Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a new drivetrain on my Mamasita. Using Sram X.0 trigger shifters. When I space the shifters inboard enough on my bars to make my thumbs happy, it creates a VERY tight bend to run the shifter cables to the downtube cable stops.

I tried running the cables around the headtube, and crossing the cables under the downtube, but the cables rubbed the downtube, so that is less than optimal.

Anyone had this issue, know of any other tricks that I am not thinking of?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bar width

Bars are around 24" wide. Not super wide, but not really narrow in my book either. They are good for me, so I don't really want to use wider bars just to solve a cable routing problem.

I can make it work as is, I will just have a super tight bend and probably end up with lots of cable rub on the head tube.

I was just wondering if there are any other tricks out there that I am not thinking of.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
KonaSS said:
I tried running the cables around the headtube, and crossing the cables under the downtube, but the cables rubbed the downtube, so that is less than optimal.
Maybe put a bunch of cable donuts on the cable underneath the downtube where they rub? I know this trick (crossing the cables under the downtube) works much better on a steel frame (skinnier tubes) but it might solve the problem for you?

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
KonaSS said:
I am putting a new drivetrain on my Mamasita. Using Sram X.0 trigger shifters. When I space the shifters inboard enough on my bars to make my thumbs happy, it creates a VERY tight bend to run the shifter cables to the downtube cable stops.

Anyone had this issue, know of any other tricks that I am not thinking of?

Thanks in advance.
I'm running the cables crossing under the downtube, and while they do rub against eachother, it's not a problem from a shifting standpoint whatsoever, and my frame has stayed cable rub-free for six months now with no real frame prep in that area. Sweet!

That's what I did...

Edit... I just re-read your post and noticed that you said "Mamasita" and not "El Mariachi"... Perhaps I need to get my eyes checked. That changes things a bit. The cable stops are clearly a little different in placement on that bike, and yeah, it does get a little downtube rub when you run 'em crossed. The best solution I can think of would be a sealed housing like a Gore RideOn cable system, where the sliding cable is sheathed inside a sealed outer housing. That'd keep friction and rubbing on the paint at bay at least. Good luck!!!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.