Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i asked this questions in another thread. i figure i may get a few more answers as its owne thread since the other was about broken marys.

here's my situation (235lbs with gear on a steel rigid) i rode the space bars, and loved them. then the broke, and i didn't want to ride bendy aluminum bars anymore. i got a 28" wide riser bar which i liked, but i wan't totaly in love with. it was a tad too wide and i wanted more sweep. i ordered some luv handles which just were not for me. they were too stiff, so i sold them. i decided to order some misfit fubars. i have been riding them for a month or so now. i like the bend and the strenth, but i think they might be too narrow. they feel real twitchy for me a low speed. i think that is due to my old bars being so wide. no i am looking at the moto ace and the torsion bars. these two bars are very similar in width, and bend. has anyone riden both or either that has input? what i am most interested in if anybody has broken the moto ace. i am also interested to see how stiff the torsion bars are. i would like this to be that last set of bars i order for a little while.
thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
salsa bar

Capt.

Hey there. Can't comment on the surly, other than I have wanted one for some time now, but I do have a set of salsa pro moto oversized flat bars with a 17 degree bend. They are super stiff, and wide! I left them uncut, because I like them wide on my bikes. If you can, get the pro moto, and not the moto ace, a step up in alum. I also think they will be wider than the surly bars. You say you still don't have those luvs? I might be interested if you indeed have them. pm me.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the luvs were sold within hours of my first comment that i didn't like them months ago. sorry

if i go pro moto i need to go with the 11 degree bend. i don't have an oversized stem. i recently got a thompson 25.4, so i don't want to spend the cash on a new stem. my biggest reservation of the moto ace is the lesser grade aluminum. that's why i was asking about breakage issues.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
the luvs were sold within hours of my first comment that i didn't like them months ago. sorry

if i go pro moto i need to go with the 11 degree bend. i don't have an oversized stem. i recently got a thompson 25.4, so i don't want to spend the cash on a new stem. my biggest reservation of the moto ace is the lesser grade aluminum. that's why i was asking about breakage issues.
The Moto Ace does exist in a 25.4mm / 17deg combo (Speedgoat FTW!)

As for the difference between 7075 (Pro Moto) and 2014 (Moto Ace), I'm not sure either

Edit: According to Wikipedia they have very similar yield strengths. I would have to do more searching to find direct comparisons for the two alloys. However, WP does state that 2014 is commonly used for major structural aircraft components and truck frame components. I don't think strength will be the issue

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the CF version of the moto ace (OS, not 25.4), and like it a lot. I'm a clyde (235 or so, nekkid), but I really feel that CF is really very strong. That said, I have thought about a cro-mo bar, just in case. I am on a fully rigid bike, and that seems like a lot of abuse for any bar...

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
That's strange you found the luv handles too stiff, since they're steel. Were they at the same riding height as the other bars?

I've considered getting the 17 degree Moto Ace, but with that much backsweep and only 177g, I've avoided it because I was afraid it might break (and I ride confidently on a Mary bar, which I believe is the same as the Space Bar. And I went back to the Mary after breaking a titanium bar...). Btw, the Pro Moto not only uses a stronger metal, but is almost 50% heavier, too.

If you really like the Space bar, the Titec h-bar has a very similar rise/sweep, is heavier and a hair wider, uses a weld instead of a bend, and I'd guess considerably stronger. But retails at over $70 I think.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Ryder1 said:
I've considered getting the 17 degree Moto Ace, but with that much backsweep and only 177g, I've avoided it because I was afraid it might break (and I ride confidently on a Mary bar, which I believe is the same as the Space Bar. And I went back to the Mary after breaking a titanium bar...).
I don't think 17deg is a significant enough bend to worry.
Here is a picture i found on the forum of the 25.4mm 17deg Moto Ace compared to a Mary. Notice how subtle the bend looks in comparison. Also here is a picture of the 15deg Surly showing that this range of bar sweep requires nothing significant in terms of bar construction or design

Ryder1 said:
Btw, the Pro Moto not only uses a stronger metal, but is almost 50% heavier, too.
The 25.4mm Pro Moto is only 10g heavier than the 25.4mm Moto Ace. The weight of the 31.8mm Pro Moto probably has more to do with the extra material for the OS clamp and the fact that it is 2 inches wider

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's strange you found the luv handles too stiff, since they're steel. Were they at the same riding height as the other bars?
i agree that it is strange. with my size i would expect a little give from steel, but they beat the hell out of me. they were the same height at the others.

last night i decided to pull the fubars and put my old riser bars back on. they have an 8 degree back sweep. i managed to in crease that slightly by angeling them back just a hair. sitting on the bike they feel good. i will test it tomorrow on the trail.

thanks for all the thoughts and input.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
ti fat bars + rouge grips = pretty good... but getting a wide high sweep model isn't cheap... glad i like traditional old 23" type mine is an airborne but you can find pretty much the same thing on ebay for about $50... i know the custom builder guys will build you a custom speced TI bar... but it's not cheap...

out of curiosity... how much you sell the LUV for?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Ryder1 said:
That's strange you found the luv handles too stiff, since they're steel
Steel does not have to imply comfy at all. Any material can be overbuilt to create an unforgiving product

People usually equate aluminum with stiffness for bike parts because they have to be designed this way; flex in aluminum leads to fatigue failure. Steel can be built with more give and not have the same problem, or it can be built just as stiff.

·
Suffering Mightily
215 Posts
The torsion bar is very comfortable. I used mine on an old cross check after DX'ing the drop bars. I also have a set of the aluminum Salsa flat bars on my KM. I prefer the steel bars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.