Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the weather is getting hot in socal some mountain area is getting 100 degree, basically I'm riding 3-4 hours and I sweat a lot .

my question is
1. do you need increase salt intake ?
2. whats the amount you need increase ? by body weight ?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
ppp2520 said:
the weather is getting hot in socal some mountain area is getting 100 degree, basically I'm riding 3-4 hours and I sweat a lot .

my question is
Yes the hotter it is the more salt you need...

Sometimes I have to start salting my food on the plate....

Course I ride up in the cold north.

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
I know what you mean; I didn't expect the heat last weekend and got caught out on a long climbing ride in the San Diego mountains.

Endurolites work for me; I take 1 per 50pounds body weight before I start a ride and another 2 per hour while riding. You need to seriously increase your fluid intake from normal too, probably double. 120oz on a five hour ride just wasn't enough for me in 90F, humid weather.

·
A guy on a bike
999 Posts
I've been experimenting a lot with electrolytes and hydration this year in preparation for the Colorado Trail Race.

I've found that for hard, long (3+ hours), hot (80+ degrees), rides, I need to consume about 1 to 1.5 liters/hour of water. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I sweat a fair bit, and Colorado is pretty dry and high, so I also lose moisture while breathing. If I need to pee more than every hour or two, I'm probably drinking too much. If I haven't peed in three hours, I'm probably not drinking enough.

When I add electrolytes to my water (Nuun tablets), I seem to feel less wasted at the end of the day. I also seem to perk up a more quickly when I do get dehydrated. Curiously, when I don't use Nuun, I seem to pee more while riding--and then I'm then thirsty all evening. When using Nuun, I pee less often while riding, but I'm not so thirsty in the evening.

I recommend that you try adding Nuun at the dose that's indicated on the package. Drink when you're thirsty, and watch your urine output. See how it goes, and adjust as necessary. Experimentation is good.

FYI, I don't work for Nuun, nor am I sponsored. I just starting using their stuff and it seems to help.

You can also find a lot of good information on this subject on the Internet. There's been lots of solid research, and not much disagreement between reputable studies.

Good luck in your quest. Riding in the heat can be dangerous, even with a perfect hydration plan, so listen to your body and bail out if things aren't going well. When it comes to hydration, "toughing it out" is not going to make you tougher!

·
Registered
252 Posts
ppp2520 said:

my question is
Probably a bit more than 3 or 4 hours, but in preparation for the 2010 24HRs of Adrenalin World Solo 24HR Champs in Australia, there are a series of articles on diet, nutrition and hydration in the regular newsletters leading up to the champs.

These newsletters are archived and available here. Editions 7, 8 and 9 contain the best articles. They are written by Jennii English, a sports dietician, who is also the wife of the current World and Australian Solo 24Hr Champ Jason English. Listening to her advice seems to work OK for him :)

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
TobyGadd said:
Riding in the heat can be dangerous, even with a perfect hydration plan, so listen to your body and bail out if things aren't going well. When it comes to hydration, "toughing it out" is not going to make you tougher!
What he said! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I've been using the Nuun tablets for a few months so far with good results. Mix it with whatever I am drinking, be it water or Heed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts