Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of the recent build for your enjoyment.

Build Highlights:

Modified Maverick SC32 (very easy to do)
Goodridge Brake Lines (wow what a difference)
Power Cordz cables
DT Swiss 240 rear hub/Maverick front hub
I have taken off the H-bar and put on a flat bar and the bike now handles quicker.

Ride Highlights:

The Maverick fork is stiff, tracks great, and and does just what a suspension fork should... make you forget it is there (the conversion is extemely easy). The Salsa frame is a great handling bike. The Relish shock takes just enough harshness off to be noticeable smoother than a hardtail. This bike likes to be ridden at speed and is an absolute blast to ride. I think this is a perfect bike for Midwestern single track (no extended downhills, sometimes rocky, rooty, and twisty hardpack with short steep climbs)

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Simple,

Two spacers made from Delrin or the like, about 9.8mm ID & 25 OD on the tops of the damping/air shafts.

Keeping the same size air chamber the fork would bottom too easily if the travel was reduced so increasing the oil height to reduce the air chamber would reduce to volume of the air chamber slightly and sort that.

P::..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Conversion

I had every intention of shooting a pictoral of the conversion, but those pesky costumers kept distracting me :) . Maverick is testing a conversion kit for this fork and are just waiting for the trails to dry out so they can get some real time on the converted fork. I was told late by late May (hopefully) they will offer a converison kit. Until then...

Buy some nylon spacers from the hardware store totaling ~30mm in height. OD 25mm and ID 10mm (I had to drill out the ID a little bit).

Take off the damper adjust/travel adjust knob with a screwdriver.

Remove the hollow 10mm bolt that holds the dampening rod to the uppers. This is where my pics stop but it is still very easy from here.

After removing the bolt the lowers will just pull out, a small amount of oil will come out as well ~15cc.

Place your nylon spacers, in my case three of them, on top of the black rubber bottom out bumper on the top of the dampining rod.

Reinsert the lowers into the uppers. Before installing the 10mm hollow bolt put in ~15cc of 5wt shock oil, be very careful tightening this bolt down it is soft. (If you are not careful and monkey f*ck the bolt, the nice folks at Maverick might send you a replacement and you will get detailed knowledge of the damping unit removing the broken bolt ;) )

Now repeat on the air side.

Maverick does not have a sevice manual for the SC32, but the DUC is essentially the same and you can download the manual here:
http://www.maverickamerican.com/owner_tech/manuals.aspx

I am getting ~80mm of travel, but I am still playing with the air pressure and have come NO where near bottoming anything out.

I think it is a legit option for a 29" suspension fork and personally think it is the sexiest looking option!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Damn that's what I wanted to build. That would be a sweet 2 hour and under race bike to go along with my new sugar. Oh well, I want a new road bike first, then a cross bike, then the Salsa, then the...................It never ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.