Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Salsa Flip Lock QR seat collar. This thing it asthetically beautiful but mechanically, it is a POS. Feel like I got ripped off for almost $30. The thing just doesn't hold unless I tighten it so much that the lever won't open all the way. Then it won't release, negating the QR aspect of this collar.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
No issues with mine. Works perfectly every time.

Maybe it's your seatpost that's the problem. Was the fit into the seattube OK before you got the Salsa clamp or is it new too?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frame, seatpost & collar all new. Just built this bike. The frame is a Blue Pig, seat post is a Syncros. Didn't expect this problem to arise.

dogonfr, I'd actually rather not have to send this back and pay more for a hope. I just know that hope has a different locking system and thought that might work. If I could get a Forte clamp from performance - they don't have this size, I'd use that. I have one of theirs on another bike and it works great and was only $10.

I will first try to find a different bolt that I can loosen with my fingers so I can still use this clamp. It looks good and is definitely well made. I have heard from some others on a re-post that they've had the same issues on a steel frame too.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's a frame issue, and I don't know if this is a trend or not but I've had this issue with all my newer frames (never had it on my old (90's era) frames. If your frame/seatpost interface is a little loose, a lot of the seat clamps just don't work. I've had pretty good luck with the Woodman Deathgrip seatclamps. They come in a lot of sizes and are very good quality clamps at a great price. And in a worse-case scenario go to a beefy non-QR clamp like the Surly Constrictor . That thing has some serious clamping power.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trailville, that is interesting. The only thing I don't like about this clamp is that once I get it tight enough to hold the seat, it will not release. The lever will open half way but there is still too much pressure to move the seat post. Like I said, it negates the QR aspect of this clamp. I figure that if I can close the clamp w/ a specific pressure then I should be able to open the clamp with the same pressure. If this is an inherent problem with this clamp, Salsa should make the bolt accessable by hand like some other QR clamps that I've used. It would be fine if I could loosen the bolt with my fingers. A knurled bolt head that protrudes from the collar would do just fine.
Damn, it is just a seat collar. A $30 one at that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all ! You might want to put a drop of oil on the QR cam . This really helps it open and close better with more clamping power as you can tighten it up just a wee bit more . I also lubricate the QR for the wheels.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ibis, I tried tri-flow already. I'll try a little park grase and see if that does the trick. Like I've said before, it isn't a case of the clamp not holding tight enough. It is that the clamp won't fully open back up after it has been tightened enough to hold the post securely.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The amount of deflection via the eccentric cam action on the Salsa (just purchased another last week, and have "old" ones) is totally adequate if the seat-tube ID and OD are to specification.

What you are describing is a classic case of the seat tube ID being too large, or the seatpost OD being too small.

Remove the Salsa component- does the seatpost "rattle" around?

The Salsa clamp should slide smoothly onto the exposed seat-tube without any noticeable play with the binder all the way relaxed also. If it passes this test, then your issue is with the seat-tube ID or the post, not the Salsa component.

I have seen this many times before, some guys custom turn a shim and run a 27.2 post for instance, because the seat-tube was reamed oversize. Post diameters also vary.

Your condition is a no-go in my book, because you will be lacking a degree of support that a well fitting seatpost provides-

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I've identified and solved the problem. When tightened enough for sufficient torque that the post doesn't move the bolt protrudes past the barrel nut and interferes with the cam arm. I bought a shorter bolt and wahla, problem solved. Salsa should make the barrel nut bigger or use a shorter bolt. Worst case, they should supply a washer/shim to keep the bolt from going beyond the barrel nut.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Something is still wrong-

Unless the provided fastener was too long (Salsa mistake) the fastener will either be flush with the threaded barrel/cylinder or slightly below flush if everything is working properly.

If it is protruding enough to actually contact the lever arm and the fastener is the correct spec'd size, then something is wrong, very wrong.

If the fastener was too long, no harm, no foul, but if your compensation gap is damn near closed up when the clamp secures the seatpost, then you have an issue past the clamp.

Bicycle accessory Metal Bicycle part Close-up Steel

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Black Composite material Carbon

Correct install with everything to spec (Syncros post)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well then I guess I have an issue then. Yes, the gap is pretty much closed all the way. The seat tube outer diameter is 29.8. Ragley states that a 30mm clamp will do. We're only talking about .2mm anyway. That is like 2 pieces of paper in thickness.

·
Registered
74 Posts
More than likely, your seat-tube OD is fine, I think it is a seat-tube ID or seatpost issue (more than likely seat-tube ID).

You can also try some "shop" posts they might have around, and check the fit. Once the seatpost goes in maybe 4" or so, there should be no noticeable slop if everything was done to spec.

You will get it squared away, this is pretty common nowadays!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hannibal, had the OD and ID measured. ID good, OD off by .5mm so a 29.8 becomes 29.3. I had them measure twice. So, the fact that Salsa doesn't leave much of a gap/space on their 30.0 collar and the fact that there is .7mm difference I have a small issue. I shimmed the collar with a piece of coke can and it holds well.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
mnigro said:
Frame, seatpost & collar all new. Just built this bike. The frame is a Blue Pig, seat post is a Syncros. Didn't expect this problem to arise.

dogonfr, I'd actually rather not have to send this back and pay more for a hope. I just know that hope has a different locking system and thought that might work. If I could get a Forte clamp from performance - they don't have this size, I'd use that. I have one of theirs on another bike and it works great and was only $10.

I will first try to find a different bolt that I can loosen with my fingers so I can still use this clamp. It looks good and is definitely well made. I have heard from some others on a re-post that they've had the same issues on a steel frame too.
Sorry for the false assumption but I would still contact Salsa. :cool:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
mnigro said:
hannibal, had the OD and ID measured. ID good, OD off by .5mm so a 29.8 becomes 29.3. I had them measure twice. So, the fact that Salsa doesn't leave much of a gap/space on their 30.0 collar and the fact that there is .7mm difference I have a small issue. I shimmed the collar with a piece of coke can and it holds well.
mnigro said:
The seat tube outer diameter is 29.8. Ragley states that a 30mm clamp will do. We're only talking about .2mm anyway. That is like 2 pieces of paper in thickness.
It's surprising how little tolerance seat collars have. I also had a frame that was designed for a 29.8 seat collar and I tried using several 30.0 quick releases (including a Salsa, coincidentally), and just couldn't get it to work. A 30.0 bolt-on Surly Constrictor worked and so did a 29.8 Woodman Deathgrip Quick Release.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.