Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.... looking for some info on the salt flats and hoping someone here could help me out. i'm heading down to moab for a week in march and have been thinking about swinging by the salt flats on my way. i'm not really interested in seeing the racing or anything like that which goes on there... just the vastness of the place. have any of you been there in march? is it worth going in march, or is this a place better saved for a time later in year? I'm a little worried about getting there while it's raining or shortly after and not being able to really get out on the salt.

thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are usually still getting snow in March, then the rain will kick in for a bit. You can go out on the flats when it is damp, but it will make a mess of your vehicle. They may even look dry, but there will be shallow puddles that are hard to see. I've gone 184 in a street car out there when it's dry! Fun stuff!

·
dedicated beater
168 Posts
Another great way to experience the flats is from above in the Silver Island Mountains. The area is remote and the trails are not well-traveled (if you can find them), but they are fun to ride in an "out-there adventure" sort of way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. it'd be about 3 hours of of the way in order to check this area out, is it worth it in march? not too concerned about the vehicle, there has to be a carwash in wendover, right? i figure if i get the salt off that day it won't be that big of a deal...

any info on where to find trailheads in the silver island mountains?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Depending on the weather you could get in a ride on Stansbury Island, which is on the edge of the Great Salt Lake, and you can see the sale flats from there. Its a kind of cool, hour loop with great views. Even on foot it would be cool, and it's closer to SLC by a half hour.

There's a good chance that if you visit the salt flats you will get muddy, salty clown shoes as soon as you set foot on it and wonder why you drove into the middle of nowhere just to look at an endles sea of white nothingness.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depending on the weather you could get in a ride on Stansbury Island, which is on the edge of the Great Salt Lake, and you can see the sale flats from there. Its a kind of cool, hour loop with great views. Even on foot it would be cool, and it's closer to SLC by a half hour.

There's a good chance that if you visit the salt flats you will get muddy, salty clown shoes as soon as you set foot on it and wonder why you drove into the middle of nowhere just to look at an endles sea of white nothingness.
+1 for Stansbury Island

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.