Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok All Need help. I have an one 9 SS. Now since I liked the 29er ride I am looking to build a XC racing bike. I have the Carbon Rush 2 that i will use on really hard stuff. I also have a Cannondale Raven that have been racing for years.

Like to see what you think on these two frames. Will run a Rock Shox race 80 mm fork.

The build will be Sram X9 I already have most of the componets to build the bike. Just need the frame and the items that are spec to that frame.

Thanks all

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pretty similar

Wow, that's a tough one. I have an Air9 and have been pretty happy with it on fast XC. The Mamasita's carbon seatstays would seem to be the primary difference. I'd think that you'd really have to demo both set up quite similar on the same terrain to really judge well.

Just keep in mind that any Scandium frame cannot be powder coated like regular aluminum, so that the paint will chip off when the bike sees genuine action.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 07 Mamasita that I have been riding for over a year. I have been very pleased with the handling. I have run it both 80 and 100 mm of travel with a reba.With 80mm travel the bike is very quick to turn in but doesn't feel at all squirelly. The 09 models have been modified to work with the greater rake of newer forks. p.s. my paint has held up as well as can be expected for non powder coat and actually being ridden.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Have ridden both and did the Air9 did not live up to the hype for me.
I like my Mamasita very much and have done several long rides on it with lots of climbing and descending. I have it set up with an 09 Reba set up at 80mm and the steering is far quicker (but not twitchy) than I have had with any of my previous suspended 29ers.

3M protective tape will ensure that your paint looks good for years to come even if you are actually riding your bike. A double layer on the chainstay will protect those graphics from chainslap without having to cover them up under ugly neoprene.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I have a Salsa Mamasita and the only reason it's for sale is I have a custom dream ti/carbon/travel 29er hardtail/Softtail/SS being built of my own design by a friend and I this winter.

Otherwise it's a winner and I wouldn't think of selling it. Plus I have the 2007 model which I think has better graphics than the new one.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have ridden an '08 Mamasita and I own an '09 AIR9. They are both high quality XC killers I am just not a fan of the TEX-MEX paint schemes. IMO they are a bit gaudy. However, they both come with Outstanding Customer Service. As far as XC racing goes... "Ride and Smile" or "Pedal Damn It". I know I am not smiling as I hunt riders down (more of a devilish grin). Just sayin'.

PF

·
prefers the wide stance
147 Posts
i have a niner mcr 1x9 and a mama eno'd ss with carbon up front. i think the geo is the same on all hardtail niners. love both bikes, but i prefer the handling of the mama. i just like the steeper head tube angle, even though i was worried about it before i rode it. i will be dropping the reba from 100 to 80 this winter on the mcr to get a bit quicker steering out of it.

and the rear end of the mama does dampen the bumps some. its noticeable to me. i honestly think it might be as cush to ride as the mcr.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Trouble deciding too....

TR said:
Have ridden both and did the Air9 did not live up to the hype for me.
I like my Mamasita very much and have done several long rides on it with lots of climbing and descending. I have it set up with an 09 Reba set up at 80mm and the steering is far quicker (but not twitchy) than I have had with any of my previous suspended 29ers.

3M protective tape will ensure that your paint looks good for years to come even if you are actually riding your bike. A double layer on the chainstay will protect those graphics from chainslap without having to cover them up under ugly neoprene.
I'm in the market for a light frame to set up fully rigid with a 2x9 tranny.

It's going to get a lot of out of the saddle hammering like a SS. Iim 180# plus gear and like to mash the gears.

BB area stiffness is pretty important. Which would you folks say is going to give a latterally stiffer ride?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.