Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about posting this in the Salsa forum but if you don't own a Salsa or interested in Salsa you don't check there very much.

Last Saturday, 6-28, I was riding the Pinhoti trail sections 1-4 (north GA) with a friend and on the way back I snapped the weld on the dropout on the brake side chainstay of my Dos Niner (see picture below). Well, I contacted Jason Boucher at Salsa on Monday and sent him a couple pictures and details on my purchase, etc. No kidding but on Thursday I was advised that my replacement frame is en route.

If you're not getting superior customer service from your bike manufacturer, then you might consider changing! I've heard great stuff about Salsa before, but this exceeds my expectations.

Thanks again to Jason and his team!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(btw, Salsa has a new 4" travel bike coming out in September...the Big Mama).

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
You're kidding, right?

I can't believe this, don't you know that you are supposed to post a rant about your frame breaking with no photos first. Then several folks pile on and it becomes lunch time fodder for cubicle-rats all over North America.

Then you post up a pic, all the online brainiacs do exhaustive weld analysis based upon your pixilated photo.

Then more ranting about how the company in question sucks and what not.

Finally, we never hear the end of the story, how you got a new replacement frame, or if we do, the end result is that all the negative posting finally made this company do the right thing.

Several folks swear off said brand forever based upon the threads contents.

You should be ashamed of yourself, you have deprived this online community of a potentially entertaining and mind numbingly inane thread.

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

The above is all in jest!

Glad your situation was resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine broke at the same exact spot on 6/25, and Salsa took care of me as well, I got a new '08 frame within a few days, the new frame now has a brace at that weld point for added strength.
All around, the new DosNiner feels more like a hard tail, less flexy and more predictable in high speed turns...

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
namezk said:
Mine broke at the same exact spot on 6/25, and Salsa took care of me as well, I got a new '08 frame within a few days, the new frame now has a brace at that weld point for added strength.
All around, the new DosNiner feels more like a hard tail, less flexy and more predictable in high speed turns...
You guys are scaring me. My Dos is on its third season for XC racing. I'll keep an eye on that weld.

BB

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BruceBrown said:
You guys are scaring me. My Dos is on its third season for XC racing. I'll keep an eye on that weld.

BB
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm 200 lbs and (obviously) brake hard on the downhills. I do a lot of extended rides (20+ miles) and have several enduros on that frame. My backyard trail is very technical on both climbs and descents. Basically, I'm just saying that my bikes get worked over. Believe me, I am not complaining about the breakage, I've actually been wondering if / when I'd break scandium!

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
Way to go Salsa!

The only issue I've ever had with a Salsa product was also taken care of pronto by Jason. Really great company.

And :thumbsup: k2biker for posting in such a positive light.

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
...so you contacted them on MONDAY, and didn't get results until the following THURSDAY...???
What took them so long...???
Seriously....:confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
They Done Me Right

I had my new Salsa develop a hairline fracture at the base of the frame where the Relish shock is secure- My LBS called and they had a new frame in the mail the next day- no hassles or questions!!! Great Company

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wish Niner was like this. I've sent them email about a cracked frame and am yet to get a response. when I bought a different new frame from them recently they also dropped the ball. it seems like nobody is there running the show.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
vortrex said:
I wish Niner was like this. I've sent them email about a cracked frame and am yet to get a response. when I bought a different new frame from them recently they also dropped the ball. it seems like nobody is there running the show.
Sounds like you need a little spice in your life! Use the pepper power, dude.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also have had only good experiences with Salsa. I haven't had a breakage on my El Mariachi (amazing bike), but I have sent several questions through email. I have always gotten a timely and satisfactory answer, usually the next day. Unless something drastic in the management happens, they'll get my business again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
vortrex said:
Did you follow up that email with a phone call? There are spam filters, delays (I have seen emails arrive up to 2 weeks delayed) etc. If it's important, follow up with a phone call.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.