Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Re-post from bike & frame) I just got a Salsa Flip Lock QR seat collar. This thing it asthetically beautiful but mechanically, it is a POS. Feel like I got ripped off for almost $30. The thing just doesn't hold unless I tighten it so much that the lever won't open all the way. Then it won't release, negating the QR aspect of this collar.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine works fine on my Intense 5.5, but it does need to be pretty tight to hold my 220 lb butt in place. They do come in a dizzying array of sizes, I'm with the Dan.gerous one - are you sure you have the right size?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is on a steel frame, a Ragley Blue Pig. The ST is a 29.8 while the collar is 30.0. Ragley's web site states that you can use a 30mm collar.
My issue is that when I get it tight enough to hold it holds great but it will not open all the way in order to adjust the seat post. Once it is tight enough I need to use an allen wrench to loosen it if I want to adjust the seat tube.
I was thinking that I might put some rim tape around the ST in order to give the QR mech enough space to open all the way after being torqued to where it holds the post. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Send it back for the lip lock ;) The lip lock on my steel frame is great. I want to say that at the time I was ordering it, I read about issues with the flip lock just like the ones you're having.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I've identified and solved the problem. When tightened enough for sufficient torque that the post doesn't move the bolt protrudes past the barrel nut and interferes with the cam arm. I bought a shorter bolt and wahla, problem solved. Salsa should make the barrel nut bigger or use a shorter bolt. Worst case, they should supply a washer/shim to keep the bolt from going beyond the barrel nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.