 foot climbs.
As to the heat, you're certainly acclimated, but be aware that sweat evaporates so quickly, you may not realize how fast you dehydrate in a place like Moab. And, with dry air, the amount of IR from the sun is off the scale. It won't be a major problem, just something to consider.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Eeeh.. What is TWE?

I saw one shuttle company and I looked at their calendar. They seem to be doing shuttles every day at 730 and 10am. Should I message them and make sure that is correct?
TWE = The Whole Enchilada

And temps can be a bit hit and miss the time you are going to be here. 9/15 is honestly prime time for TWE riding. Will be cool up top in the am and warm down low, but probably past the 100+ daytime temps by then, so maybe coming down into high 80's to mid 90's.
I suspect those shuttles are referring to Enchilada shuttles, not Porcupine, but could be wrong, maybe some still shuttle Porcupine then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.